Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Has anyone had any issues with Auto-Hold and the Handbrake please?

103K views 62 replies 38 participants last post by  Tricky 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Everything was going well, until all of a sudden the car won't pull off and release from Auto-Hold (green P on dashboard / auto-hold lit up near gear stick). The car literally holds on the spot and doesn't go anywhere - then either creaks (handbrake sort of noise from the rear) or stalled.

If Auto-Hold is turned off, the car even doesn't move from the spot when pulling off with the handbrake on. I can only assume from reading the handbook that the car should automatically release from the handbrake (ignoring Auto-Hold, as that is even off) and pull off, like with any car with a handbrake button.... . You don't have to press the handbrake button down to pull off do you, regardless of Auto-Hold being on/off?

The only way to ensure no issues is to turn Auto-Hold off and manually push down the handbrake button to pull off...

Otherwise, I have this issue. I am talking a brand new car here!! But all was OK for a bit...

Sometimes, i also notice the Auto-Hold button doesn't register when you push it, so push on/off is more like push twice or three times to turn on/off.

Apparently, nothing is wrong with it, but I am due to go out in it later with a technician to show them.

Hoping nothing is wrong and it is just me, but all was OK to start with and I didn't even think about the feature. The Auto-Hold feature was automatically on from new and I was enjoying it.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi PWVWT2017

If I understand you correctly the handbrake will never automatically release if the autohold is switched off, you have to manually release the handbrake using the handbrake switch.

Autohold, I find is a set and forget it technology as I have it it on constantly (autohold switch on with a orange light showing).

If it is on and the handbrake is not releasing automatically (i.e. no switch pushing required) when you try and pull away there might be a fault.

I know in my previous Golf it had autohold and I had to have my seat belt on and buckled before it would work but that feature seems to have been dropped now with the Tig, though that maybe because I have DSG rather than a manual in my Golf.

If its causing issues I would get it booked in at the dealers.

I presume there is no warnings/messages on the 'Car' section of the infotainment screen?

#3 ·
I agree Wsbtaylor, mine is also 'set and forget'. The only time it might get switched of temporarily is when using the 'Park Assist', but even then I can usually get buy with a little light feathering of the brake pedal to avoid the handbrake coming on.

Steve

#4 ·
Hi wsbtaylor and PWVWT2017,

The electronic handbrake should release automatically when pulling away irrelevant if auto hold is on or off, there is no need to manually release. As with the auto hold if activated this will also automatically release once there is enough momentum to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards (forwards if reversing). You can release handbrake manually but there is no need.

If auto hold is activated and the vehicle is stood still for a lengthy period of time the car will then automatically apply the electronic handbrake as well. Also if auto hold is on and you stop and switch off ignition the car will automatically apply the electronic handbrake.

If either are not working correctly then report to your dealer would be my suggestion and from you emai PWVWT2017l it sounds like you have a fault.

Hope the issue is resolved swiftly for you.

#5 ·
Wsbtaylor said:
I know in my previous Golf it had autohold and I had to have my seat belt on and buckled before it would work but that feature seems to have been dropped now with the Tig, though that maybe because I have DSG rather than a manual in my Golf.
Auto hold not working was one of the reasons ours went back. I was tolled that if the seatbelt is not buckled up or one of the doors is not shut correctly then auto hold will not work on the tig.

#6 ·
I had one instance of being stuck at traffic lights 2 weeks ago without warning when the car wouldn't move I had to go in and out of park twice before the brake would release. This was certainly a surprise I've never had any issues wth auto hold or the electronic handbrake in 8 years of multiple Tiguan ownership.
The problem has not re occurred since.

#7 ·
Hi all.

VW recovery (with the AA) have been fantastic. Great service, which I am not used to with other brands previously.

Basically, I was right (and others above) that whether the Auto-Hold is on or off the car will automatically turn the handbrake off when pulling away. I had what Tig16 witnessed above a few times in the same day - really stuck in position. I am hoping it hasn't damaged car as the noise and force was incredible (along with the creaking).

