4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed!

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Chris

Re: 4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed!

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:37 am

To add to this and my comments above VW have just been forced into an agreement in Oz concerning warranty and faulty vehicles by the government's consumer watch dog

https://www.drive.com.au/car-article/vw ... ts--119403
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG

Glos Guy

Post by Glos Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm

We have a 2018 190PS TDi 4 Motion DSG and get this occasional unpleasant grating noise when you take your foot off the accelerator or apply slight power, both at low speed. This car replaced a 2015 140PS TDi 4 Motion DSG which also did it, but far worse, especially towards the end of the 3 years. Sounds as though the engine is knackered. Thankfully, most of my driving is in a BMW 520d Auto which from an engine refinement perspective is two classes above the supposedly comparable VW powerplant (as it is for performance and many other things).
2018 Tiguan SEL 2.0TDi 190PS 4-Motion DSG
Indium Grey. Storm Grey Leather with Electric Drivers Seat & 3 Position Memory. Keyless Access. Keyless Start. Fully Automated Tailgate. Park Assist. Rear Camera. Voice Activation. Tyre Pressure Monitoring.

robang2007

Post by robang2007 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi
Has anyone had any experience of clonking noises coming from the DSG ? I have been reading through this thread which is mentioning 'grating' noises, but this is definitely not that.The car is a 2018 2.0 Tsi R-Line with 2000 miles on the clock. When taking my foot off the accelerator and occasionally when it changes down, there is a clonking noise which seems to be coming from the gearbox and/or it's peripheral parts. I am just out of the dealers who have done a software reset but the noise is still occurring. The technician does not know what is causing the problem but is sure it's not normal.
Any thoughts ?
Rob
On order for 18 plate delivery. 2.0TSI R-Line 4motion in white with park assist and camera, headlight washers, heated screen and wireless charger + free servicing

GTD184

Post by GTD184 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:53 pm

It appears that the noise problem has gained momentum now there are decent numbers of Tiguan out in the field.

How much longer can VW deny a problem exists with their DQ500 DSG?

According to the link provided the noise has been recognised and aparently service bulletins issued relating to software updates and gearbox mounts but those who have had software updates and gearbox mounts replaced have reported zero or minimal satisfaction.

https://www.skoda-kodiaq-forum.de/index ... /&pageNo=1

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/losraed ... 55632.html

It is obvious to see that VW are doing nothing to address customer concerns but clearly attempting to avoid costly warranty costs relating to this debacle!
Delivered 03.03.2017 - Tiguan R-Line 190ps - Pure White - Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless/Electric Tailgate, Park Assist/RV Camera, Towbar, Prog Steering, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Heated O/Rear Seats, 4 Year Warranty, Service Pack & Bootliner! :D

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 am

GTD184 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:53 pm
It appears that the noise problem has gained momentum now there are decent numbers of Tiguan out in the field.

How much longer can VW deny a problem exists with their DQ500 DSG?

According to the link provided the noise has been recognised and aparently service bulletins issued relating to software updates and gearbox mounts but those who have had software updates and gearbox mounts replaced have reported zero or minimal satisfaction.

https://www.skoda-kodiaq-forum.de/index ... /&pageNo=1

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/losraed ... 55632.html

It is obvious to see that VW are doing nothing to address customer concerns but clearly attempting to avoid costly warranty costs relating to this debacle!
What happened with your legal case with VW ?

GTD184

Post by GTD184 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:45 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 am
What happened with your legal case with VW ?
Unfortunately, still ongoing such is legal disputes :roll: :x Im hopeful of a conclusion within the next 3-6 months depending on how long VW want to drag it out.

My research has unveiled that Skoda have introduced a TSB for a DSG software update to eradicate the noise issue, unfortunately feedback confirms only minimal resolution.

Skoda have also suggested that the gearbox mount might be the cause through gearbox noise resonance. A new gearbox mount part number is available which is being rolled out.

On that basis it appears with so many complaints that VW is finally waking up to the idea that some customers are not happy.
Delivered 03.03.2017 - Tiguan R-Line 190ps - Pure White - Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless/Electric Tailgate, Park Assist/RV Camera, Towbar, Prog Steering, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Heated O/Rear Seats, 4 Year Warranty, Service Pack & Bootliner! :D

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

I have never been totally happy with my DSG, slightly jerky at times (not unusual as they can get caught in the wrong gear sometimes), reasonably smooth gear changes especially from 3rd upwards (1st - 2nd can be a bit lumpy on the odd occasion), and the very slight noise others have mentioned although I have to turn the radio off and listen very carefully to hear it.

However, I have just flown home this morning and while working away I hired a Skoda Octavia with the same 2.0 TDI 150 that I have in my Tiguan and also DSG (don't know if they use the same DQ500 as the Tiguan). This was rather different to my Tiguan, it was so smooth and quiet, a real pleasure to drive. The Octavia doesn't have the auto hold but it does have hill hold and this was also far smoother than my Tiguan when taking off from a standstill.

Maybe newer Tiguan models have been refined, but I have to say the Octavia was a nicer drive than my Tiguan with the same/similar engine & gearbox configuration.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

GTD184

Post by GTD184 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:05 pm

The Skoda you hired would most probably been fitted with a 7 speed DQ200 or DQ380.

I had a Golf GTD with the 6 speed wet DQ250 and it emitted no noise. It was replaced though at 7,000 miles due to snappy gear changes that were pretty voilent. It was fine after that up until 30,000 miles when it was sold.

My experience of the DQ500 in my wife's Tiguan is one of the worst for refinement I have ever driven which has been documented by many other Tiguan owners. This is the same gearbox as fitted in the VW Transporter series, Audi RS3 and RSQ3.

kucyk

Post by kucyk » Fri May 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Just heads up, I had recently replaced the 2nd gear synchro and one of the bearings (not sure if there are more than 1) and the noise is gone now. While 2nd gear synchro replacement was scheduled, the bearing was replaced additionally because (the didn't like what they saw after opening DSG). From what I can see I was actually lucky to have a 2nd gear synchro failure, because VW wouldn't bother about the noise itself :D
Highline 2.0 TDI 150HP DSG

John27

Post by John27 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 am

robang2007 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:15 pm
Hi
Has anyone had any experience of clonking noises coming from the DSG ? I have been reading through this thread which is mentioning 'grating' noises, but this is definitely not that.The car is a 2018 2.0 Tsi R-Line with 2000 miles on the clock. When taking my foot off the accelerator and occasionally when it changes down, there is a clonking noise which seems to be coming from the gearbox and/or it's peripheral parts. I am just out of the dealers who have done a software reset but the noise is still occurring. The technician does not know what is causing the problem but is sure it's not normal.
Any thoughts ?
Rob
Not sure if your problem is the same as mine but I had a 2016 SEL TSI 180PS on which the DSG only lasted 14 miles. The problem was a clonking noise when changing up and down from 2nd to 3rd gear. It sounded like I kept driving over a loose manhole cover. Needless to say, on a brand new car, VW replaced the whole DSG - just took them 9 days as there were no spares in Europe and eventually, they had to remove a car from the production line to give me that one.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation