Confusing specification for winter tyres

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
amv

Confusing specification for winter tyres

Post by amv » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:18 am

Hello all,

I have got tiguan ordered somwehre in July and it s being made right next week, I am hoping to ger delivery in novermber Here in Sweden.

I didnät purchase the winter tyres which are must. so Keep looking up the wheels+tyres on these online wistes for purchasing

they show me ET as 38 , BUT
site

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswagen/tiguan/2019/

says my ET is 43 for Volkswagen Tiguan 2019 2.0TSi 190.

which ET is it does anybody know?? I would rather use direct wheels+tyres than the rings to fit.

Thanks

Axel

Re: Confusing specification for winter tyres

Post by Axel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:39 am

Hi,
It depends on the size of wheel that you are intending to use for the winter. Here is a link to the vw winter wheel accessories catalogue:

http://www.volkswagen-accessories.com/c ... 017_18.pdf

In that document it states that 17 inch winter wheels have an et 38, and the 18 and 19 inch winter wheels have an et of 43. Personally I'd be looking at the 17 inch wheel for winter with the narrower tyre. Much better at 'cutting through' snow and ice and less susceptible to skidding than the larger, lower profile wheel/tyre combination.

Hope that helps.
Cheers Axel

amv

Post by amv » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:53 am

you mean instead of 235 I should look for 215 profile ? I thought that wider tyre will give more grip , hmm interesting.

Axel

Post by Axel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi amv,
Wider tyres don't give more grip in icy, slushy and snowy conditions. The wider width makes them more susceptible to aquaplaning and skating. If you look at rally cars on winter stages their tyres are narrower than dry tarmac stages. The concept is that the narrower tyre excerpts more specific point pressure, hence 'cutting through' the slush, ice more effectively. A wider tyre displaces that pressure more and as such has less point downforce and so is more prone to skating. Obviously the studs in the ice tyres make a big difference also in rallying, but even without studs the theory remains the same,.

On the Tiguan I think the 215x65x17 is the optimal winter tyre. It has the best width to handle ice and snow, a bigger sidewall for comfort and to protect the rim against pot hole and kerb damage and they are quite a bit cheaper than 18 or 19 inch tyres. In winter it's best to focus on tyre performance rather tha looks in my opinion.

Cheers Axel

FranKeRS

Post by FranKeRS » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:36 am

Axel wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:39 am
Here is a link to the vw winter wheel accessories catalogue:

http://www.volkswagen-accessories.com/c ... 017_18.pdf

Just to compare to the prices in Norway for original winter wheels. