4WD or 2WD

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
dettol1

Re: 4WD or 2WD

Post by dettol1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 am

One thing I've noticed on my fwd dsg Tiguan is that it tends to spin the wheels when starting from an uphill position. Our polo dsg does the same, so I don't know if it is a fwd or a dsg issue. I'm taking about totally dry roads. Of course traction control kicks in, just it's a bit annoying.

My old Audi Quattro even with worn out tyres didn't spin at all.

Wolfsburger

Post by Wolfsburger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:19 am

[
do Land Rover even sell a car that isn't 4WD it is pretty much their brand selling point.

The real question I would say is if 4WD is so great for safety why do all cars not have it?
[/quote]

1. Auto express (not me) says...
"Can a manufacturer famous for its 4x4 models repeat its success with front-wheel drive? We took an early drive in the Range Rover Evoque 2WD, the cheapest and most efficient model in the range, to find out...
The arrival of two-wheel drive Evoque is a welcome one, especially if fuel economy and CO2 emissions savings are important to you.
...while overall it feels more like a hatchback than an SUV to drive."

There we are ... A cheap and green "Land Rover"

2.. see above. Not cheap, not green. :D

All down to Personal choices, one way or another?
SE Nav, DSG, 4 Motion, Diesel 150, keyless with electric tailgate, after market towbar (Whitter)

CNC

Post by CNC » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 am

dettol1 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 am
One thing I've noticed on my fwd dsg Tiguan is that it tends to spin the wheels when starting from an uphill position. Our polo dsg does the same, so I don't know if it is a fwd or a dsg issue. I'm taking about totally dry roads. Of course traction control kicks in, just it's a bit annoying.

I guess it depends on the gradient of the slope, very steep by the sounds of it. It's not something I've ever had a problem with in any DSG fwd car.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

dettol1

Post by dettol1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am

Wasn't really steep, could be just the roads here in Greece are slippery. Definitely no more than 5% "steepness"

Still Game

Post by Still Game » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:03 am

The same thing happens to me, even sat at a roundabout or lights and I want to get away quick, wet or dry it's the same result

In my quattros I could floor it and away I go, I feel I have to be a good bit more reserved with the throttle in these instances now

Which is kinda shite 😭

Jeremy_SWE

Post by Jeremy_SWE » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:22 am

dettol1 wrote:

If I remember correctly, Quattro is a Torsen AWD which has 50/50 distribution of power to front and rear axles, whereas 4Motion uses Haldex 95% Fwd distribution until AWD is needed.
So 4Motion will probably have a slight delay before the system realises that power has to be distributed to the rear wheels too, resulting in the spin.
1.4tsi 150ps DSG6 4M
Pure white
19" Victoria
Ergo-active seats w.massage
Discover media NAVI
Sign assist
AID
Full keyless+electric tailgate
Tow pack w.camera
Aux-heater w.remote
Heated wheel
Dynaudio
Wireless charger
Side/rear scan
Amb.light pack

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am

Jeremy_SWE wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:22 am
dettol1 wrote:

If I remember correctly, Quattro is a Torsen AWD which has 50/50 distribution of power to front and rear axles, whereas 4Motion uses Haldex 95% Fwd distribution until AWD is needed.
So 4Motion will probably have a slight delay before the system realises that power has to be distributed to the rear wheels too, resulting in the spin.
If you look at the VW website the generation 5 system is described it has 10% to the rears at all times with nearly 100% if required.

dettol1

Post by dettol1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am

Yes but my Tiguan is ONLY FWD, so the rear never kicks in :)

Jeremy_SWE

Post by Jeremy_SWE » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 am

dettol1 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am
Yes but my Tiguan is ONLY FWD, so the rear never kicks in :)
Haha, that would have something to do with it.
But comparing a great AWD system like Quattro, even with worn tyres, isn’t comparable in my opinion.
1.4tsi 150ps DSG6 4M
Pure white
19" Victoria
Discover media NAVI
Sign assist
AID
Tow pack w.camera
Aux-heater w.remote
Heated wheel
Dynaudio
Wireless charger
Side/rear scan
Amb.light pack

Jeremy_SWE

Post by Jeremy_SWE » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:58 am

xtrailman wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am
Jeremy_SWE wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:22 am
dettol1 wrote:

If you look at the VW website the generation 5 system is described it has 10% to the rears at all times with nearly 100% if required.
Ok, cheers.
1.4tsi 150ps DSG6 4M
Pure white
19" Victoria
Discover media NAVI
Sign assist
AID
Tow pack w.camera
Aux-heater w.remote
Heated wheel
Dynaudio
Wireless charger
Side/rear scan
Amb.light pack

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.