Removing side steps

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Zobware

Removing side steps

Post by Zobware » Sun May 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi all

So I have sold the Tiguan, dealership are happy if I want to remove side steps and sell separately as these are a dealer fit option. Question, how do I get the square nuts out of the holes where they were put in when fitting?

I've undone them but can't find a way of getting the nuts out so I've ended up putting the steps back on as didn't want to lose the nuts! Starting to think it's not worth the hassle.

Got a fairly strong price in the end from VW dealer, £2k more than WBAC

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks Zob

Russboy

Re: Removing side steps

Post by Russboy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:30 pm

If I remember correctly from when I fitted mine they are slightly smaller than the hole and I had to slide them in, so I guess it's the reverse of that.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display, Swivelling Tow Bar, fully lined boot for protection from the hounds!

joolstdi

Post by joolstdi » Mon May 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi are they capsten nuts?
when you tighten the bolt it squashes the nut.
If you have these will have to stay with the car.

But if you ask your local VW or TPS parts department they should be able to order them in for you.
2017 Tiguan Atlantic Blue SEL 2.0 TDI 2WD 150ps Front and Rear Heated Seats, Winter Pack, Front and Rear Nextbase Cameras, Skoda Yeti twin Exhaust tips.

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Mon May 10, 2021 6:53 pm

joolstdi wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:48 pm
Hi are they capsten nuts?
when you tighten the bolt it squashes the nut.
If you have these will have to stay with the car.

But if you ask your local VW or TPS parts department they should be able to order them in for you.
No, they're big rectangular blocks, couldn't squash these.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display, Swivelling Tow Bar, fully lined boot for protection from the hounds!

joolstdi

Post by joolstdi » Mon May 10, 2021 9:47 pm

I have see a video on YouTube of chap fitting these . Have a look on there for some guidance.
2017 Tiguan Atlantic Blue SEL 2.0 TDI 2WD 150ps Front and Rear Heated Seats, Winter Pack, Front and Rear Nextbase Cameras, Skoda Yeti twin Exhaust tips.