Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Sat Nav SD Card

35K views 62 replies 16 participants last post by  Axel 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get the latest Sat Nav SD card for my 2018 VW Tiguan and VW have said that V11 is the most up to date version, but cannot say if the V12 is due out soon as it depends on how many V11 are left in VW's stocks!. Just wondering if anyone has any idea as I don't want to pay out for V11 and V12 get released soon after? The code for the V11 SD card is 5NA919866-AR. Thanks

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
#5 ·
Martin70 said:
Thanks - I'm in the process of trying the download option.
Don't forget to back up the file that's already on your SD card onto your desktop or flash drive or somewhere so that if the update fails (shouldn't do) you've still got your original file to put back on the card.

#6 ·
Thanks - I backed the original maps up and then downloaded the new maps from Grahams link but when I put the SD card back into the car, the display read 'Nav Display Not Available' so something went wrong. I then put the old maps back onto the card and into the car and got the same message, so I've done something wrong, but no idea what. I'll keep trying!

#7 ·
Do you have to have a VW SD card? Just bought a 2017 model with Discovery Pro (Gen 2) and whilst it has maps present, there is no SD card. In my Golf R I had a VW SD card and updated online, but can't with this. I can see I can connect via wifi in the car but then it throws an error and research shows me it takes hours and cannot sit in car for this long!

#9 ·
Martin70 said:
Thanks - I backed the original maps up and then downloaded the new maps from Grahams link but when I put the SD card back into the car, the display read 'Nav Display Not Available' so something went wrong. I then put the old maps back onto the card and into the car and got the same message, so I've done something wrong, but no idea what. I'll keep trying!
You can't 'break' the card, what you may not have done is put the new structure back in the right layout.

The root of the SD card will have the folder maps. Nothing else.
Below this are 2 folders 00 and EEC

All the content are within these folders. Check this first.

Oh, and did you put the SD back in the same slot, and did you set the write protect tab ?

#12 ·
Brilliant, thanks Tricky, It now works. The 2 folders 00 and EEC were fine but the maps folder was missing so having created one and dropped 00 and EEC folders into there it now works fine.

This was my first post, having only joined yesterday, and the help and advice has been excellent. Really chuffed.

#14 ·
Micalee said:
3 times I've downloaded and 3 times I've had a "Checksum Error"?

I have a 32GB card formatted FAT32
As you explain in your other post on the same subject. This topic is regards to the Discover Media unit which runs the navigation maps from the VW SD card. You have the Discover Pro which I believe you can use a flash drive to update with. No doubt someone with that same unit will be able to confirm or deny that.

#16 ·
The update process is tedious and unreliable, and you can't work around or 'restart' .

I have a Discover Pro, and the SD card is 16GB with total space used 6.3GB. Everything is file structured under 'maps' directory. I updated this once back in 2019, but this was after a few tries.

The file download is done in chunks, then stitched together into one big .7z file, this is unzipped and copied to the card.

For this year's June update, DiscoverCare Win allows you to use a new device.

I downloaded the whole 26GB, then got a micro SD card with adapter, and extracted the zip file to it.

File structure was Mib1 and Mib2 as top level directories.

Putting that in the car, it didn't want to use it, but if I put it in the car and had the old SD card, it said 'software update is available' but did nothing.

So I thought maybe I'd done something wrong by unzipping myself, and went through the whole download and copy once more to a clean SD card.

That didn't work.

I went through the whole process once more using the original SD card and it updated and worked, though this, according to DiscoverCare Win is 'Discover Media Gen 2' , despite the fact I have a Discover Pro !

I did a block by block (Unix clone) copy of my updated 16GB card to my 32GB card. This didn't work in the car, despite the fact that this is how you can clone ANY disk to another using a Unix system.

So I have a Discover Pro unit, it's using Discover media , go figure ...

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the difference between the Discover Media that I have and that uses a VW SD card for navigation and the Discover Pro is the Discover Pro has a built in hard drive on which the maps are stored and no SD card?

I think guys who have it have updated maps using flash drives too. I'm probably just confused after self isolating for a week ;) but the way your post reads makes me think you actually have the Discover Media unit?

Everybody that's updated have also slated Discovercare as an update process and have just backed up the card onto their desktop, deleted and just copied new maps onto the card. That way certainly worked for me but admittedly I haven't tried it with the latest updates as 3rd party nav is my go to.

#19 ·
Right so a little less confused after thejanners post. So you can update a Discover Pro with a SD card. It just doesn't need the VW card with the maps on as they are held on its own HD. That right?

#22 ·
Despite many efforts I try to download using the Volkswagen DiscoverCare programme,

It takes my 64Gig SD card and gives three green ticks and will download the maps but then I get a checksum error.

Has anyone sorted out how to resolve this, I have the discover pro.

4 hours at a time for it to crash driving me nuts.

#23 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Despite many efforts I try to download using the Volkswagen DiscoverCare programme,

It takes my 64Gig SD card and gives three green ticks and will download the maps but then I get a checksum error.

JK-&VWTiguanR
Follow my previous link

It should work - you only need a SD card, not discovery care program

#24 ·
thejanners said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:

JK-&VWTiguanR
Follow my previous link

Hi Mate,

Followed your link, have the two Mib1 folder and the Mib2 folder and a metainfo2.txt files.

Insert the card into my SD slot.

Got to maps, maps info, click search for update SD/USB, says searching and then says no update found.

Why do VW make it so difficult.

Any advise as to where I am going wrong would be appreciated.

#25 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
thejanners said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:

JK-&VWTiguanR
Follow my previous link

Hi Mate,

Followed your link, have the two Mib1 folder and the Mib2 folder and a metainfo2.txt files.

Got to maps, maps info, click search for update SD/USB, says searching and then says no update found.

JK out of interest, what format is your SD card in?

Is it in fat32 windows format? Or is it in NTFS or something else?

Also I hear you need to stay away from using a Mac to copy the files across to the card...

T

#26 ·
Tammma said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:
thejanners said:
JK-&VWTiguanR
Follow my previous link

Hi Mate,

JK out of interest, what format is your SD card in?

Is it in fat32 windows format? Or is it in NTFS or something else?

Also I hear you need to stay away from using a Mac to copy the files across to the card...

T
Fat32 and done on a PC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.