Decisions, Decisions....

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
niggly58

Decisions, Decisions....

Post by niggly58 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:20 am

I'm sure many have faced this conundrum before.
My Tiggy is 5 years old this September.
My normal retirement date is three years from then.
The dilemma is this- do I hang on to Tiggy past possible retirement? Do I look for a new car now while I can still afford it and keep it as long as possible?
My sensible head says replace Tiggy now with something sensible.
My heart says Tiguan 'R'.
What does the panel think?
2016 VW Tiguan Mk2 2.0L SEL 150 4Motion Manual Diesel. Indium Grey.
Vienna Black leather, electrically adjustable. 4 heated seats. Stainless exhaust trims, K&N 33-3005 air filter. RLine pedal covers. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

xtrailman

Re: Decisions, Decisions....

Post by xtrailman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:44 am

Treat yourself to a new car an Elegance
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

Hartside

Post by Hartside » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:04 am

This last year has taught me that life is very fragile. Go for it and enjoy whatever takes your fancy, you’re only here once!
2.0 TSI SEL 4motion DSG, Indium Grey, reverse camera and park assist
Ordered 13th March, picked on Thursday 8 th June :D

carib230sel

Post by carib230sel » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 am

I'll take the other corner...

If it's in good nick and you still like it and it still suits your needs then I would keep the current Tiguan, maybe remap it for a bit more oomph, treat yourself to some new speakers. Tiguan R is a novelty, a bit of fun. Too heavy and too tall to be really satisfying to chuck around, but you're stuck with the poor fuel economy, higher NVH and THOSE SEATS all the time !

No point trying to anticipate what might suit you in another 3 years' time. Who knows what EVs might be available by then. All I know is that ICE car 2nd hand values are going to be volatile, and I'm not sure I would want to splurge £40k+ on the thirstiest ever Tiguan at this point.
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

Statto1927

Post by Statto1927 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:50 am

Ooh, tricky indeed.
Can't make your decision for you, but having just moved from a 4 year old 2.0 TDI 4motion SEL to an Elegance, there's nothing I regret about the decision in the (less than) a week I've had it ;-)
2021 - Elegance 1.5TSi 150 DSG Nightshade Blue (stock apart from spare wheel)
2017-2021 -SEL 2.0 150 TDI DSG Caribbean Blue 4Motion

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:15 pm

My predicament is similar, albeit having taken early retirement some 9 years ago. MY 2.0l SEL will also be 5 in September but has been so reliable I’m not sure that I will be ready to change, it also has a VERY low mileage. I’m at the age where I daren’t let my heart rule my head. Electric is not for me, circumstances dictate that’s a no-no at the moment. I’m the sort of person that loves my gadgets, however it’s important that the gadgets don’t take away the fun of actually driving, or indeed making the driver complacent. I’m afraid this is a very real possibility. The electronics should assist the driver, and not make things more difficult (by removal of proper switches etc).

I may price up a 1.5 Elegance (or equivalent) nearer the time, or it may be time to ditch VW altogether depending on what’s on the market at the time, or do I just keep it going until I cant drive it any more? At retirement I really thought that I’d have to trade down to save money, but since I found myself doing far fewer miles which saved a lot of cash, the fuel economy didn’t make much difference.

Niggly, only you can decide in the end, taking into account such things as initial cost, future running costs, depreciation etc., but in the end it’s sometimes better the devil you know!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.