Elegance First Proper run out impressions

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
tmg349

Elegance First Proper run out impressions

Post by tmg349 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi All, I have owned my 1.5 Tsi Elegance since the end of January and until yesterday had not really had the opportunity to drive any significant distance. Anyway I made a long journey yesterday in daylight and nighttime a d thought I’d share my impressions of the car.

1.5 TSI - managed to achieve an overall 40 mpg over the whole journey, mostly motorway and dual carriageway driving, so not too bad. The engine is smooth, quiet and responsive. Stop start was seemless and responsive too.

AirCon Slides - I did not have a problem with changing the setting, although it can be a little distracting. IMO I don’t change the settings that often and choose my moment to avoid problems.

Infotainment - I had the Harman Kardon upgrade and Discover Pro upgrade and have to say the sound is simply awesome, not as much bass as the DynAudio system and Crystal clear sound. I used AppleMusic via in car streaming, which is excellent. The Navigation system has been updated and I had no problems, in fact it is significantly better than the previous version. Clear and timely instructions and very good graphics.

ACC - Generally very good, although occasions where the speed is randomly changed, other members have reported this. You just have to be aware that the car can suddenly start to slow or speed up, and correct it. Hope a fix is released soon.

Steering - very light compared to the previous TDi, maybe due to less weight at the front of the car. Just a case of getting used to it.

iQ Lights - Simply AWESOME....mush better than the previous SEL lights. Extremely bright and quick response to oncoming cars. I cannot state how good these lights are.

So there we are, impressions of a first proper drive out. I hope this is useful to you all.

Happy Easter, enjoy the chocolate
1.5 Tsi DSG 150, Elegance, Nightshade Blue, Area View, Harmon Karden Sound, Discover Pro, Wireless Charging, Heated Windscreen and Ergo Active Seats. Ordered 19 Nov 20 Delivered 30 Jan 21. PrevIous 2.0 Tdi DSG 150 SEL

Essjay

Re: Elegance First Proper run out impressions

Post by Essjay » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi tmg349, glad to hear you’re pleased with the new model. On the old Dynamic lights the main beam operate speed was 37mph, and I believe they reduced the speed that the main beam now operates on the iQ lights to 30 mph. Did you notice it , and if so did it make using it better on country roads?.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

tmg349

Post by tmg349 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:43 pm

Essjay, the lights do get to main beam earlier and deliver a really good beam on all roads. They seem to react much more quickly then the previous Dynamic lights and no seemed to be dazzled by them. Really impressive
1.5 Tsi DSG 150, Elegance, Nightshade Blue, Area View, Harmon Karden Sound, Discover Pro, Wireless Charging, Heated Windscreen and Ergo Active Seats. Ordered 19 Nov 20 Delivered 30 Jan 21. PrevIous 2.0 Tdi DSG 150 SEL

Statto1927

Post by Statto1927 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I only picked my elegance 1.5TSI up on Tuesday, so haven't done more than about a 7 mile trip yet, but loving it so far. Can't wait for a longer run. All being well we're away in North Wales for a week during May, so a real chance to test it out.
2021 - Elegance 1.5TSi 150 DSG Nightshade Blue (stock apart from spare wheel)
2017-2021 -SEL 2.0 150 TDI DSG Caribbean Blue 4Motion

carib230sel

Post by carib230sel » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 am

Pleased to see so many people happy with their switch from diesel to the 1.5 tsi. There is less torque, and you do have to work it harder but it's such a sweet little unit and the fuel economy is great. Unlike the 2.0 tsi............
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

Statto1927

Post by Statto1927 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:43 pm

Averaged almost 41mpg today, albeit on a short 16 mile trip on (mostly) A roads and some smaller roads. Still very early days (only about 200 miles on the clock), so some a bit more data/time needed, but assuming longer term Mpg will become more evident as the engine settles down. My long trip to N Wales next month (fairly loaded) should be an interesting experiment.
2021 - Elegance 1.5TSi 150 DSG Nightshade Blue (stock apart from spare wheel)
2017-2021 -SEL 2.0 150 TDI DSG Caribbean Blue 4Motion

fox2319

Post by fox2319 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:11 pm

I've just picked mine up today and done around 150 miles on varied A roads, city centre and motorway. Overall, I'm very pleased with the car and the engine / gearbox combo. Very relaxing to drive in all conditions, great visibility all round. I only have a couple of very minor complaints

1. The HUD could do with having a bit more adjustment. I'm 6ft and had the seat in the lowest position and could just see the data at one end of it's range.
2. The sat nav (not really great at coping with Bristol's new layouts. Prob not it's fault really but I'm just used to Google / Waze having up to the minute data
3. Auto gearbox did give me a bit of a volume pedal at times when I was trying to pull out and overtake.
4. We have a steep driveway which the car tried to do in 2nd and was struggling a bit. I'll just have to learn to kick it over to manual and force first gear.

All in all, very minor niggles but the pros of the car far outweight the cons. 150 miles of driving in a day (after a 3 hour train / bus journey to get to the garage) and I am feeling absolutely fine.

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:28 am

@fox2319, point 3, an often called out issue due to a combination of the DSG and accelerator settings.
Many people have changed the setting for the throttle repsonse behaviour using Carista or OBDII from Gradual, controlled by time to Direct, controlled by threshold
I've gone one further and got a pedal box which can adjust from super soft and slow reaction to almost a switch. I had to dial it back a bit from max :)
It can't overcome the way the DSG behaves though and can still feel a little woolly on take off.
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Blackstar

Post by Blackstar » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Did you try flicking it into S when pulling away? I tend do do this almost automatically now at some locations, such as staggered side road junctions crossing faster roads, which we have lots of around here.

Might also help on your steep drive?
Does that need AutoHold on by the way? I've never found a situation arise where I've needed to use it on mine yet.
2019 2.0 TDI (190 ps) SEL SCR 4MOTION DSG Atlantic Blue metallic swivelling towbar

chillyman50

Post by chillyman50 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 pm

tmg349 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 pm
Hi All, I have owned my 1.5 Tsi Elegance since the end of January and until yesterday had not really had the opportunity to drive any significant distance. Anyway I made a long journey yesterday in daylight and nighttime a d thought I’d share my impressions of the car.

1.5 TSI - managed to achieve an overall 40 mpg over the whole journey, mostly motorway and dual carriageway driving, so not too bad. The engine is smooth, quiet and responsive. Stop start was seemless and responsive too.

AirCon Slides - I did not have a problem with changing the setting, although it can be a little distracting. IMO I don’t change the settings that often and choose my moment to avoid problems.

Infotainment - I had the Harman Kardon upgrade and Discover Pro upgrade and have to say the sound is simply awesome, not as much bass as the DynAudio system and Crystal clear sound. I used AppleMusic via in car streaming, which is excellent. The Navigation system has been updated and I had no problems, in fact it is significantly better than the previous version. Clear and timely instructions and very good graphics.

ACC - Generally very good, although occasions where the speed is randomly changed, other members have reported this. You just have to be aware that the car can suddenly start to slow or speed up, and correct it. Hope a fix is released soon.

Steering - very light compared to the previous TDi, maybe due to less weight at the front of the car. Just a case of getting used to it.

iQ Lights - Simply AWESOME....mush better than the previous SEL lights. Extremely bright and quick response to oncoming cars. I cannot state how good these lights are.

So there we are, impressions of a first proper drive out. I hope this is useful to you all.

Happy Easter, enjoy the chocolate
FIRST thanks for the update interesting
i am sticking with the diesel, both are finished come 2030 and i prefer the 54mpg i get on a run. :)
aircon slides are a no no and i wont buy a Tig iod they remain,. I change my quite a bit on a run and they are dangerous when i test drove one. you have to take you eyes :roll: off the road
Yes agree the dynaudio is too bassy, i have had to tune it down. HK system ;) i am sure is much better my B&O one i had in the AUDI was better. I use apple car play too / utube music.
Navigation :oops: i dont use car ones, there poor. I use Google maps clearer and more Accurate as its not a post code search.
I have not suffered this wit MY ACC , although agree some people have. :| It will of course do this if a car suddenly looks as though its pulling out/in.
i found no difference unless it was progressive steering? in which case it is.
yes agree IQlights are really good, :D i thought the LED lights were great but IQ is again a step up.

very useful enjoy your car, i hope it gives you a lot of pleasure :D
===================================================================================
TIGUAN SEL 190PS TDI-4 MOTION, white metallic silver, DCC, Dynaudio, Voice,Leather/electric seats, Camera, Headlight wsh, sidescan, swivel towbar, added immobiliser,others