Order Delay

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
CL1983

Order Delay

Post by CL1983 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:40 am

I placed a factory order at the end of Jan for a facelift R-line with two optional extras, originally being quoted a 12-14 week lead time by the dealer.

The order was confirmed and viewable using the VW online tracker but has remained at stage 2. Following discussions with the dealer a few weeks ago they stated the order was a little delayed but nothing to significant.

However further contact with them yesterday has confirmed the order does not have a confirmed build week and the earliest I could be looking at delivery will be mid July.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Sootchucker

Re: Order Delay

Post by Sootchucker » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 am

Yep. I ordered towards the end of Feb, and after nearly 7 weeks my order is also stuck at stage 2 "The factory has your order". I was also quoted approx 12-14 weeks at order time, but my "unconfirmed" build date according to my dealer is week 25 (w/c 21st June), which would most likely mean a delivery to me of end of July / early August. Certainly not what I was promised. And that's not even confirmed - it could move back still !

I've spoken to VW customers services over what the delay is and they were about as useful as a chocolate fire guard and just asked me to speak to my local dealer. I can only think it's one or more of the options I've spec'd (as I had quite a few) that's delaying the car. I'm seriously considering cancelling the car and ending my 22 year relationship with VW and moving brands. I've checked with 2 friends who recently ordered a factory spec'd BMW's (3 series) and a Merc GLC (again both heavily spec'd). One ordered 2nd week Jan and picked his Merc up 2 weeks ago, my other friend ordered the BMW 2 weeks before mine (at the beginning of Feb), and is picking his car up next Wednesday. So it seems other German manufacturers can do it, just the usual VW ineptitude prevails.

I have a decision to make.
Ordered then cancelled - 2021 Tiguan R-Line 1.5 TSI DSG - Nightshade Blue Metallic, Panoramic Sunroof, IQ Lights, Harmon Kardon, Discover Pro, electric tailgate, DCC, heated windscreen and lots of other options

CL1983

Post by CL1983 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 am

It is rather frustrating when no one can provide a reason for this, looking at other VW forums it appears it’s across the VW range and not just the Tiguan.
I have considered cancelling but in the long term would probably regret it, there seems to be a shortage of alternative R-Lines available with a similar spec.

Sambo123

Post by Sambo123 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:55 am

Sounds like you've been had off, I ordered middle of February and managed to get build week 12 (March 22nd build date) must be becuase of the additions you've added to the car.

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:59 am

There is a car computer chip shortage so this could well be having an impact on orders.
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

CL1983

Post by CL1983 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:23 am

Having spoken with my dealer again this morning they have confirmed there is a shortage of certain component parts on all R-Line models throughout the VW range.

I have an unconfirmed build week of 19 (10th May) with the dealer quoting 10 weeks from this date for delivery at the earliest.

Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:39 am

thing that really pisses me off is no one from VW (either VW UK customer services or the dealer) are willing to tell the truth. When I ordered the car, I had it in writing at 12-14 weeks delivery to the UK. Now they have simply reneiged on that and are not willing to tell me what is going on.

If they said, look, there is a global chip shortage and one of your options needs this part and that is what's delaying the build then fine - I have the choice to either wait or change the spec, but no total silence and they just think it's perfectly normal and acceptable to delay delivering an order without out any reason or accountability. I also work in the supply industry and if I treated my customer that way and totally ignored any previously agreed delivery dates without a good and explained reason, I'd go out of business as all my customers would go elsewhere. VW UK really are a sorry shamble of idiots.

I have a call this afternoon with the dealer principle of my local VW dealership and the outcome of that call will decide if I cancel the order and move away from the brand permanently.
Ordered then cancelled - 2021 Tiguan R-Line 1.5 TSI DSG - Nightshade Blue Metallic, Panoramic Sunroof, IQ Lights, Harmon Kardon, Discover Pro, electric tailgate, DCC, heated windscreen and lots of other options

Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 am

CL1983 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:23 am
Having spoken with my dealer again this morning they have confirmed there is a shortage of certain component parts on all R-Line models throughout the VW range.

I have an unconfirmed build week of 19 (10th May) with the dealer quoting 10 weeks from this date for delivery at the earliest.
Not doubting what they have told you of course, but the models affected worse are R-Line models ? Really when the Elegance is the one with the most tech as standard (IQ Lights, Panoramic Sunroof, Keyless entry, electric boot etc.) So if it is computer chips that's the delay you would think it would affect that model more than the R-Line, (which is basically a Tiguan Life with a beefed up bodykit and wheels) ?

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 am

Sootchucker wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 am
CL1983 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:23 am

Not doubting what they have told you of course, but the models affected worse are R-Line models ? Really when the Elegance is the one with the most tech as standard (IQ Lights, Panoramic Sunroof, Keyless entry, electric boot etc.) So if it is computer chips that's the delay you would think it would affect that model more than the R-Line, (which is basically a Tiguan Life with a beefed up bodykit and wheels) ?
Sports suspension?
Alloys?
Seats?
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Well just had my call - not sure I believe everything I was told but anyway, according to the dealer principle, UK allocations of Tiguan R-Lines and Elegance models have run out and no more new orders will be processed until Week 25/26 at the earliest (no mention of a lack of parts or semiconductors, just allocation). He went onto say, that if someone cancelled their existing order, then that allocation would be taken by someone on the "waiting list" on a first ordered basis, although he did admit that VW UK had over 160 Tiguan's on this list already.

He then said the 10 weeks delivery as quoted above was a separate issue and not related to allocation but due to both Covid-19 social distancing (and the continued outbreak on the continent) as well as delays due to UK customs. He said that the Emden port currently had a backlog of nearly 200,000 cars to move. Whilst he didn't think the 10 weeks would last forever and would revert back to the more standard 3-4 weeks, he couldn't guarantee it. Long and short of it, he could give me any assurances that I would see the car in the UK before September (so over 6 months delivery). I've therefore taken the very personal decision to cancel the order. It's a real shame as I was looking forwards to driving my 1st SUV, and it being a VW, but such is life. Over my last 10 VW orders, the average delivery time has been 19 weeks with a best of 13 weeks and a worst of 43 weeks. That is just not acceptable to me (maybe it is to others).

So thanks for the last few months all of those that helped me with questions etc. and I hope you all have trouble free motoring and all get your new cars sooner rather than later.