Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Dash cam recommendations

34K views 71 replies 28 participants last post by  nevetseel 
#1 ·
Hi All
Having just been involved in an accident where a numpty was going to fast in the wet and aquaplaned into the side off my tiggy ( smashed driver and rear doors ) i have decided when i get the car back to have to have front and rear dashcam fitted so any recomendations please .

#2 ·
Trainman - Sorry to hear about your altercation with a numpty. There are many threads about dash cams on this forum, try doing a search as there are lots of different makes of dash cam discussed.

#4 ·
Dash cam won't do huge amounts against a side impact, but I'd say Garmin 55/56 or Transcend DrivePro as being good cams and reasonable value for money. You can of course go much more expensive like with anything....

#6 ·
#9 ·
Just a question to anyone that has front and rear dash cameras in your Tiguans - do you suffer from interference with the DAB radio ?
i am having an ongoing battle with my VW dealer and a Nextbase 522GW and rear camera which makes DAB radio virtually unusable as it just keeps dropping out.
They have fitted a couple of ferrite cores as suggested by Nextbase but still no good. I am at the point of wanting a total refund (also had lots of other problems with the front 522 camera and am on camera number 3 now).
I would really like front and rear cameras !
Is my VW dealer just not upto the task ? is it all down to the routing of the cable to the rear camera ?

#10 ·
Rando said:
Just a question to anyone that has front and rear dash cameras in your Tiguans - do you suffer from interference with the DAB radio ?
i am having an ongoing battle with my VW dealer and a Nextbase 522GW and rear camera which makes DAB radio virtually unusable as it just keeps dropping out.
They have fitted a couple of ferrite cores as suggested by Nextbase but still no good. I am at the point of wanting a total refund (also had lots of other problems with the front 522 camera and am on camera number 3 now).
Is my VW dealer just not upto the task ? is it all down to the routing of the cable to the rear camera ?
We are lucky in AUS as we dont get DAB radio in VW but Audi do and some have had trouble but Blackvue supposedly put out an improved cable but it does pay to keep the radio and the camera cable well apart..

Dont know that make but its seems the BV dont have trouble now.

I dont because I have two completely separate cameras and not a 2 ch version

I have a 750S in the front and a completely separate DR450 S in the rear. I almost never bother looking at the cards anyway unless there is a problem

#11 ·
Rando said:
Not had a, single issue with DAB and the blackvue 900 the DAB works without an issue.

#12 ·
Thank you Hillbilly & JK-VWTiguanR for the replies.
I will look further at the BV cameras and maybe get someone else to install the cameras rather than VW.
First need to get a refund !

#13 ·
I gave up on dab a long time ago, its rubbish.

#14 ·
SkyJawa said:
I gave up on dab a long time ago, its rubbish.

I agree we dont get it in the cars here and I have a DAB+ radio at home and 40 mins out of city centre i have to virtually stand on the roof with one leg pointing 173.5deg south to get a decent signal

#15 ·
Hi guys and gals, I too am looking to replace my old Transcend Drivepro 200 1080p 160deg wide angle lens dash cam for a more up-to-date one that also has a parking function (able to record dings in doors etc when ignition key out and vehicle locked) and a rear camera (ideally a duo so the inside and side areas are also in view of the camera).
Any ideas welcome ;-)

#16 ·
Bruce287 said:
Sorry to hear bout your accident pal...I have Vantrue N2 Pro that covers front and inside the vehicle enough for me to get the rear too
Hi Bruce287, are you able to post some images of your Vantrue dash cam please? I'm interested to know where you've managed to install it so it's not too intrusive.
Cheers,
Wildcat

#17 ·
So going back to my previous post, I think I've narrowed it down to a Nextbase 522GW with a cabin view add on camera (I'm presuming there is a built-in battery/capacitor with the Nextbase kit?) or the Vantrue N2 Pro, but would like to see it mounted in a Tig as I'm pretty sure the rear mirror housing is likely to get in the way, or one of the sun visors, which defeats the object of being able to records the rear view...
Yes, I've done a fair bit of research these last few days/nights and I've pretty much confused myself with all the different types :shock: so I'm looking for some straight, no nonsense advice which I'm sure you guys are very well placed to offer :D

#18 ·
I have the 522gw, fitted by Halford and am very pleased with it. I didn't have the rear view cam fitted for no other reason that can't afford it at the moment. Only advice I can offer is ensure that the ferrite core is fitted near the camera. Mine is right next to the mirror housing and is not noticible.

