Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

huawei E8372h dongle setting up

22K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  MacBeth 
#1 ·
hi. :D
I have received my Huawei E8372h and my Three data sim but unsure about how to set it up to use in the Tiguan.
I have searched through the forum and cannot see any posts about actual initial setup.
After installing the sim card do I then have to plug it into my pc to set up or do I plug it into the Tiguan and do everything from the car.
thanks in advance. :

#2 ·
I plugged mine into my laptop. It has an AutoRun that will launch your browser to its page of 192.168.8.1.
You will see on that first page its connection i.e. 4G if it can can a 4G signal in your home or wherever.
You will then need to go to Three.co.uk/freedata and it will show you the Three page and on that it asks you to turn your wifi off on your laptop and refresh the page and will give your the page to fill in your details in connection to the SIM.

The Huawei dongle has an app, this one is for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.huawei.mw.
You can then use the app to read text messages sent to your SIM as when you register with Three it will send you your password via SMS text.

#5 ·
allant said:
Newfie
Up and running although not put it in the Tig yet.
Problem is it only running on 3g.
Any ideas why it is not seeing 4G

Thanks
Check on the Three website to see what coverage is like. Whatever it says don't take it as gospel as over influences affect it.

You need to try it in a different area.

You probably have but if not I suggest changing the network passcode so you haven't got too it up. I changed both the SSID and passcode.

Good to hear you got it running

#6 ·
Checked 4g coverage and supposed to be good although they say indoor areas may suffer. When first trying to setup had problems, went on three chat, who checked things out and said my free 200mb sim had no data allowance on it. So he gave me 1gb free. Changed pass code but not the SSID yet. But will do, definitely.
Thanks for your valuable help Newfie

#7 ·
allant said:
Checked 4g coverage and supposed to be good although they say indoor areas may suffer. When first trying to setup had problems, went on three chat, who checked things out and said my free 200mb sim had no data allowance on it. So he gave me 1gb free. Changed pass code but not the SSID yet. But will do, definitely.
No problem at all. It's good to hear you've sorted it.

#8 ·
allant said:
No reception of 4G signal might be caused as well by incompatible version of the Huawei wingle. Make sure yours is Huawei E8372h-153. Otherwise it might not work on the specific Three 4G bands: band 3(1800 MHz) and band 20(800 MHz). Other versions of E8372 do not support band 20 which may cause wingle to jump on to 3G.

Circuit component Font Gas Technology Electronic device

Attachments

#9 ·
Yes definitely a E8372h-153. I asked before I purchased one because of the 2 versions I was looking at that were available.
I posted the question about which one to buy and mrew42 pointed me in the right direction stating about Three 4g bands.
At the moment I have it set on auto perhaps setting it up to the specific bands might be better

#10 ·
Leave it on auto. Otherwise you'll lose Internet if not in 4G area. In auto it should in theory keep 4G as long as it is available and if not it would switch to 3G automatically.

#11 ·
Will do. Something else that I have noticed is when I to WLAN basic settings, there is 2 SSID's. 1 is Zong MBB-E8372 and the other is HUAWEI-340000-2.
Should they both be turned on.
also when i turned the Tigun off, I noticed the lights on the Huawei were still on, is that how it should be or will they shut off after a while.
thanks

#12 ·
allant said:
Will do. Something else that I have noticed is when I to WLAN basic settings, there is 2 SSID's. 1 is Zong MBB-E8372 and the other is HUAWEI-340000-2.
also when i turned the Tigun off, I noticed the lights on the Huawei were still on, is that how it should be or will they shut off after a while.
thanks
They shut off after a while.

#13 ·
allant said:
thanks
SSIDs are just the WIFI broadcast name - it's up to you which you use.
Both/either - entirely your choice as you decide which one you want to connect to in the car.

#14 ·
Finally got round to buying one of these Huawei wingles. Very good value compared to the VW ordinal version. Thanks to the tips above,setup was fairly painless with the 3 sim. It connects automatically within about 10 seconds of the ignition being switched on which is so much simpler than setting up my phone each time. The addition of Internet connectivity improves the level of sat nav information substantially. So far I've only used it around town so it will be interesting to see how it goes on a long journey. Installation in the boot is quite neat.

Attachments

#15 ·
Bulla43 said:
Finally got round to buying one of these Huawei wingles. Very good value compared to the VW ordinal version. Thanks to the tips above,setup was fairly painless with the 3 sim. It connects automatically within about 10 seconds of the ignition being switched on which is so much simpler than setting up my phone each time. The addition of Internet connectivity improves the level of sat nav information substantially. So far I've only used it around town so it will be interesting to see how it goes on a long journey. Installation in the boot is quite neat.
Where did you get that short 90 degree extension?

#16 ·
#17 ·
Guys,

Although fitting that Bulla 43 shown looks neat but this wingle location (hidden like that in the boot) does not help getting the best 4G signal from your phone network. Car is essentially a metal body i.e. mostly Faraday cage so it is the best to locate your Huawei close to windows for maximum performance. Otherwise your wingle will be dropping 4G signal frequently and switching to 3G (if at all).

Have a look here for what I have done with mine on my old Tig. Same replicated on the new R-Line.

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=622

#18 ·
That looks like a good setup for maximising the signal strength Slim. I'm getting 4 out of 5 bars 4G reception in the city which seems to be working fine.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Cheers mate. Think I will need more than the 200Mb a month as I use Waze a fair bit. Currently using my phone as a hotspot, but like the idea of a more integrated "always on" solution with the dongle.

#25 ·
Tim68 said:
Cheers mate. Think I will need more than the 200Mb a month as I use Waze a fair bit. Currently using my phone as a hotspot, but like the idea of a more integrated "always on" solution with the dongle.
If you are running Waze off your phone through Android Auto then you will continue to use your phones data allowance (unless you were going to use the wingle to hotspot your phone) Also I have my dongle in the boot powersocket which works pretty well but not quite as good as my S9 down in the centre console.
As an aside just using the wingle for VW satnav and weather, news feeds I haven`t used up my free 20mbs.

#26 ·
F2paul said:
Tim68 said:
If you are running Waze off your phone through Android Auto then you will continue to use your phones data allowance (unless you were going to use the wingle to hotspot your phone) Also I have my dongle in the boot powersocket which works pretty well but not quite as good as my S9 down in the centre console.
As an aside just using the wingle for VW satnav and weather, news feeds I haven`t used up my free 20mbs.
Thanks good point. Probably just stick with my phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.