How do you emotionally cope with wheel misalignment

The place to discuss everything else..
Ekhangel

Re: How do you emotionally cope with wheel misalignment

Post by Ekhangel » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Yeah, maintenance is the word. The new roads are probably spot on, though I have not had the pleasure to drive on them recently.
'19 Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI; apologise for non-native language flaws

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:07 pm

Yeah it's not all bad. We've got some fantastic country roads, great for throwing the car about like a hooli..... better stop there.
It's the Urban and Suburban roads which get the most wear and tear, plus as soon as you get a crack, winter turns it into a pot hole.
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

CNC

Post by CNC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:30 pm

Ekhangel wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:03 pm
By the way, and since we're in offtopic section anyway: how come the UK with its history of colonial wealth, might, global trade AND being allegedly first in introducing motor traffic has issues with constructing quality roads nowadays? England is not THAT big. Too many pounds allocated to welfare and benefits, or what? Oh, wait, let's not get too political here.
I also wonder the same, the UK really is not very big - where does all the money go???.

Back to UK roads. Our roads aren't too bad in comparison to the rest of the world, certainly not the best but a massive way from being the worst.

I think as UK roads on the whole are pretty good the cars have an easy life so suffer from little wheel misalignment unless through accident damage or hitting a kerb etc. I've had several hire cars in other countries that wouldn't even be allowed on the road in the EU, they just have such a hard life on very poor roads that take their toll on the whole vehicle.

Personally I would find a misaligned steering wheel really annoying in the UK, but on some of the worst roads on other continents you can't drive straight anyway so you don't notice it.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Ekhangel

Post by Ekhangel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 am

To give you a picture of my fortune in this field:

I previously owned a '07 A6 C6 (also with persistent misalignment issues) which was so unreliable I had to purchase a cheap second car just to maintain day-to-day mobility: '03 Skoda Fabia. This Fabia's steering wheel would always be turned about 20-30 degrees to the right when driving. Didn't even bother doing the alignment as I was fed up with the Audi maintenance costs. Anyway, when I mentioned the misalignment to the seller, he was like "oh... yeah? Never noticed that".

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:23 am

Probably says more to the maintenance and driving of previous owners, though back in the 70's and 80's this was a general thing. Garages would be lazy and adjust tracking one side so the steering centering would go out.

Though I remember receiving a brand new company car Rover in 1990, delivered to me with the steering wheel around 40 degrees off centre when straight ahead. I asked the delivery driver and he didn't care. Had to go straight into the local dealers (who hadn't supplied it) to be corrected. They weren't happy having to correct a factory and supplying garage fail.

Thank heavens quality has moved on now.

Ekhangel

Post by Ekhangel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:49 am

"Thank heavens quality has moved on now."

Some would probably say the opposite! But wheel alignment technology has surely advanced.