Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Caravan with LED road lights

6K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  lagerorwine 
#1 ·
Hi,

About to swop my current 2013 caravan, and pull the trigger on a 2020 Swift caravan that has LED road lights.

Does anyone know if my 2017 SEL with factory swivelling towbar and electrics will be OK at detecting caravan for lights to work OK?

Apparently some brands of car have issues, and the caravan need a VLM box adding?

#2 ·
We have just recently bought a new 2020 Swift Challenger after trading in our previous Swift Sprite. Both caravan have LED road lights. We have a non- VW tow bar, but the electrics are dedicated. We have not had any problems with the lights, so you should be OK.

#3 ·
Old Salt said:
We have just recently bought a new 2020 Swift Challenger after trading in our previous Swift Sprite. Both caravan have LED road lights. We have a non- VW tow bar, but the electrics are dedicated. We have not had any problems with the lights, so you should be OK.
Thanks for confirming that. You could probably answer another question I have, if you don't mind. If your Challenger has a fixed bed, was the spare wheel under the bed, or on an Alko carrier?

Thanks again

#4 ·
Sorry, we have had a 2 berth on both the caravans. The spare wheel is located in the gas locker on both.
If you join the excellent Caravan Talk forum, you should get a definitive answer. &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

#5 ·
I can also confirm you should have no issues with the lights (no vlm needed). Reversing lights also work although you wont have the added alarm feature you would of had with your old van with filament bulbs where if you locked the car with the van attached and someone unplugged the electrics the alarm would go off, with LED's this wont work. As stated in the handbook.

#7 ·
it will be fine, although depending on what swift you weights may be wrong. if its a challenger or an elegance you will be over 100% on the caravan weight to car ration. :shock:

#8 ·
#9 ·
Tubemonster said:
chillyman50 said:
it will be fine, although depending on what swift you weights may be wrong. if its a challenger or an elegance you will be over 100% on the caravan weight to car ration. :shock:
Not sure you're right there! Have a browse of https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/volkswagen-tiguan and the OP's is a heavier diesel.
hi
:idea: Volkswagen quotes a range of kerbweights from 1645kg to 1862kg. Even working from the lower figure, that gives a reasonable 85% match figure of 1398kg.
[/i] the tiguan will most like y be around 1750kg. the sift elegance or challenger 4 births are around 1600 to 1800kg ish. that means you would would be very close to or over the kerbweight limit. :shock:
it is not advised to tow something that is heavier than the car, certainly not over 95% of kerbweight. hope that clarfies. :)

#10 ·
chillyman50 said:
Tubemonster said:
chillyman50 said:
Not sure you're right there! Have a browse of https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/volkswagen-tiguan and the OP's is a heavier diesel.
hi
:idea: Volkswagen quotes a range of kerbweights from 1645kg to 1862kg. Even working from the lower figure, that gives a reasonable 85% match figure of 1398kg.
[/i] the tiguan will most like y be around 1750kg. the sift elegance or challenger 4 births are around 1600 to 1800kg ish. that means you would would be very close to or over the kerbweight limit. :shock:
it is not advised to tow something that is heavier than the car, certainly not over 95% of kerbweight. hope that clarfies. :)
the Elegance might be heavier agreed but the challenger will have a MTPLM of 1500kg* max if upgraded so will be fine around the 86% mark.

*unless that's changed in the last 4 yrs

#11 ·
Must add that I'm talking about single axle vans. So definitely agree it depends which van OP is getting regarding weight ratio but doesn't matter about the lights.

#12 ·
chillyman50 said:
My 2019 sel 190 diesel has a mass in service of 1755kg and I tow 1700kg with it a swift conqueror with an original MTPLM of 1636kg for a 2017 model.
My mate has just ordered a swift challenger 880 with a MTPLM of around 1640kg.

#13 ·
Tubemonster said:
chillyman50 said:
Tubemonster said:
hi
the Elegance might be heavier agreed but the challenger will have a MTPLM of 1500kg* max if upgraded so will be fine around the 86% mark. :)

i think your absolutely fine to go to 95% if experienced. the Elegance is about 100/150kg heavier. you need q5/x3/disco and upwards for those :lol: .

#14 ·
xtrailman said:
chillyman50 said:
My 2019 sel 190 diesel has a mass in service of 1755kg and I tow 1700kg with it a swift conqueror with an original MTPLM of 1636kg for a 2017 model.
yep, as I said the elegance is their upmarket vans are heavier.
The challenger the mid entry vans are their lower spec and weights. you are a bit on the high side but still very doable. The best thing is to tow in sport mode, or if you have adaptive dynamics then individual and just take off the sport throttle. which is what i do. It gets the 5 star review from practical caravan.

#15 ·
xtrailman said:
Yeah I forgot that they all do 8 ft wide models now which probably accounts for the extra weight

#16 ·
chillyman50 said:
Tubemonster said:
chillyman50 said:
hi
the Elegance might be heavier agreed but the challenger will have a MTPLM of 1500kg* max if upgraded so will be fine around the 86% mark. :)

i think your absolutely fine to go to 95% if experienced. the Elegance is about 100/150kg heavier. you need q5/x3/disco and upwards for those :lol: .
I looked into Q5 kerbweighs a lot are only 1715kg

#17 ·
xtrailman said:
chillyman50 said:
Tubemonster said:

I looked into Q5 kerbweighs a lot are only 1715kg THE NEWER ONES MAY BE LIGHTER , I THOUGHT THE 2.0 D 190PS QUATTTRO WAS ABOUT 1850, BUT THERE YOU GO TO LIGHT

#18 ·
For info, I have towed caravans for 40 yrs, including recent ones at 96% weight match (with a previous Mk3 Mondeo). We always pack heavy items in the car, so with 2 passengers, its a much lower ratio.

We have ordered a dealer special Challenger 580, maximum weight of 1593kg, which I am having uplifted to 1650kg (purely to avoid a fine due to any loading mis-calculations if encountering a roadside check), so I believe I am fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.