Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
kucyk
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Ireland

Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by kucyk » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:25 am

Hey guys,

I’ve recently started experiencing weird noise when I drive forward after reversing on a cold engine. The noise itself is very hard to describe. What happens is that I get into the car in the morning, reverse out of my car spot, stop the car, engage drive, hit the pedal and at around 12km/h I can hear this weird, very short noise, single knock, like something is locking into the place. It’s definitely coming from under the hood and I’m almost sure I can feel it. This makes me to think it’s something to do with the drivetrain - flywhell? This never happens on the warm engine and it doesn’t happen every time on the cold engine. No other symptoms.

I can only assume this will be a painful process to get it diagnosed by the service as it’s really hard to replicate it, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem before and possibly got it fixed?

Thanks!
Highline 2.0 TDI 150HP DSG

User avatar
Essjay
Posts: 2871
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:25 pm
Location: West Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by Essjay » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:39 am

Just a thought here, but you haven’t got automatic door locking enabled have you?. It is an option somewhere (can’t remember where at the ‘mo), and will automatically lock all doors as you reach around 15km/h.
Sounds very much like the sound you’re describing !

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Axel
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by Axel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 am

One other thing to check is whether you have the air conditioning on. When you reverse with the air conditioning on it automatically switches to recirculating, rather than externally drawn air. It's to stop fumes being drawn into the vehicle. When you engage drive and move forward the system flips back to externally drawn air. This process actually produces a soft 'clunk' as the air conditioning clutch engages and disengages.

My daughter has a new Ibiza, which does exactly the same, being a VAG vehicle. The Ibiza has a very noticeable clunk when reversing out of the drive and then moving forward. You can hear it and feel it through the clutch pedal.

Yours might be similar.
Hope this helps.
Axel

kucyk
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by kucyk » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Essjay wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:39 am
Just a thought here, but you haven’t got automatic door locking enabled have you?. It is an option somewhere (can’t remember where at the ‘mo), and will automatically lock all doors as you reach around 15km/h.
Sounds very much like the sound you’re describing !

Steve
It's not that Steve, the sound is similar to the one when the car locks the doors but it’s different, it’s coming from under the hood and I can feel it, it happens once and won’t happen again until I reverse again on cold but that’s not always the case.

Axel wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 am
One other thing to check is whether you have the air conditioning on. When you reverse with the air conditioning on it automatically switches to recirculating, rather than externally drawn air. It's to stop fumes being drawn into the vehicle. When you engage drive and move forward the system flips back to externally drawn air. This process actually produces a soft 'clunk' as the air conditioning clutch engages and disengages.

My daughter has a new Ibiza, which does exactly the same, being a VAG vehicle. The Ibiza has a very noticeable clunk when reversing out of the drive and then moving forward. You can hear it and feel it through the clutch pedal.

Yours might be similar.
Hope this helps.
Axel
I think you nailed it Axel. That could be it. I will turn off the air conditioning next time to see if this is still happening. If it's an air con clutch, it makes sense that I can feel it. I'm just not sure it should be that loud, you can clearly hear it from inside and outside the car. If I confirm that's the case, I will bring it to VW to get it checked.
Highline 2.0 TDI 150HP DSG

Axel
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by Axel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:15 pm

My daughters car is exactly the same. You can hear the noise inside and out. At first I thought it was a ball joint as it sounded loud and you could feel it. I suspect if your noise is the air con clutch then the dealer will say "it's normal." Which it is I suppose, just a bit disconcerting.

Cheers Axel

kucyk
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by kucyk » Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Just update for all concerned, I took the car to the dealer and they established the noise was coming from DSG and decided to replace 2nd gear synchro. As the next gear is "prepared" in advance in DSG, it would make sense why the noise was kicking in a moment before the 2nd gear is engaged. I just don't understand why it was happening only when the outside temperature dropped below 5 degrees or so.
Highline 2.0 TDI 150HP DSG

steve-oxford
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by steve-oxford » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Just wanted to check whether the DSG was confirmed to be the fault. Did a repair solve the problem and stop the noise? I have exactly the same issue and the dealer has just returned the car after changing the second gear synchro. Unfortunately for me, the the momentary grinding noise continues. Dealership are now consulting with VW for guidance. Absolutely agree that you can feel it!! I get it two or three times from cold and the noise reduces each time. If any one has any more thoughts I’d welcome the input.

kucyk
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by kucyk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm

steve-oxford wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:48 pm
Just wanted to check whether the DSG was confirmed to be the fault. Did a repair solve the problem and stop the noise? I have exactly the same issue and the dealer has just returned the car after changing the second gear synchro. Unfortunately for me, the the momentary grinding noise continues. Dealership are now consulting with VW for guidance. Absolutely agree that you can feel it!! I get it two or three times from cold and the noise reduces each time. If any one has any more thoughts I’d welcome the input.
Grinding wasn't too bad in my case but now it's almost gone, I have to listen very carefully to hear it. Note this could change during winter and colder temperatures.

I my case they have replaced the 2nd gear synchro and one of the bearings (not sure if there are more than 1) and the noise is gone now. While 2nd gear synchro replacement was scheduled, the bearing was replaced additionally because (the didn't like what they saw after opening DSG).
Highline 2.0 TDI 150HP DSG

steve-oxford
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by steve-oxford » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 am

Thanks for feeding back. Mine still has the issue and dealerships are wanting to replace the gearbox under warranty which vw are resisting. Other alternative is replacement! There really isn’t much info on the Internet about this topic so I wonder whether the car has simply had a hard life before my ownership started rather than a manufacture or design fault. Fortunately for me, the dealership are understanding and wanting to help. Perhaps not something that gets said often but thumbs up to them!

steve-oxford
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Re: Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing.

Post by steve-oxford » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Describing a sound is very subjective so I thought I’d upload a short video to share the noise I get from the Tiguan when cold. If any one recognises it or gets something similar please add to the thread.


Post Reply