The place to discuss everything else..
Tcq

Re: Dealer using car while in for service

Post by Tcq » Tue May 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Wildcat wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:15 pm
deadrich wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:37 am
Before I went to bed I setup some speed alerts on Car Net app for 80 and 85 mph (should have gone higher with hindsight). Woke up feeling calmer thinking I would ring to find out what was going on until I spotted the 7 speed alerts on my phone! Decided I would go straight in to dealership. Mid-journey Service Adviser rang as he had received web chat from last night and tried to re-assure me the vehicle hadn't been stolen. I went full Vesuvius! Don't think I have been that angry before. I said they didn't have my consent to drive it, nor take it at speeds above 85 mph.He said technician had taken it to try and get emergency call error to trigger. The fault triggers when the car is stationary so was no need. I don't think he'll forget that call.

Service Manager met me on arrival. I could barely speak, he was very apologetic. They have excellent rep for service (this was the reason I had used them) and this wasn't normal - I suggested this is probably more normal than they would admit but most cars don't have tracking. He wasn't aware they had done 60 miles in it, thought it had been 15, and I should have been told they were taking it for testing which I wasn't. Process broke and technician will face disciplinary for breaking speed limits. There wasn't much more he could have said as they were completely in the wrong. They filled the tank and asked to think if there was anything that could be done to help compensate/rebuild confidence. Still thinking about it - not going to name them for now in case they actually make a real gesture.

Took the car but I'm still waiting for some warranty bits to be finished and haven't decided if i'll go back yet. CBA going to another dealer though as I'm beginning to realise they are all much the same. Technician working on my car wasn't the one who took it for joyride.

Any suggestions for appropriate compensation?
I cannot believe what I've just read! That’s horrendous!
Re compensation - let the head manager or director (if group franchise) make the first offer of compensation, but have some idea of what you believe is acceptable and be prepared to say no, that is not enough.
Defo report this to VW UK as they may also offer you something or put pressure on the dealership to up their offer.
You also want a signed statement that absolves you of any blame and makes them accept liability for anything such as speeding tickets, parking fines etc, whilst they used your vehicle as it may take 2-6 weeks for these to land on your doorstep. These will be sent to the registered keeper.
You want a full written explanation and apology and any offers of compensation in writing.
Threaten to go to the press if needs be.
If they won't provide you with a written statement (as above), report the matter to the police. You may need a crime reference number in order to provide proof you weren't responsible for any speeding/parking tickets etc. Not sure if this needs to be reported to your insurers as well, perhaps someone else on the forum can assist/advise.
Also, press the SOS button and ask the contact centre agent if the SOS button has been pressed before, I'm sure they should be able to give you a log of any calls made and when.
Finally, let us all know how you get on and for the benefit of others on here, name and shame the dealer so others aren’t treated in the same manner or avoid.
I can’t imagine what you must have been feeling, I found it hard to read, so goodness knows how you must have felt and still feel. We’re here for you!
R-Line Tech

Rory

Post by Rory » Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 pm

JK-VWTiguanR wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 pm
Offering compensation is always BS in my eyes, there is such a limited amount of items you can ask for and they know this, not like they are going to give you a free weekend away ....
There was a case a few years ago that made the national press where an Audi dealer offered someone dinner as compensation (can't remember the issue but it was minor). The woman sent then a bill for ~£750 and insisted that was the normal amount she spent on dinner!

As for calling the police etc, they won't be in the slightest interested, and VW CS will string you along for a month and then say it's a matter for the dealer. A Mercedes customer in Bristol went to the press over a similar issue - the dealership banned him from their premises! If you formalise it, you're likely to get compensation related to your actual loss - which in reality is a bit of fuel, and they've replaced that already.
near Chester, UK
Sept 2015 Match 150PS TDI 4Motion DSG (hers) - thinking of a mk2, maybe an Allspace, for him. :)
Added Sept 2018 SEAT Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi 2WD manual to the family 'fleet'.

Wolfsburger

Post by Wolfsburger » Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am

chrisb wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm
deadrich wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Use your spare key, go get the car and drive it home!! Let them explain that in the morning !! :lol: :lol:
Love it!
Do it!
SE Nav, DSG, 4 Motion, Diesel 150, keyless with electric tailgate, after market towbar (Whitter)

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am

Wolfsburger wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am
chrisb wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm
deadrich wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Use your spare key, go get the car and drive it home!! Let them explain that in the morning !! :lol: :lol:
Love it!
Do it!
Cars now back so can't do this now.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

MM5

Post by MM5 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 am

Any update on what you chose to do?
2019 Tiguan SEL 190 TDi in Black

Kyle009

Post by Kyle009 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah I am also intrigued about the outcome.
Atlantic Blue Tiguan SEL 1.5 150 TSI DSG

deadrich

Post by deadrich » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 am

Quick update for those still following this...

In addition to an apology and re-assurances that they have changed company process so it won't happen again, dealer have offered to supply/fit running boards plus front/rear OEM traffic cameras FOC as goodwill gesture. I haven't accepted yet (only just received it) but I feel less angry/annoyed about it all now I've had an offer though, which I guess means its reasonable :)
2019 Tiguan Allspace 2.0 150 TDI SEL 4Motion DSG
Platinum Grey Metallic, Tow Bar

chrisb

Post by chrisb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:35 pm

deadrich wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 am

In addition to an apology and re-assurances that they have changed company process so it won't happen again, dealer have offered to supply/fit running boards plus front/rear OEM traffic cameras FOC as goodwill gesture. I haven't accepted yet (only just received it) but I feel less angry/annoyed about it all now I've had an offer though, which I guess means its reasonable :)
If I wanted those things I think I would be pretty happy with that ! :) I hope they look after you from now on.
2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

deadrich

Post by deadrich » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:41 pm

chrisb wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:35 pm
deadrich wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 am

If I wanted those things I think I would be pretty happy with that ! :) I hope they look after you from now on.
I asked for running boards and rear parking camera, they countered with boards and dash cams. They are all things I have been looking at purchasing anyway so satisfied :)
2019 Tiguan Allspace 2.0 150 TDI SEL 4Motion DSG
Platinum Grey Metallic, Tow Bar

F2paul

Post by F2paul » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Glad to hear you got some compensation that was worthwhile to you. Given that the member of staff who took your car out probably wasn`t insured and had exceeded the speed limit and had taken the car from the dealership without consent then we are looking at three separate offences. Goes to show I`m not so paranoid that i photograph my milage reading before any car goes to a garage.
2.0.BTDi TDi tuning , DSG , SEL 4 motion Indium Grey. Collected 31.1.18

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.