Dilemma...To lease again, or buy this one?

The place to discuss everything else..
Malcm59

Dilemma...To lease again, or buy this one?

Post by Malcm59 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Opinion please... My lease is due up next March, so naturally I've been looking around at the possibilities. To be honest, I still very much like my SEL, which hasn't missed a beat, still low mileage and there's nothing out there that really truthfully floats my boat into wanting something different (within budget )
Could go for an an R line tech, but the limited colour range annoys me (Never again want white or black and the grey/silver options just don't excite me)
I'm more coming round to the idea of buying my current car at end of lease and run it for a year or two, until things either start to go wrong, or VW get their fingers out and bring out something properly new in the tiguan, like a Mk3, a proper R model or heaven forbid, a hybrid; in which case I’ll have this one as a trade in/ deposit.
What do you reckon?
SEL 150 4WD DSG Caribbean blue. Added keyless entry / auto tailgate, voice control, sports suspension, park assist / rear camera.

Tubemonster

Re: Dilemma...To lease again, or buy this one?

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Sounds like you should keep it. Better the devil you know and all that.
Tiguan SWB R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG - Tow bar
Ordered 11/08/18 ///Build date 21/01/19///In Transit 19/01/19 (early)///Arrived in UK 24/01/19
Collected 16/2/19 🎉

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:41 pm

That was the dilemma I had when my mk1 was coming to the end of the lease. If it's the car you want and you still like it, why change it? What more will you get, other than paying off another vehicle.I kept mine, still going strong and faultless at 4.5 years.

If this is what you decide there was a post the other day about bypassing VW finance and getting a better price from the auction company they pass it on to. I wish I'd known that when I paid mine off.

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:00 pm

You like it, you know it's history, you don't know what car you would change it for, which all points to keeping it for another year or two until you have decided what you would like, so buy it and keep enjoying it.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Malcm59

Post by Malcm59 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks guys... Common sense opinions that reinforce what I know is the best thing to do... It's just resisting the seductive atmosphere of the new car showroom whenever I go into one !
SEL 150 4WD DSG Caribbean blue. Added keyless entry / auto tailgate, voice control, sports suspension, park assist / rear camera.

davidfxs

Post by davidfxs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:45 pm

I would keep for a bit and take consideration of the ID4 that will come out if you would consider going full electric.
Tiguan R-Line 180 TSi DSG 4-Motion.
Dynaaudio / Electric Tailgate / Park Assist & Rear view Camera / Emergency Call & Car Net

TIGeRLine

Post by TIGeRLine » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:43 am

I'm in exactly the same position. Mine is due to go back in March after a 2 year lease.
My original plan was to get another identicle 240, but having seen the MY2020 updates (mainly the new dash) I've changed my mind.
I was thinking about buying mine, but I don't think it makes financial sense to own a depreciating asset.
Anyway, I had a lift in a new Toe-Rag R-Line when mine was in the dealers for the sunroof recall and I was really impressed, so I'm planning to go back and see what deal they can do on one of those.
2018 R-Line 240 Bi-TDI 4Motion.

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:54 am

I understand what you say about depreciation, but then you've already paid out a large sum on a depreciating asset you don't own. You've actually paid the majority of it already. I bought mine, paying the VW finance price for it (wish I'd known I could get it cheaper dealing with the auction house direct viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5964&sid=d3c0476ef9 ... 2c37218651 ), but I've been keeping a track on its value based on the various what's mine worth' from different Web sites, and comparing against the outstanding finance I have on it, and it's now nominally worth more than I owe.

I still also have that residual value as deposit should I wish in future to replace it.

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am

TIGeRLine wrote:I'm in exactly the same position. Mine is due to go back in March after a 2 year lease.
My original plan was to get another identicle 240, but having seen the MY2020 updates (mainly the new dash) I've changed my mind.
I was thinking about buying mine, but I don't think it makes financial sense to own a depreciating asset.
Anyway, I had a lift in a new Toe-Rag R-Line when mine was in the dealers for the sunroof recall and I was really impressed, so I'm planning to go back and see what deal they can do on one of those.
I'm in a very similar position, though just a lowly 1.4 SE Nav, I was looking at an R line Tig but I've seen some some amazing deals on the SEL 3.0 TSi toerag for not a lot more that a 1.5 Rline tech.
Does look nice.....

Sent from my Mate 20 X using Tapatalk

1.4TSI BMT 150 4Motion SE NAV DSG - Indium Grey
2 Year lease through Hub Leasing - Ordered 13/02/18 - Delivered 09/03/18

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.