More legroom on 2 row sliding the backseat

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
rafareusch

More legroom on 2 row sliding the backseat

Post by rafareusch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Hey guys, I have an 350tsi 7-seat tiguan, here in brazil we do have the 5 seat tiguan too, but both use the long wheel base chassis. So the 5 seat tiguan has way more legroom on the 2 row, because the seat is moved far back than the 7 seat configuration
. From what I looked, both have the same sliding rails, has anyone tried to modify the rail to let the the second row slide all the way back (leaving no legroom on the 3rd row)?
Thanks!

Chris

Re: More legroom on 2 row sliding the backseat

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:22 am

I don't know about Brazil but if I wanted to do that in Australia it would require engineering certification. The short answer to your question is highly doubtful and more likely, no it has not been done.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG

rafareusch

Post by rafareusch » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:04 am

Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:22 am
I don't know about Brazil but if I wanted to do that in Australia it would require engineering certification. The short answer to your question is highly doubtful and more likely, no it has not been done.
I don't mean a structural change, as far as I saw the rails are the same, but with different stopping mechanisms, Im trying to understand how it works. the locking points are also the same. Its a shame that the 2 row cant go all the way back, such a difference between both.

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 am

To clarify because I understand English is not your first language, you want move the stops on the rail further back but leave the rail itself as it is now? One thing you most probably are not aware of is that seat rails in today's cars are highly engineered to behave in certain ways in the event of a major accident and any modification is unwise. Another thing to consider is that you are moving the passengers in the cabin but not moving the air bag restraint system that protects them and you could be placing the passengers outside the ideal range of protection by the air bags or even moving them into a dangerous position and the air bags might injure them. Doing what you propose might not be very wise at all when it is thought about.

rafareusch

Post by rafareusch » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 am

Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 am
To clarify because I understand English is not your first language, you want move the stops on the rail further back but leave the rail itself as it is now? One thing you most probably are not aware of is that seat rails in today's cars are highly engineered to behave in certain ways in the event of a major accident and any modification is unwise. Another thing to consider is that you are moving the passengers in the cabin but not moving the air bag restraint system that protects them and you could be placing the passengers outside the ideal range of protection by the air bags or even moving them into a dangerous position and the air bags might injure them. Doing what you propose might not be very wise at all when it is thought about.
I understand that modifying a car structure is very dangerous, and I do not intend to do that.
From what I can see, both 5 and 7 seaters are exactly the same, they have the same rails, same airbags, same everything, the only thing it changes is the max distance you can slide the 2 row seat back ( I suspect its a safety feature to don't let the third row passenger legs get crushed by the second row seat sliding backwards). I do not intend not change anything structurally, just wanted to know if there was a safe and easy way to get more legroom on the 2 row, like removing the tray tables. Doesn't look like it is.

Thanks guys for the heads up
And no, English is not my first language, I just hope is not that bad :D

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 am

I understand what you propose but moving the passengers and having to leave the air bag system in its original place moves the passenger from the premium protection position to outside that area. The air bags are meant to provide maximum protection for that row of seats in its defined range of adjustment. As I said above it may even place that row in danger from the air bags themselves when they activate because that is a huge change of position for that seat.

rafareusch

Post by rafareusch » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:05 am

Yeah, I say move back I mean move back to the normal 5 seat configuration. But I see your point.

mehmetTR

Post by mehmetTR » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 am
He is not interested in those security issues and those are irrelevant at this point. If it can be done, then he may think about it later by himself.

mehmetTR

Post by mehmetTR » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 am
I understand what you propose but moving the passengers and having to leave the air bag system in its original place moves the passenger from the premium protection position to outside that area. The air bags are meant to provide maximum protection for that row of seats in its defined range of adjustment. As I said above it may even place that row in danger from the air bags themselves when they activate because that is a huge change of position for that seat.
When we change position of seats in european version 5 seater. Do airbags understand where the seats are? No.

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 pm

Do you move the seats the thick end of three feet, No.

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.