However, the AA guy wired the car up, test drove it and even met me at the end of the day to come out in the car for over half an hour.

Cutting a long story short, all good, hasn't happened at all today and no faults. The AA guy agreed something must have happened yesterday as I couldn't re-enact it even if I tried (as there is no physical way of causing your car to stick on the spot when trying to pull off - unless some random event happened, which it did).

I know I don't know what happened, but still, hopefully it will never go wrong again!

The guy also advised to use manual push down of the handbrake if it didn't bother me, as it saves the clutch. Now, that is a debate for another day!! But I bet he is right.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses and this forum looks fantastic in my early days.

Cheers :)

#9 ·
Sometimes when I don't depress the break pedal hard enough the handbrake acts up when I want to release it. Usually is enough just to remove foot from break pedal and try again, firmer.

Otherwise nothing so far on the pedal front.

#11 ·
Not personally had issues with the handbrake but I know if not enough revs or car thinks it will stall it will not release. Also I have had experience where the grit they like to coat the roads with during the winter causing brakes to stick on or the grit get caught in the mechanism, then said grit either dissolves or breaks up and everything works as normal. Glad to hear its back to normal though.

#15 ·
Hi PWVWT2017

I took delivery of a new Tiguan SE Nav this morning and am having the exact issues. Auto hold will simply not release. Did your issue fix itself or did the AA do something to get it working? My previous car was a Tiguan and had the same function so I'm definitely not just being a tool!

Thanks, Luke

#16 ·
I had this issue of handbrake not releasing once on my Golf. I just jabbed the brake and then the accelerater a few times and eventually it released. Only happened once. I love the electronic brake and auto hold. Great system - set and forget!

#17 ·
My advice is once the system is working, never ever touch the brake lever or auto hold button again. I'm sure touching it messes with its sequence / set up.

#20 ·
Lukebeeson2k said:
Hi PWVWT2017

I took delivery of a new Tiguan SE Nav this morning and am having the exact issues. Auto hold will simply not release. Did your issue fix itself or did the AA do something to get it working? My previous car was a Tiguan and had the same function so I'm definitely not just being a tool!

Thanks, Luke
Hi Luke.

It seemed to resolve itself, having annoyingly not gone wrong even once for the AA guy! He agreed something must have gone wrong though having described the circumstances to him.

I don't tend to have Auto-Hold on much now, since he said if you can do without it it is better for the clutch. I can see why that would be and unless there was loads of hills on the journey I don't bother really.

#22 ·
Hi all. Great to find this thread. We took delivery of a brand new 17 plate 150 R-Line Tiguan a couple of weeks ago and have exactly the same issue with the auto-hold intermittently sticking without rhyme or reason. Took the tip from here and have VW roadside assist coming tomorrow to look at the clutch sensor. Fingers crossed. I've also gone into menu - > vehicle - > settings - > parking and manoeuvring and have turned off 'Manoeuvre braking' to see if that helps. Will report back updates asap.

#23 ·
Since my last post, sadly my issues have continued with the Auto Hold. VW have been out 2 times, and it got sent back to the dealership last week. They replaced the clutch sensor and all was well....for 2 days. Back to square one again now! It simply won't release. Will see what they say next week but it is extremely annoying.

#24 ·
Ive just had my new tiggy delivered, and within 75 miles i have the same issue.
Also had it on the r line 2017 golf i hired.
It almost seems like dust on a sensor.
I can confirm im using the correct method to release.
I did find that a period of non-town driving. ie: motorway eased the problem.

Then after a while, the problem on the golf went away.

We shall see if that applies to the tig.

#25 ·
I (thought I) had this issue the very first time I tried to pull out of my drive but it just turned out the driver door wasn't shut properly.

First of all the handbreak wouldn't release and the screen said something like press the break to override (perhaps you don't see this without active display?), which I did and then was able to pull away.

Then the auto hold wasn't working when I stopped at junctions etc, and I ended up pulling over. I think after restarting the engine I noticed the door warning and a quick open and close sorted it.

This may not be what caused it for others but did for me, and I haven't had the same issue since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.