Is battery charging possible

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
PokeItWithAStick

Is battery charging possible

Post by PokeItWithAStick » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Having had a history of previous cars with battery warnings (maybe too many short journeys), i've gotten used to getting out my CTEK MSX 5.0.

However, having just collected my brand new Allspace, and reading the manual, I read that charging the battery should only be done by a qualified workshop.

This REALLY surprised me as many premium cars on the market (Range Rover etc) offer rebranded CTEK chargers. So, is this overkill by VW and a lame excuse to get you back to the dealer, or would charging the 12V EFB battery do serious damage to it - and possibly void the warrantee?
Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI SEL 2WD. Black, grey leather seating, Dynaudio.

182_blue

Re: Is battery charging possible

Post by 182_blue » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:36 pm

The local VW dealer near me has all the showroom cars connected to Ctek chargers so I guess its a bit of overkill.
Mk2 R Line , DSG 180 petrol

PokeItWithAStick

Post by PokeItWithAStick » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:40 pm

182_blue wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:36 pm
The local VW dealer near me has all the showroom cars connected to Ctek chargers so I guess its a bit of overkill.
Good point.

I guess that then raises the question, should you connect to the positive and negative terminals of the battery, or to the positive and to the chassis's earth point (as was the case with my Octavia)?
Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI SEL 2WD. Black, grey leather seating, Dynaudio.

Breezer

Post by Breezer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 pm

The chassis earth point is easily accessible and easy to hook up, so I'd use that every time. Connect to it last and disconnect first just in case you forget to unplug the charger - less chance of a spark igniting any hydrogen.
SEL 2.0 TSI 4WD DSG
Ruby Red+Area View with Park Assist +DCC +Electric Tailgate & Keyless Entry +Heated Windscreen +Wireless Charging +Tyre Monitor +Leather Seats
Ord: 20/02/17 | Built: 03/04/17 | Landed: 21/04/17 | Rec: 02/05/17

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 pm

I would just use my battery charger and not worry, if it’s a modern charger it will be fine.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 pm

I believe the manual has instructions on where to connect a charger. I think it's to do with the charge detection circuit. Double check before hooking up.

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 pm

I look at this thread in absolute amazement, why in the UK do you need to supplement the alternator output with a battery charger, I have never seen it done in a car show room here but then it is many years sine I worked at a dealer. Is this a thing that all people have to do?
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:55 am

Batteries in showrooms go flat with customer use, so it makes sense to connect something that maintains the battery.

As for charging a SS battery I found with my CX-5 that it never fully charges using my Aldi smart charger, and the dealer had a special expensive charger or quick charging, giving something like 17 volts out...

These batteries cannot be compared to the older ones we use to have fitted.

CNC

Post by CNC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:14 am

Chris wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 pm
I look at this thread in absolute amazement, why in the UK do you need to supplement the alternator output with a battery charger, I have never seen it done in a car show room here but then it is many years sine I worked at a dealer. Is this a thing that all people have to do?
It's become normal for dealers in the UK to leave showroom vehicle lights on all day and also night, it does look good when you drive past in darkness but you can see all the front and rear car LED's on, so they keep them on charge to stop the batteries going flat.

Outside of the showroom perhaps people do too many short journeys so the battery never gets back to full power, plus some have dash cams that are always active even when the ignition is turned off, apart from that I really don't know, it's also a mystery to me.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

CaptainMidnight

Post by CaptainMidnight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 am

..... if you want to be really controversial and divide opinion -

Change your 12v rear boot socket to be permanently powered, then install a little 5w or 10w solar panel on the rear parcel shelf to help trickle charge / maintain the battery ;)

If you don't do much milage or mainly short trips, it can work wonders for the smooth running of the start/stop and electronic handbrake systems which can be a little voltage sensitive.

Through personal experience and that of friends, so glad I've always had an AGM battery installed in my current and previous car - they just seem to be able to handle technology loaded cars better.
2.0 TDI 150 4Motion SEL Mk2 09/16

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.