Golf Mk8 aka things to come In future Tiguans

The place to discuss everything else..
Chris

Re: Golf Mk8 aka things to come In future Tiguans

Post by Chris » Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 am

It is fairly predictable what the interior is going to be. VW are using standard designs and components across all vehicles including sub brands where they can. They have been doing it for quite a while but using the AID makes the idea far easier and software changes are cheap. I think they may have reduced the size of the AID to get it into the smaller cars but that is only a guess on my part.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Thu May 21, 2020 8:22 am

Chris wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:55 am
CNC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:06 am
It's not just Honda going away from touchscreens https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... n-controls

Mazda as well https://www.fleeteurope.com/en/safety/e ... zda&curl=1
My son works for a Mazda dealer and does all the dealer's electronic trouble shooting and no the dealers don't diagnose everything with a computer! Anyway I asked him about the move away from touch screens and he confirmed it was being done away with as new models were being released. What they now do is to use a rotary controller to select what is needed on the screen which to me does not sound like a move that can be done without looking at the damned screen and is just as distracting as touch screens. What it does do is allow the passenger to operate the screen while not having to reach and touch the screen which might be less distracting to the driver because the controller is between the seats.
BMW have had the rotary controller in the middle for iDrive for absolutely years, it works just fine, and is widely regarded as one of the best car infotainment systems in the business. It’s not distracting at all as you aren’t trying to concentrate on hitting a little icon on a screen far in front of you while the cars motion is bouncing your finger tip around. All done via controller and just the occasional glance at the screen needed. They too have gone touch and gesture too, but the controller remains.

But it would be weird if there is no screen....
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu May 21, 2020 8:35 am

Yes, I think one way or another we are stuck with a management screen of some description on most cars.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG