Electronic Instrument display and Apple Car Play

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
springbok

Electronic Instrument display and Apple Car Play

Post by springbok » Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 am

Hi all,

Quick question. I have a 2018 R Line model with the Electronic instrument cluster. The car isn't fitted with Factory Sat Nav!
When using Apple car play it just shows (on the cluster) what looks like a blank album cover saying Apple CarPlay. I read on another forum that you can get Google Maps / Apple Map turn by turn instructions displayed on the instrument cluster like factory Navigation as well as music album covers. Is this true or maybe it only applies to android phones?
Any help advice appreciated.
Software number MST2_EU-VW-P0867D
Installed SW MU version 0867

IMG_8584.jpg

thejanners

Re: Electronic Instrument display and Apple Car Play

Post by thejanners » Sat May 01, 2021 9:56 am

Hi and welcome

If you have Apple car play and connected by the iPhone cable, it should come up on the main display with messages weather, maps etc

Have you Siri enabled as this is a requirement
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sat May 01, 2021 11:10 am

Hi springbok and welcome.
If you don’t have the factory navigation option on your infotainment system, then you will only be able to use Apple Carplay or Android Auto with the map displayed on the main unit. The map is only available to be displayed on the dash display if the car has the factory fitted navigation, and then only the map provided by VW and not Apple or Android.
So, no, unfortunately you won’t be able to see the map in the instrument display, nor indeed any navigation direction information.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Sat May 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Does your car have the two slots in the glove box, the vw nav card goes in there.

Cards can be bought on eBay with latest maps.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

springbok

Post by springbok » Mon May 03, 2021 5:51 am

Hi all,
Thanks for the responses. Looks like it a no go, but hay ho at least I have it on the main unit.

Maverick34

Post by Maverick34 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:04 am

I have just picked up a 2018 VW and faced the same situation. I decided to get an SD card from eBay as it didn't cost too much and wanted the option to show the map on the dash. Personally, I'll stick with ApplePlay and use Waze to navigate.