USB ports / VW CarStick

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
dsaunders70

Re: USB ports / VW CarStick

Post by dsaunders70 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:22 pm

ACS wrote:Unless things changed with MY18 there's only i usb port and that's at the front. Pretty poor these days I know but there you are. I personally use a Huawei WiFi dongle powered from the supply in the boot as discussed in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=622

Here's the link to the dongle then just put a Sim card in and away you go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
I used to have my dongle in the boot, but it caused all sorts of issues with the radio reception. I ended up installing a 2 port usb connector behind the glove box and connected my dashcam and dongle to this. This way its hidden from view.
R-line 150 TDI|White|Keyless entry & auto tailgate|Dynaudio Excite|Side Scan |Swiveling towbar|4th year warranty |4 Year Service Plan (First 2 years Free)

Picked up on Saturday 18th March 2017 and loving it..!

DPStratMan

Post by DPStratMan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi ACS.

I am having connectivity problems with EE, phone and dongle. There is another thread about this.

Just wondered which network you are using as am thinking of trying to stop the EE dongle contract and try one of the other boys, O2 or Vodafone?

Rgds
R-Line, 2.0 TSi, 180 PS, 4 Mo, DSG, Tungsten Silver, side scan, electric tailgate, tyre pressure monitoring, voice

ACS

Post by ACS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:17 pm

DPStratMan wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm
Hi ACS.

I am having connectivity problems with EE, phone and dongle. There is another thread about this.

Just wondered which network you are using as am thinking of trying to stop the EE dongle contract and try one of the other boys, O2 or Vodafone?

Rgds
I'm using Three and no issues. I bought a pay as you go data SIM with 12GB valid for 12 months for about £30

Sometimes CarNet can be a bit slow to load real time traffic data but on the whole very satisfied. Data usage has been quite low so 12GB will be more than enough for me for the year even with reasonable Spotify usage. A car full of kids watching videos would be another matter :roll:
TSI 180 4 Motion SEL DSG in Caribbean Blue, Electric Tailgate and Keyless Entry, Area View & Park Assist, eCall and Security and Service Plus, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Side Scan. MY17 16Jun2017

Utumno

Post by Utumno » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:05 pm

DPStratMan wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm
Hi ACS.

Rgds
We're an EE household almost completely. Doesn't bode well!
SEL 2.0 TDI 150PS 4MOTION DSG, Deep Black, Black Leather, Heated Windscreen, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Phone Charger, Keyless Entry & Electric Tailgate, Debadged, CarStick

yetirider

Post by yetirider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 pm

To be bluntly honest their is nothing much to go online for, its something you play with when you get the car.
If on the vary rare occasion i'm going on a journey with satnav i do connect my phone for the traffic.

Every day i plug my iPhone into the USB using a four inch cable because i always listen to an Apple Music playlist on the way home because I can't stand Steve repetitive Wright in the afternoon.

Also plugging the phone in lets me use Siri to make calls, if you want to use apple maps you can say, 'navigate to home' etc.
Thats if you use an iPhone.

I don't think anyone on here has raved about or used any of the VW online services TBH.
I get far more use from CarPlay

Cheers Phil
SEL 4Motion Tungsten Silver traded for Audi Q2.

Hartside

Post by Hartside » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Must admit I find Car-Net vastly overrated. I've used it three or four times now and there is always ten or so shots at getting it to connect in the first place. I've sent a few online destinations to the car and the annoying thing is that you have to log in each time you want to navigate to one for the first time. Maybe there is an import option to bring them all over at once but if there is I haven't found it.
2.0 TSI SEL 4motion DSG, Indium Grey, reverse camera and park assist
Ordered 13th March, picked on Thursday 8 th June :D

Tom59

Post by Tom59 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:07 am

I've had my Tiguan for almost three weeks now and I must say, I'm getting really fed up with all the faffing to connect to the internet.
I can tether my phone, but this means that I have to search for it a few times before it gets found, then I have to type in a password to connect. Happens like this every single time! Is it possible to just switch on the ignition and magically connect? The phone part of it works automatically with bluetooth, but the personal hotspot is dire!
I Purchased a 3 sim card, to fit in an old 3 dongle that we have in the house. After 1/2 a day messing with it, I eventually got the sim registered.
I plugged it in to the onboard USB port but it's not recognised. I plugged it into the 12v socket, still not recognised.
Do I really have to go down to the VW garage and give them £160 for a Car Stick?
2015 (65 Plate) 2.0 TDi BlueMotion Tech R Line 184 5dr DSG

Chappy4412

Post by Chappy4412 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:21 am

Tom59 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:07 am
I've had my Tiguan for almost three weeks now and I must say, I'm getting really fed up with all the faffing to connect to the internet.
I can tether my phone, but this means that I have to search for it a few times before it gets found, then I have to type in a password to connect. Happens like this every single time! Is it possible to just switch on the ignition and magically connect? The phone part of it works automatically with bluetooth, but the personal hotspot is dire!
I Purchased a 3 sim card, to fit in an old 3 dongle that we have in the house. After 1/2 a day messing with it, I eventually got the sim registered.
I plugged it in to the onboard USB port but it's not recognised. I plugged it into the 12v socket, still not recognised.
Do I really have to go down to the VW garage and give them £160 for a Car Stick?
Is the dongle wifi enabled or is it one that you just put into a laptop/computer as a USB modem? If its the later one I made that mistake at first as the car cannot connect to it, I recently purchased the huawei e8372 and a 3 sim from amazon and it works a treat. Car connects to the Internet within a few seconds.

dougiebrimson

Post by dougiebrimson » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:49 am

I might be something of a luddite, but other than SatNav, why would you need to connect your car to the internet?
R-Line Tech auto.... coming soon! :)

Tom59

Post by Tom59 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 am

Chappy4412 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:21 am
Is the dongle wifi enabled or is it one that you just put into a laptop/computer as a USB modem? If its the later one I made that mistake at first as the car cannot connect to it, I recently purchased the huawei e8372 and a 3 sim from amazon and it works a treat. Car connects to the Internet within a few seconds.
Ker-ching (penny dropping) :oops: I'm afraid that it's just a modem. Now, let's see if I can remember my eBay password......
2015 (65 Plate) 2.0 TDi BlueMotion Tech R Line 184 5dr DSG

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.