Dash cam recommendations

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Hillbilly

Re: Dash cam recommendations

Post by Hillbilly » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:31 am

Po0oley wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:20 pm
When I installed it in my 2017 tig there was no wiring diagram available as it had so many options fitted. The easiest choice was the OBD port, it worked well and that is the only thing connected as I didn't like the VW connect thing

Well now i have posted a pic of the fuse box you will be able to save it for use later. Mine is an Rline with DaP and Sound and still has a few spare slots in the fusebox
You dont need a diagram if you use the spare ones

Po0oley

Post by Po0oley » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 pm

I have just bought the new MY20 tiguan and have gone for the OBD power source again. It's good to have the fuse layout though, thanks. I remember it was a nightmare last time as someone said it's not good to use those jumper things on a safety critical fuse?
No.4 - R-Line Tech 240 BiTDi :D
No.3 - 2017 R-Line 150 White :)
No.2 - 2015 Match 150 Grey :|
No.1 - 2011 Match 140 White :o

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Po0oley wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 pm
I have just bought the new MY20 tiguan and have gone for the OBD power source again. It's good to have the fuse layout though, thanks. I remember it was a nightmare last time as someone said it's not good to use those jumper things on a safety critical fuse?
No you dont put them on fuses like air bags or ABS. Thought that would be just common sense.

Using those is the proper safest way to do it

Maybe they meant the Scotchlocks that you clamp over wires and squeeze them onto them They are the devils spawn

My manual has a list of the normally used fuses all numbered so you cant go wrong if you are careful

If as I said you use the spare fuse slots you cant do any harm as there is nothing on the other side of the slot and so you are merely using it as a power source and dont even need to put the bottom fuse in the addafuse as it isnt powering anything.
The OBD socket in my car is always powered and should you leave anything plugged into t like the OBD Eleven module it will eventually run your battery flat if car is not used for a period

Po0oley

Post by Po0oley » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 pm

The ODB Power block for the blackview only draws power when the ignition is switched on, to use it in parking mode there is a physical switch you need to use.

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Po0oley wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 pm
The ODB Power block for the blackview only draws power when the ignition is switched on, to use it in parking mode there is a physical switch you need to use.
Are you talking about a BlackVIEW or a BLACKVUE because one is a bit of a rubbish camera and the second one is about the most popular one in Australia along with Viofo and Street Guardian

My OBD Eleven remains live when ignition is turned off and car locked

Each of the above cameras have their own parking module which works automatically and can be easily wired into your fuse box which is neater and permanent

Po0oley

Post by Po0oley » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:49 am

Sorry, blackvue is the camera (750 dual). The OBD is permanently live but the blackvue power source is switched so it can be left permanently on the OBD socket.
Agree, hard wire is more permanent but removing this setup from the last Tig took less than 5 minutes, the hardest thing was removing those sticky pads from the windows/camera.
Installation in the new car took less than 30 minutes. Gave myself a chuffty badge for that one!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Po0oley wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:49 am
Sorry, blackvue is the camera (750 dual). The OBD is permanently live but the blackvue power source is switched so it can be left permanently on the OBD socket.
Agree, hard wire is more permanent but removing this setup from the last Tig took less than 5 minutes, the hardest thing was removing those sticky pads from the windows/camera.
Installation in the new car took less than 30 minutes. Gave myself a chuffty badge for that one!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
How did you fit the rear one as it took me longer than that to remove trim and run wires through the wiggle duct into the door and about the same to remove A pillar trim to get the cables behind the airbag ( you did do that I hope) and not along the roof in front of airbag as well. Did mine along floor and up rear quarter

Po0oley

Post by Po0oley » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:15 pm

I have run mine between the door seal and the trim on the inside, once it's under the rubber there was enough gap for it to be concealed. To go around the door pillar it's run tightly just above the airbags so as not to cover them (I.might need them one day) the same goes for the inside of the back qtr panel.

Wildcat

Post by Wildcat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 am

Hi Hillbilly, my fuse panel only had spare mini fuse slots in the top 2 rows (sorry image rotated, so top is to the left) (permanent live I believe) and no spare mini fuse slots in the switched live (see photo below).

20190907_152025.jpg

So I ended up piggy backing off the 7.5A fuses (one from the permanent and one from the switched). I went with the Viofo A129 duo in the end and updated the firmware. It records very nice footage both front and back, but unfortunately it has pretty much killed my radio (both FM and DAB affected), so I'm going to have to re-route the rear cable (currently routed along the top of the head liner on passenger side) to floor level along passenger side to see if that improves things radio wise.
Cheers,
Wildcat
2.0 TDi SWB 150ps 4Motion SEL 6sp man in Atlantic Blue with swivelling towbar MY2019

daesimps

Post by daesimps » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:37 am

Wildcat wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 am
so I'm going to have to re-route the rear cable (currently routed along the top of the head liner on passenger side) to floor level along passenger side to see if that improves things radio wise.
Cheers,
Wildcat
I'm interested if this helps, as I found a thread on Dashcamtalk where people agreed that it's not the cable route causing the issue, but the camera being on the rear screen (which contains the DAB antenna). I'm still waiting for my Tig to be built, but will need to factor this in when she arrives.

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.