Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

New Tiguan R line Logo/puddle lights

16K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  945topcat 
#1 ·
Hi.

New to the forum as just picked up my 21 R-line yesterday. Very pleased with it although there is a bit of confusion about whether it can have the logo/plug in lights? I asked for them to be fitted but the dealer forgot. When I picked it up they had a set in stock which the salesman tried to fit, but as the existing lights in the doors just seem to be reflectors there is no wiring for the logo light! My question is can these be fitted? It states on the VW Tiguan accessories guide "only for cars with door lights already in place" however door lights doesn't seem to be an option that you can add when configuring the car. Therefore when would these lights ever be able to work? Unless either VW techs run the wiring as part of fitting them or you need to have the Elegance or R for proper door lights not just reflectors?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

#2 ·
I may be wrong- but I don't know of any Tiguan variant that has actual lights fitted on the inside of the doors- only reflectors.
The 'puddle lights' you mention in your topic heading are, I believe, fitted into the bottom of the door mirrors.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I think you'll find that those that have installed them previously have hacked/spliced onto an existing live wire to power these.

Can it be done? Yes. But it's not a straight swap/plug and play.

Do I want to go pulling door trims apart and risking something else going wrong? No thanks.

But others may feel differently about this. I've done the dynamic indicators on the wing mirrors but that's about as fancy as I get.

#6 ·
It can be done, it it does require a lot of work if the door card only has reflectors at the moment.

Here is a link to the golf mk7 that is virtually identical to the Tiguan in terms of what needs to be done:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/door-warning-lights-and-power-folding-mirror-install.327619/#post-6781116

Scan down that thread and you'll see the picture guide.
VW will say that it can't be done if the door doesn't have lights already, which no uk Tiguan actually has. So your choice is to get a refund or be brave and go for it if you really want them, which if I'm honest I wouldn't given that you have the mirror puddle lights.

Cheers
Axel

#21 ·
It can be done, it it does require a lot of work if the door card only has reflectors at the moment.

Here is a link to the golf mk7 that is virtually identical to the Tiguan in terms of what needs to be done:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...r-folding-mirror-install.327619/#post-6781116

Scan down that thread and you'll see the picture guide.
VW will say that it can't be done if the door doesn't have lights already, which no uk Tiguan actually has. So your choice is to get a refund or be brave and go for it if you really want them, which if I'm honest I wouldn't given that you have the mirror puddle lights.

Cheers
Axel
Hi Axel, can you tell me if doing your method throws up any fault codes ? TIA.

#7 ·
Thankyou. It's a weird one though isn't? Why put something in the Tiguan brochure as fully fitted that they effectively won't fit? Very strange... Should my car have puddle lights in the mirrors then? I must admit I've not noticed but will have another look tonight. I've got the 360 camera so would they go in the space where the mirror puddle light be? You are right though if the mirrors do have them then I won't bother with the logo lights!

#16 ·
Rrh888 said:
I'm fairly sure (without checking) that my 2021 R line only projects a light. No R Line, no VW emblem.
So your R-Line does have lights fitted in the bottom of the doors? But the OP, with the same model has lenses only:

Jawsiunkie said:
but as the existing lights in the doors just seem to be reflectors there is no wiring for the logo light!

#18 ·
Exactly what mrew42 says, also the R Line is not capable of having the logo lights fitted as an oem option (the brochure says different but it is incorrect) I know this as fact as I ordered mine with them fitted as an option but when the car was delivered the dealership confirmed the brochure was incorrect and they could not be fitted as there was no wiring loom in the door to support them.

#19 ·
The door control modules on the R-Line, Elegance etc. are the same as the ones fitted to the R, the means the modules fully support the addition of the door warning lights it's just that as said, the harness isn't there. There are plenty of kits available on the internet that include both the light and the harness (although some are quite short), but it does mean a door card off to attach the wires to the door control modules.

I did this to my current MK7.5 GTI (and the 2 previous MK7's), as below:

#28 ·
The door control modules on the R-Line, Elegance etc. are the same as the ones fitted to the R, the means the modules fully support the addition of the door warning lights it's just that as said, the harness isn't there. There are plenty of kits available on the internet that include both the light and the harness (although some are quite short), but it does mean a door card off to attach the wires to the door control modules.

I did this to my current MK7.5 GTI (and the 2 previous MK7's), as below:

Ahh...this would be much easier and neater with a harness...presume that makes it just a matter of plugging in and no wire splicing?

I bet you those same kits for the golf will work on the tig too.

#20 ·
So poster Rrh888 that I quoted above was referring to the mirror mounted lights and not the lower door reflectors?

#22 ·
Can’t see how you can have puddle lights in the doors, surely they must go in the mirrors.

The purpose of the puddle lights is to illuminate the ground as you approach the car to stop you standing in puddles. If the puddle light were in the door you would already have wet feet by the time the puddle was illuminated.

Not saying you can’t have lights in the doors but in my opinion they would not be puddles lights.

Cheers,

Nigel

#23 ·
The ones in the bottom of the doors (which are just reflectors on anything but an R), aren't the same as the puddle lights in the mirrors. As nheather said above, the purpose of the puddle light in the mirrors is to illuminate the area round the car to avoid stepping in puddles etc. The door warning lights are just that - warning lights (well they actually serve two purposes). Firstly the upper surface is red so it acts as a warning light to other road users and pedestrians when the door is opened at night, and secondly the lower white part illuminates the area right under to door (in addition to the puddle lights), plus they look really cool.

Here's a better pic of one that i did to my first MK7 Golf, (and I've now done it to all 3 MK7's I've owned). It's also one of the first mods I'll be doing to the Tiguan if it ever arrives, as I'll be removing them from the GTI and putting it's reflectors back in. I'll also be attempting the rear seat area footwell lights too.

Reactions: A1VWD
#24 ·
The ones in the bottom of the doors (which are just reflectors on anything but an R), aren't the same as the puddle lights in the mirrors. As nheather said above, the purpose of the puddle light in the mirrors is to illuminate the area round the car to avoid stepping in puddles etc. The door warning lights are just that - warning lights (well they actually serve two purposes). Firstly the upper surface is red so it acts as a warning light to other road users and pedestrians when the door is opened at night, and secondly the lower white part illuminates the area right under to door (in addition to the puddle lights), plus they look really cool.

Here's a better pic of one that i did to my first MK7 Golf, (and I've now done it to all 3 MK7's I've owned). It's also one of the first mods I'll be doing to the Tiguan if it ever arrives, as I'll be removing them from the GTI and putting it's reflectors back in. I'll also be attempting the rear seat area footwell lights too.

If you do it'll be good to have a write-up with pictures.

#25 ·
Course I will

#26 ·
They do look good - especially if you have come from a car that has the reflectors to one with the proper lights fitted (I have an Arteon SE at the moment which has them and they do look a lot better lit up).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.