Dashcam fitment on windscreen

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Ned

Dashcam fitment on windscreen

Post by Ned » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi all,
Anyone know how to remove the cover behind the rear view mirror.
I’m fitting a Nextbase 3000w dashcam but unable to show both
sides of the bonnet so may have to put it below this cover.
Regards
John
Ps unless someone’s got a better idea
Tiguan has landed in the UK and pick-up 1/3/2018... ;)
150hp TSI, ACT Manual, SE Nav in Urano Grey with Panoramic Roof, Leather,
heated seats, tyre pressure monitor, Park Assist & Rear Camera.

mrew42

Re: Dashcam fitment on windscreen

Post by mrew42 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi John
Not too sure what the issue is but here's a pic of where my nextbase 312 is attached (if you can see it)
No problems from there IMO

IMG_20200410_131917~3.jpg

2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

hantshog

Post by hantshog » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm

Yes same as mrew42, is where I've put mine, no issues with view.
Indium Grey, 190 R line

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:52 pm

Got my 522GW in the same place albeit higher up and on a permanent mount. Sees whole of the front of the car.

DA8790FA-FEBB-4169-8E0C-3ADDC5749D04.jpeg

2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

Ned

Post by Ned » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi, ......thanks for that,
It seems that nextbase 300w has no Horizontal adjustment so putting it just under
the rear view mirror may be a way around the problem.

IMG_20210406_172514471.jpg

IMG_20210406_172458481.jpg

Tiguan has landed in the UK and pick-up 1/3/2018... ;)
150hp TSI, ACT Manual, SE Nav in Urano Grey with Panoramic Roof, Leather,
heated seats, tyre pressure monitor, Park Assist & Rear Camera.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 am

Tubemonster wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:52 pm
Got my 522GW in the same place albeit higher up and on a permanent mount. Sees whole of the front of the car.
That's the same model as I have. I also got a £20 voucher from Confused.com to spend in Halfords so I put it towards one of these:-

https://www.halfords.com/technology/das ... 59078.html

Simply Plug & Play, couldn't have been easier. Although I did fit a larger capacity memory card. The image below is a still from a video taken on my way home from Halfords, so you can see, straight out the box the image quality is really really good for such a small add on.

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 09.41.23.png

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am

You say “small add on” but combined with the camera makes the whole unit very large which is why I opted for the separate rear cam that they do but horses for courses and at least you haven’t had to wire it in.
Just a word of caution. When you mentioned that Confused.com gave you a voucher towards it, I wonder if you declared the dashcam and possibly received a discounted quote/price because of it? If so, be sure to format the card regularly as full cards often cause the cameras to fail in recording.They are supposed to overwrite older files which they do successfully most of the time but Sod’s law dictates that when you need it, it hasn’t. Should you have an accident and not be able to supply the footage, you could find yourself in all sorts of bother.
Better to not declare, forgo any discount and just provide footage if you can.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:55 am

Tubemonster wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am
You say “small add on” but combined with the camera makes the whole unit very large which is why I opted for the separate rear cam that they do but horses for courses and at least you haven’t had to wire it in.
Just a word of caution. When you mentioned that Confused.com gave you a voucher towards it, I wonder if you declared the dashcam and possibly received a discounted quote/price because of it? If so, be sure to format the card regularly as full cards often cause the cameras to fail in recording.They are supposed to overwrite older files which they do successfully most of the time but Sod’s law dictates that when you need it, it hasn’t. Should you have an accident and not be able to supply the footage, you could find yourself in all sorts of bother.
I think your Confused ;0) The voucher was issued not to purchase the dashcam, but purely for taking out insurance through Confused.com . I chose to use it as part payment for the Rear View add on. They have 4 options of a "Gift" if you take out insurance through their website, one of which is a £20 Halfords voucher.

Appreciate the tip on regularly formatting the card though, I shall bear that in mind.

As the pic below shows, in my most humble opinion, it doesn't make the whole unit too big and sits nicely next to the overhead binacle (?).

DB45D9C2-24D3-45C1-9683-5DC2FFC67FA8_1_105_c.jpeg

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:19 am

Blakey wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:55 am
Tubemonster wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am
I think your Confused ;0) The voucher was issued not to purchase the dashcam, but purely for taking out insurance through Confused.com . I chose to use it as part payment for the Rear View add on. They have 4 options of a "Gift" if you take out insurance through their website, one of which is a £20 Halfords voucher.

Appreciate the tip on regularly formatting the card though, I shall bear that in mind.

As the pic below shows, in my most humble opinion, it doesn't make the whole unit too big and sits nicely next to the overhead binacle (?).

DB45D9C2-24D3-45C1-9683-5DC2FFC67FA8_1_105_c.jpeg
No I knew that. Obviously didn’t read as I intended though. Just putting that warning out there. The size? Well like beauty, in the eye of the beholder :)