Panoramic sunroof

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Zakr

Panoramic sunroof

Post by Zakr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi,
New here so apologies if this has been asked before. I’m looking at getting a 21 plate r line but don’t know to go for the panoramic sunroof? I’d like one but are they as unreliable and leak as often as I’m lead to believe?
Iv also done some research on the warranty and the sunroof is only covered for 6 months/6500 miles, is there any way to extend that warranty for peace of mind?
Thanks
Zak

thejanners

Re: Panoramic sunroof

Post by thejanners » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:21 am

The sunroofs appear to ok normally, but a lot of VW Group owners have had problems with leakage which has caused a lot of damage to the interior.
This is well documented on other forums

On this forum, members have removed the drain tube blanks (inc myself although only the rears were fitted on my R Line Tech)

For me personally, if I was to order a new vehicle in the future, I would probably omit the roof.
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:27 am

I have the pano sunroof on my SEL, and rarely, if ever, open the roof. You can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times it’s been opened in the last 4½ years. The sun blind gets used quite often to let light into the car when needed, and shut it out when not needed. I just don’t see the need to open the roof when you have adequate air-con!.
I really wish more manufacturers would offer a full length glass (non opening) roof for those like me who just want extra light now and again. Nissan have done it with the latest Qashqai, so why can’t VW have the option?

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Hartside

Post by Hartside » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:51 am

Essjay wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:27 am
I have the pano sunroof on my SEL, and rarely, if ever, open the roof. You can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times it’s been opened in the last 4½ years. The sun blind gets used quite often to let light into the car when needed, and shut it out when not needed. I just don’t see the need to open the roof when you have adequate air-con!.
I really wish more manufacturers would offer a full length glass (non opening) roof for those like me who just want extra light now and again. Nissan have done it with the latest Qashqai, so why can’t VW have the option?

Steve
Exactly! I opened mine when I first bought the car in June 2017 and it hasn’t been opened since. I love the way it makes the cabin a brighter place to be and a fixed glass panel would suit me miles better.
Now gone - 2.0 TSI SEL 4motion DSG, Indium Grey, reverse camera and park assist

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:14 pm

The JLR brand offer panoramic roofs also and agree with others about not opening the sunroof, I think I only opened mine when I picked up the car from new but i do like the extra light as others have mentioned.

It a tough call as it’s a lot of money for extra light if it’s not a standard feature.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

Statto1927

Post by Statto1927 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:54 pm

+1 for the idea of a non opening sunroof. The one on my SEL leaked (fixed under warranty but that's not the point). I also had a Renault Scenic once that had a leaky sunroof when the drains clogged. When it happened on my SEL I swore I'd never get another car with a sunroof, and yet here I am with my new Elegance this week :D - but it comes as standard and with all the other kit the Elegance model is a no-brainer value wise.
I echo those above - I rarely open the sunroof, but having the light flood (oops, perhaps wrong choice of words :lol: ) the car is great. Horses for courses I suppose. You tend only to hear about the problems, not the people who have never had a problem.
2021 - Elegance 1.5TSi 150 DSG Nightshade Blue (stock apart from spare wheel)
2017-2021 -SEL 2.0 150 TDI DSG Caribbean Blue 4Motion

ExAudiSi

Post by ExAudiSi » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:10 pm

I have a pan roof and rarely have the blind closed. I often have the roof tilted in warmer weather, but don't fully open it all that often.

I hope mine doesn't start to leak as I may change my view, but I really like having it at the moment. I've removed the spider traps and use Gummi Pflege to keep the seals in good condition.
67 Plate, Pure White Tiguan 2.0TDI 4 Motion manual, electric tailgate, Miramar Grey 20" alloys and sports suspension.

leehal

Post by leehal » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:45 am

I haven't driven mine much due to lockdown, when I do go out I have the roof open most of the time (weather dependent!). Takes me back to the days of my Saab convertible, almost.
Tiguan MK2 - MY20 2.0TDi R Line Tech 4Motion DSG in white with DCC

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:57 am

I drove mine with the roof open on a lovely sunny and warm spring day last week that seems like months ago. Around town it was fine. As soon as I headed out of town on to national speed limit roads, I got an ECO warning to close the roof at speeds above 30mph.
2021 Tiguan Elegance Deep Black Pearlescent 1.5 DSG Petrol

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:51 am

It wouldn't bother me if my next car had no sunroof, and I certainly would be paying around a grand for one.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.