Side Scan vs Emergency Assist

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
ozone456

Re: Side Scan vs Emergency Assist

Post by ozone456 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:15 am

cyrix2000 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 pm
It's really weird in the UK as the Sidescan package and Emergency assist package cost nearly the same but exclude each other (so you can only order the one or the other...).

and nobody seems to be able to confirm what each package consists of.
My car made its appearance and I had ordered Emergency Assist. Though I have not experienced the Emergency Assist functionality I did noticed visual warning via light in door mirror housing when ever a vehicle is in my blind spots. This would imply the radar sensor controlled warning system for lane changing and blind spots (Side-Scan) is part of Emergency Assist package - unless they’ve built my car incorrectly and I have Side-Scan and not Emergency Assist.
18/04: MY19 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion R-Line Tech DSG - White, Dynaudio, Emergency Assists , Headlight Washer, Tyre Pressure Monitor.

cyrix2000

Post by cyrix2000 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am

Ok, thanks for confirming that. So I guess Emergency Assist contains Side Asist for (nearly) the same price. Weird sales strategy by VW...

Rich-O

Post by Rich-O » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 pm

ozone456 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:15 am
cyrix2000 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 pm
It's really weird in the UK as the Sidescan package and Emergency assist package cost nearly the same but exclude each other (so you can only order the one or the other...).

and nobody seems to be able to confirm what each package consists of.
My car made its appearance and I had ordered Emergency Assist. Though I have not experienced the Emergency Assist functionality I did noticed visual warning via light in door mirror housing when ever a vehicle is in my blind spots. This would imply the radar sensor controlled warning system for lane changing and blind spots (Side-Scan) is part of Emergency Assist package - unless they’ve built my car incorrectly and I have Side-Scan and not Emergency Assist.
Ozone - Do your orange indicators in the mirrors flash if you indicate and there is a vehicle detected in your blind spot by the side scan? Mine do and I have the side scan option.

In the current VW options list Emergency Assist and Side Scan are now the same price at £410 - you can't have both according to the options / configurator.

Less easy to check if our vehicles have Emergency Assist functionality!
R-Line Tech TSI 230 4-Motion DSG - Indium Grey, Leather, Side Scan

ozone456

Post by ozone456 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:57 pm

I’ll have to find a quiet A road to test this out
18/04: MY19 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion R-Line Tech DSG - White, Dynaudio, Emergency Assists , Headlight Washer, Tyre Pressure Monitor.

ozone456

Post by ozone456 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:35 pm

From my read of the manual Emergency Assist is just an extension on Lane Assist.
Usual lane assist, after alerts and prompts (braking) to get you to take over steering, goes into “passive mode”. Believe that’s where, on the dash/instrument cluster, the lane assist light appears yellow meanin “Lane Assist is on but NOT active”...Better grab that wheel then as car is not in control!

If you have Emergency Assist , it does not go into passive mode. Instead an attempt is made to control the car, to take into account its surroundings via the Adaptive Cruise Control/Lane assist functions, weave the car, turns on the hazard lights (basically warning other users) and brings the car to a controlled stop.

There is a second generation Emergency Assist that adds Side Assist functionality to the mix and will even move the car into the slow lane. Believe it’s on latest Passat, Arteon and Touareg but not seen any discussion/comms to say it’s on the latest Tiggy’s .
@ Rich-O yes I get as you described hence the thought I may have Side Scan.
Someday, I’ll discover if it’s true Emergency Assist I have - I’m old school though so letting the car take control still weird (still not used Park Assist 😉)

ozone456

Post by ozone456 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:17 am

Rich-O wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Ozone - Do your orange indicators in the mirrors flash if you indicate and there is a vehicle detected in your blind spot by the side scan? Mine do and I have the side scan option.

In the current VW options list Emergency Assist and Side Scan are now the same price at £410 - you can't have both according to the options / configurator.

Less easy to check if our vehicles have Emergency Assist functionality!
So early morning errand, too early but that’s another story, one finds a quiet long stretch of dual carriageway which gave an opportunity to check if Emergency Assist is there.

Yep I do have Emergency Assist.

After usual lane assist prompts/beeps/braking, to get me to take the steering wheel, the Emergency Assist notification appeared on the instrument cluster, hazard lights engaged, and further braking to slow/stop my car. It’s at this point I took over the wheel and all went back to normal.
I didn’t want to take it further, just in case it triggers a automatic emergency call- it’s the section of manual I’ve not read yet.
As such no checks carried out to see if it’s the latest version of Emergency assist as shown in this video for the Arteon

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Wed May 22, 2019 7:06 am

Hi

Sorry to arrive late to this thread, just looked at the latest price list for the UK here;

http://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c ... celist.pdf

and on page 23, Emergency Assist includes a lot of stuff now, is this a mistake or an update for May 2019 onwards i wonder, if its an update for £410.00 its really good value for money in my opinion.

Thanks

Dave

ozone456

Post by ozone456 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:09 am

DaveC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:06 am
Hi

Sorry to arrive late to this thread, just looked at the latest price list for the UK here;

http://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c ... celist.pdf

and on page 23, Emergency Assist includes a lot of stuff now, is this a mistake or an update for May 2019 onwards i wonder, if its an update for £410.00 its really good value for money in my opinion.

Thanks

Dave
My car, MY19 built in March 2019, has Emergency Assist and from my basic tests seems to have the functionality expand on in the brochure. However I did not check fully. I had asked VW uk which version of Emergency Assist the car had but they’ve not got back to me. That was a month ago.

suboilbib

Post by suboilbib » Thu May 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks for all the info on this. My dealer has just changed my order from Side Scan to Emergency Assist based on the new details.
On Order: 2019 Tiguan Allspace R-Line Tech 2.0 BiTDi 240PS 4Motion in Platinum Grey with Head-Up Display, Emergency Assist and Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

Ordered: 13 Apr 2019
Order no.: 23 Apr
Stage 2: 11 May
Stage 3: Wk 35
Stage 5a: 28 Aug

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Thu May 23, 2019 2:28 pm

That's good to hear, i presume then that the info is correct and the VW UK website for Tiguan configuration has not been updated yet to reflect that these items are included in the Emergency Assist when you click on the "I" fro information.

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.