Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Closing boot with key MY2019

24K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  Hillbilly 
#1 ·
It worked on my old tiguan but for some reason I just tried to close the boot with the keyfob but it doesnt work. Opening is fine just not closing it on my 2019 R tech model...anyone have the same problem

#2 ·
Have you tried it standing closer to the car? Only reason I ask is that a previous thread mentioned you could unlock and open from some distance away. But to close the boot you need to be a lot closer, for 2018 onwards models.

#4 ·
Non All space?

#5 ·
Just tried it on my 2019 R Line 230 and it works, you do have to press and hold the boot opening and close button but it opens on the button and closes on the button.

#6 ·
It's the non allspace version.

Tried it again today. Seems a bit temperamental. Worked last night after I asked for advice...and seems ok today hmmm

#7 ·
Bruce287 said:

Tried it again today. Seems a bit temperamental. Worked last night after I asked for advice...and seems ok today hmmm
You do have to be within 6 feet for it to work i have found, any further away and it seemed to sometimes work and sometimes not.

#9 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Bruce287 said:

You do have to be within 6 feet for it to work i have found, any further away and it seemed to sometimes work and sometimes not.
Mine has never not worked. I can open/close from inside my house and have also done it at some distance without issues. Maybe it could be affected by signal interference?

#10 ·
Jeremy_SWE said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Bruce287 said:

Mine has never not worked. I can open/close from inside my house and have also done it at some distance without issues. Maybe it could be affected by signal interference?
x2, I Have just opened mine while in the back garden, probably a good 25 feet away from my car.

#11 ·
I can open it pretty much anywhere, its closing it which is a pain. If I was to close it literally about a foot or two away which is strange as I thought the purpose of the key is to do it remotely. I know I can use either of the two buttons in the boot but think its odd that I cannot do it with the key

#12 ·
Bruce287 said:
I can open it pretty much anywhere, its closing it which is a pain. If I was to close it literally about a foot or two away which is strange as I thought the purpose of the key is to do it remotely. I know I can use either of the two buttons in the boot but think its odd that I cannot do it with the key
Should have put open and closed from 25 foot away no problems.

#13 ·
182_blue said:
Bruce287 said:
Weird!! So 2018 onwards you can't really close it unless you are near it!!

#14 ·
Bruce287 said:
182_blue said:
Bruce287 said:
Within 6 feet i can close mine, not sure why i would be much further away to be honest.

#15 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Bruce287 said:
182_blue said:
Within 6 feet i can close mine, not sure why i would be much further away to be honest.
I'm saying it would be useful to have say if I took things from the boot and my hands are full. Rather than coming out again to shut the boot I could use the key. I know there are the other options on the boot but thought it was a bit of a backward step. if I was within 6 feet away then I wouldn't use the keyfob.

#16 ·
Bruce287 said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Bruce287 said:
I'm saying it would be useful to have say if I took things from the boot and my hands are full. Rather than coming out again to shut the boot I could use the key. I know there are the other options on the boot but thought it was a bit of a backward step. if I was within 6 feet away then I wouldn't use the keyfob.
Just opened and closed mine from inside the house but I am around 6 feet away so it will work indoors if your that close, i personally would not want to be too far away from the car with the boot left open but it may well be different for others I appreciate.

#17 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Bruce287 said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Just opened and closed mine from inside the house but I am around 6 feet away so it will work indoors if your that close, i personally would not want to be too far away from the car with the boot left open but it may well be different for others I appreciate.
Are you facing the boot or are you facing the front? I generally park with the nose in on my drive. I can definitely open it from within the house

#19 ·
Bruce287 said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Bruce287 said:
Are you facing the boot or are you facing the front? I generally park with the nose in on my drive. I can definitely open it from within the house
I am facing the boot.

#20 ·
scrounger said:
if you are taking stuff out of the boot and your hands are full, before you pick everything up, press the button to the right of the boot close and when you go out of range by about 4 feet, the boot will close itself.
Good point. :)

#21 ·
I know mine's a 2016 model, but on one or two rare occasions I've pressed the right hand button and walked away and the boot hasn't closed itself, and I've been at my front door before I've realised, I've just used the remote button to close it. I must have been around 20 feet away, but it's still closed ok.

Steve

#22 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
scrounger said:
if you are taking stuff out of the boot and your hands are full, before you pick everything up, press the button to the right of the boot close and when you go out of range by about 4 feet, the boot will close itself.
As mentioned before I'm aware that I can use the buttons to close the boot.

In summary then, I've found that late 2018 and onwards models you cannot close the boot with the key unless you are close to the boot.

Cheers for confirming

#23 ·
Bruce287 said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:
scrounger said:
As mentioned before I'm aware that I can use the buttons to close the boot.

In summary then, I've found that late 2018 and onwards models you cannot close the boot with the key unless you are close to the boot.

Cheers for confirming
How far away did you want to use it?

#24 ·
It is probably a 'safety' thing. With the Allspace, you can't shut the boot by key fob from anywhere, the assumption being you should be at the boot to make sure your third row passengers are aware that the boot is about to close.

For the standard model, someone has decided that you should be close enough to see that it is safe to close the boot, whilst not being so close that the boot door will hit you on the way down , eg. leaning inside the car and squishing the fob in your pocket that activates the closure.

#26 ·
brian1983 said:
I tried to close my boot from inside my house last night. No joy, I was about 10 feet away, opened no problem, nothing happens when I tried to close it, had to go out and hit the button, 2019 standard Tiguan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you press and hold the boot close button?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.