Adaptive cruise control question

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
JohnSais

Adaptive cruise control question

Post by JohnSais » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 am

I have found an annoying niggle in an otherwise perfect system. When using adaptive cruise control and coming up behind a car, which then pulls over to let me pass, the car will match the speed of the car in the inner lane until I have passed it, then accelerates away. This is especially annoying if the car on the inside has to brake, as this can cause my car to brake too! Has anyone else noticed this, and is there any way to overcome it, apart from pulling out into the next lane and putting the other car out of sight of the sensors?
Apart from this the system is incredibly good and makes long trips a whole lot less stressful.

Keithp

Re: Adaptive cruise control question

Post by Keithp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am

I never noticed it with my Golf GTi and so far haven't noticed it on the Tig. The ACC on my new Tig is much better than the Golf, Its a lot smoother and not as harsh breaking when coming to a stop in traffic. Maybe this is a new thing that i haven't noticed yet. I'll have a look.
Indium Grey R-line Tech 230

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:41 am

I would say just override it with the accelerator and once past let it do it's job again.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps

Jeremy_SWE

Post by Jeremy_SWE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

I have noticed it when the car in front is moving off onto the slip road and I start to pass. Sometimes my car will hesitate and slow down. I just override with the accelerator.
1.4tsi 150ps DSG6 4M
Pure white
19" Victoria
Ergo-active seats w.massage
Discover media NAVI
Sign assist
AID
Full keyless+electric tailgate
Tow pack w.camera
Aux-heater w.remote
Heated wheel
Dynaudio
Wireless charger
Side/rear scan
Amb.light pack

Keithp

Post by Keithp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I think i tend to do this anyway, which is why i haven't noticed it
Indium Grey R-line Tech 230

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:27 pm

I have ACC on both my Tig and Passat and yes you have to use the accelerator to override this feature

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
R Line 190 DSG, Tungsten Silver, Vienna Leather, Swivel Towbar, Dynadio Excite, Keyless entry/Start Power Tailgate, Area view park assist. Got it, love it :D :D

PanMan

Post by PanMan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:23 pm

I agree with the others that this is how it works, and I, too, just accelerate.

I also occasionally find the car slowing down when a car in front moves over to the right (UK) to overtake the car in front of it, and the system suddenly sees a car appear in the next lane and brakes.

Clearly, fully autonomous driving has a long way to go, and will probably only ever work when ALL cars are autonomous, and can 'talk' to each other and so predict movement rather than just react. So, not in my lifetime!
31 weeks order to delivery. Tiguan Allspace SEL TDI 240PS Blue Silk; Vienna leather in Titan Black; Area View; Head up display; Park Assist and rear view; Discover Pro; Heated windscreen + Qi charging; Heated steering wheel; Tyre pressure monitor

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 pm

It can do some scary things on its own
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3477&p=40729#p40729
1.4TSI BMT 150 4Motion SE NAV DSG - Indium Grey
2 Year lease through Hub Leasing - Ordered 13/02/18 - Delivered 09/03/18

F2paul

Post by F2paul » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:08 pm

I frequently use this function. It is rare but does happen, that traffic in adjoining lanes cause the car to slow. If it does happen i usually get a display between the dials as to what might happen.
2.0. TDi tuning 296PS , DSG , SEL 4 motion Indium Grey. Collected 31.1.18

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:08 am

I noticed that when my car detects a vehicle in the left lane it is nearly always when both are in a right hand change of direction, a very shallow right hander is the worst, it happened yesterday, a B Double semi in the right lane well into the bend and I was entering the bend and the big red light came on. I instantly nailed the throttle and the warning went away very quickly. As for the vehicle moving over scenario I can't say I have found that to be a problem but that could be influenced by distance settings so a play with them might change things. I have mine set to the shortest possible distance.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.