Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Is battery charging possible

16K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  PokeItWithAStick 
#1 ·
Having had a history of previous cars with battery warnings (maybe too many short journeys), i've gotten used to getting out my CTEK MSX 5.0.

However, having just collected my brand new Allspace, and reading the manual, I read that charging the battery should only be done by a qualified workshop.

This REALLY surprised me as many premium cars on the market (Range Rover etc) offer rebranded CTEK chargers. So, is this overkill by VW and a lame excuse to get you back to the dealer, or would charging the 12V EFB battery do serious damage to it - and possibly void the warrantee?

#3 ·
182_blue said:
The local VW dealer near me has all the showroom cars connected to Ctek chargers so I guess its a bit of overkill.
Good point.

I guess that then raises the question, should you connect to the positive and negative terminals of the battery, or to the positive and to the chassis's earth point (as was the case with my Octavia)?

#4 ·
The chassis earth point is easily accessible and easy to hook up, so I'd use that every time. Connect to it last and disconnect first just in case you forget to unplug the charger - less chance of a spark igniting any hydrogen.

#7 ·
I look at this thread in absolute amazement, why in the UK do you need to supplement the alternator output with a battery charger, I have never seen it done in a car show room here but then it is many years sine I worked at a dealer. Is this a thing that all people have to do?

#8 ·
Batteries in showrooms go flat with customer use, so it makes sense to connect something that maintains the battery.

As for charging a SS battery I found with my CX-5 that it never fully charges using my Aldi smart charger, and the dealer had a special expensive charger or quick charging, giving something like 17 volts out...

These batteries cannot be compared to the older ones we use to have fitted.

#9 ·
Chris said:
I look at this thread in absolute amazement, why in the UK do you need to supplement the alternator output with a battery charger, I have never seen it done in a car show room here but then it is many years sine I worked at a dealer. Is this a thing that all people have to do?
It's become normal for dealers in the UK to leave showroom vehicle lights on all day and also night, it does look good when you drive past in darkness but you can see all the front and rear car LED's on, so they keep them on charge to stop the batteries going flat.

Outside of the showroom perhaps people do too many short journeys so the battery never gets back to full power, plus some have dash cams that are always active even when the ignition is turned off, apart from that I really don't know, it's also a mystery to me.

#10 ·
..... if you want to be really controversial and divide opinion -

Change your 12v rear boot socket to be permanently powered, then install a little 5w or 10w solar panel on the rear parcel shelf to help trickle charge / maintain the battery ;)

If you don't do much milage or mainly short trips, it can work wonders for the smooth running of the start/stop and electronic handbrake systems which can be a little voltage sensitive.

Through personal experience and that of friends, so glad I've always had an AGM battery installed in my current and previous car - they just seem to be able to handle technology loaded cars better.

#11 ·
CaptainMidnight said:
..... if you want to be really controversial and divide opinion -

Change your 12v rear boot socket to be permanently powered, then install a little 5w or 10w solar panel on the rear parcel shelf to help trickle charge / maintain the battery ;)

If you don't do much milage or mainly short trips, it can work wonders for the smooth running of the start/stop and electronic handbrake systems which can be a little voltage sensitive.

Through personal experience and that of friends, so glad I've always had an AGM battery installed in my current and previous car - they just seem to be able to handle technology loaded cars better.
From the manual.......
Eye Human body Rectangle Font Magenta

Steve

Attachments

#12 ·
The manual can say whatever it wants, on a whole host of things - if you don't have the knowledge and/or experience of what you're doing with your car then it's probably best that you don't do anything that the "manual" or the "car manufacturer" doesn't approve of full stop, irrespective of car age or warranty status.

As I said, many will think such a suggestion is controversial, especially for the very reason you have highlighted - I fully admit I should have included that known caveat from the manual in my comment, but I do believe people should personally both research and be confident in whatever they do in the first place - number one on that list would be reading their car manual in that specific area ;)

#14 ·
Popped into the dealer yesterday and they had a Tiguan in the show room on trickle charge. The charger was a CTEK, connected to earth and positive terminals.

The dealer was surprised when I told him what the manual says about charging.

It seems to me that charging is fine with a good quality charger, but VW probably find it easier to advise against it rather than testing and approving chargers

#15 ·
The correct way to charge the battery is as shown on the battery terminal covers.
Connect the RED +ve lead direct to the positive terminal on the battery.
Connect the BLACK -ve lead to the metal earth star point post on the bulkhead directly behind the battery.
This allows the battery sense electronics fitted to the negative terminal to monitor battery parameters.
I have used this method many times without problem (using a CTek smart charger) and with the battery still connected to the car.
With regard to the fitment of AGM batteries- it appears VW changed to EFB+ batteries for more recent models. Original 2016 Tiguans seem to have been fitted with the superior AGM type, as mine was.

#17 ·
It's possible- but the Tiguan doesn't have true 'Regenerative Braking' in the accepted sense.
It has electronic control of the alternator which changes the way the car charges during braking.
True regenerative braking is only found on the electric VWs, where energy built up during forward motion is converted to electricity by motors on the wheels, to charge the batteries during braking and slowing down.

#18 ·
I've just checked and my Tig is fitted with a varta AGM battery so not sure about the statement about VW fitting EFB + batteries.

#19 ·
Having an AGM or EFB or EFB+ type battery fitted at the assembly plant is probably more likely a supply and demand situation at time of assembly/location - in reality we'd all hope every car was fitted with the better battery - based on our technology loaded cars that's probably the AGM battery.

I'm seeing this from the perspective of types/manufacturers of tyres which are fitted at the assembly plant. There may well be a cost factor on some occasions, but we're never really likely to find out.

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.