Anyone else find the doors "tinny" and how to remove the door cards?

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Russboy

Anyone else find the doors "tinny" and how to remove the door cards?

Post by Russboy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:35 am

Whenever I wash my car the doors sound a little tinny, like an old mini, when the washmitt passes over them, there also seems to be quite a bit of flex to them. I guess it may be down to weight saving, costs cutting etc.

Tempted to hook the door cards off and put on some of the sound deadening sheets I have on the inside edges. Anyone removed the door cards before, easy enough to do?
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display, Swivelling Tow Bar, fully lined boot for protection from the hounds!

Essjay

Re: Anyone else find the doors "tinny" and how to remove the door cards?

Post by Essjay » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 am

Hi Russ, have a look at this video where the guy has to remove the front door card to change the speaker.........

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:01 am

Essjay wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 am
Hi Russ, have a look at this video where the guy has to remove the front door card to change the speaker.........

Steve
Cheers Steve.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display, Swivelling Tow Bar, fully lined boot for protection from the hounds!

carib230sel

Post by carib230sel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:12 am

I wouldn't bother trying to do anything to the outer metal skin of the door unless you are planning to run some hardcore aftermarket speakers at high bass levels ! You'd have to not only take the door card off, which is a PITA if it's your first time, you'd also have to remove the speaker and that means drilling out old rivets and then re-riveting at the end. An even bigger PITA.

Mk2 Tiguan is actually pretty good for insulation of noise via the doors. And pretty much throughout the cabin. And even if the metal of the door skin is a bit thin, it won't be especially resonated by structure borne vibration as it's largely isolated from the rest of the body.
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:37 am

carib230sel wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:12 am
I wouldn't bother trying to do anything to the outer metal skin of the door unless you are planning to run some hardcore aftermarket speakers at high bass levels ! You'd have to not only take the door card off, which is a PITA if it's your first time, you'd also have to remove the speaker and that means drilling out old rivets and then re-riveting at the end. An even bigger PITA.

Mk2 Tiguan is actually pretty good for insulation of noise via the doors. And pretty much throughout the cabin. And even if the metal of the door skin is a bit thin, it won't be especially resonated by structure borne vibration as it's largely isolated from the rest of the body.
There looks to be a rubber/plastic trim that can be removed to access the outer door skin so that's the route I would take.

Although I am tempted to upgrade the speakers whist in there, saw there a thread on it but the links are old now so out of date. Taking the door card off doesn't phase me, as looks to be 3 bolts, then the usual poppers and disconnect cable, plus I have a proper trim removal kit for such a job.

My theory is some sheets of sound insolation on the inside will simply stop a bit of the flex, remove the tinny noise when shutting the door. Wouldn't be fitting them for their internal acoustic abilities. Plus they are sitting in my shed doing nothing after I installed a load and upgraded the speakers in my Abarth.

carib230sel

Post by carib230sel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:58 am

Probably my thread re the speakers. If you search ebay for "eton tiguan f2.1" for the fronts, you can still get them from Germany for about £230 plus postage. Not sure what customs duty situation is ? Still very happy with mine.

Yes, you can get to the rear half of the outer door skin via that removable flexible panel, and you can get to the front half via the speaker aperture. Will stop trying to put you off if you are comfortable with doing this kind of stuff :)
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:02 pm

carib230sel wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:58 am
Probably my thread re the speakers. If you search ebay for "eton tiguan f2.1" for the fronts, you can still get them from Germany for about £230 plus postage. Not sure what customs duty situation is ? Still very happy with mine.

Yes, you can get to the rear half of the outer door skin via that removable flexible panel, and you can get to the front half via the speaker aperture. Will stop trying to put you off if you are comfortable with doing this kind of stuff :)
Yes I think it was your post I was looking at.

No sellers in the UK so will def get hit with tax on import no we're out of the EU. Might see if there are alternatives out there, although to be fair I don't think the standard system is all that bad.

Door cards off doesn't phase me. Been off several times on the Abarth, as well as the front bumper and the same for the front and rear bumper on multiple occasions on my S4. I don't mind getting stuck in!

chrisb

Post by chrisb » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am

Russboy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:37 am
carib230sel wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:12 am

There looks to be a rubber/plastic trim that can be removed to access the outer door skin so that's the route I would take.

Although I am tempted to upgrade the speakers whist in there, saw there a thread on it but the links are old now so out of date. Taking the door card off doesn't phase me, as looks to be 3 bolts, then the usual poppers and disconnect cable, plus I have a proper trim removal kit for such a job.

My theory is some sheets of sound insolation on the inside will simply stop a bit of the flex, remove the tinny noise when shutting the door. Wouldn't be fitting them for their internal acoustic abilities. Plus they are sitting in my shed doing nothing after I installed a load and upgraded the speakers in my Abarth.
I would buy a packet of poppers before you take the door cards off. Easily available got mine off ebay. You’ll be doing very well if none break!!
2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Was a pretty easy job in the end.

Much nicer "thud" now when shutting the doors.

Not sure if the sound difference comes out, but I did the drivers side and the video was taken with the door card off and the door open on that door, passenger was as standard, did that afterwards. -

carib230sel

Post by carib230sel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:07 pm

Nice, I'd forgotten how big that plasticky access panel is in the inner door skin.