#19 ·
Wildcat said:
So going back to my previous post, I think I've narrowed it down to a Nextbase 522GW with a cabin view add on camera (I'm presuming there is a built-in battery/capacitor with the Nextbase kit?) or the Vantrue N2 Pro, but would like to see it mounted in a Tig as I'm pretty sure the rear mirror housing is likely to get in the way, or one of the sun visors, which defeats the object of being able to records the rear view...
Yes, I've done a fair bit of research these last few days/nights and I've pretty much confused myself with all the different types :shock: so I'm looking for some straight, no nonsense advice which I'm sure you guys are very well placed to offer :D
I'm currently out of the country tillSeptember. You are correct if you pull the visor down it does block it from recording. I fed the cable from the glove box and up the side. I'm sure I posted a photo in one of the dashcam threads. Sorry can't help much at the moment

#20 ·
milligan said:
I have the 522gw, fitted by Halford and am very pleased with it. I didn't have the rear view cam fitted for no other reason that can't afford it at the moment. Only advice I can offer is ensure that the ferrite core is fitted near the camera. Mine is right next to the mirror housing and is not noticible.
Cheers Milligan, will do.

#21 ·
Bruce287 said:
Wildcat said:
I'm currently out of the country tillSeptember. You are correct if you pull the visor down it does block it from recording. I fed the cable from the glove box and up the side. I'm sure I posted a photo in one of the dashcam threads. Sorry can't help much at the moment
No worries, I'll keep searching, hope you're having a nice time and many thanks.

#23 ·
I've decided on the Viofo A129 duo with 3-wire hardwire kit with CPL filter and the bluetooth remote button. Found useful info on dashcamtalk and whilst the blackvue and thinkware kit is very nice, it does come with a price tag to match, so figured i'd go with a slightly cheaper option which still ticks all of my boxes. I just need to find the threads on here about hardwiring and which fuses to piggy-back from so I know what size fuse taps to buy. I know I've seen it somewhere on here ;-)

#24 ·
Wildcat said:
I've decided on the Viofo A129 duo with 3-wire hardwire kit with CPL filter and the bluetooth remote button. Found useful info on dashcamtalk and whilst the blackvue and thinkware kit is very nice, it does come with a price tag to match, so figured i'd go with a slightly cheaper option which still ticks all of my boxes. I just need to find the threads on here about hardwiring and which fuses to piggy-back from so I know what size fuse taps to buy. I know I've seen it somewhere on here ;-)
There are normally only two sizes of Fuses Standard and Mini which also fit the useless micro fuses.

Just make sure you put them in the correct way around. The correct way is with the power coming IN the side away from the wire so that the current goes to both fuses like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B-klcZuxYUZc-u4nINLR82yrSmfU8CxS/view?usp=sharing.
Just dont use airbag or ABS fuses

#25 ·
Hillbilly said:
Wildcat said:
There are normally only two sizes of Fuses Standard and Mini which also fit the useless micro fuses.

Just make sure you put them in the correct way around. The correct way is with the power coming IN the side away from the wire so that the current goes to both fuses like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B-klcZuxYUZc-u4nINLR82yrSmfU8CxS/view?usp=sharing.
Many thanks Hillbilly, I've just watched the video that Tubemonster provided here https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5882#p62909
Looks like the chap in the video (and it is for a Tiguan, not a Toureg as titled) and he seems to be using F10 for the permanent live but I can't tell which fuse number he's used for the switched live - he says its the aux heater, but in my manual (page 262) F32 to F37 are not labelled. The earth is simple enough. Looks like they'll both be mini fuse taps though.

#26 ·
Wildcat said:
Hillbilly said:
Wildcat said:

Many thanks Hillbilly, I've just watched the video that Tubemonster provided here https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5882#p62909
Looks like the chap in the video (and it is for a Tiguan, not a Toureg as titled) and he seems to be using F10 for the permanent live but I can't tell which fuse number he's used for the switched live - he says its the aux heater, but in my manual (page 262) F32 to F37 are not labelled. The earth is simple enough. Looks like they'll both be mini fuse taps though.
What I did was put them in blank fuse sockets as VW have plenty of them Just get a meter and stick it in the top of empty sockets (You may need a pin unless you have a fine probe) You can see the metal in the socket at thh top Stick one in where you get power when ign off Then find one with no power and turn ign on while probe is in.
Thats how I do it on mine Then you only need a 5amp fuse in the top slot in the addafuse and it doesnt upset any of the cars circuits

I had a map of the fuse box but I cant find it ATM Will look in the morning as its 2130 here in AUS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.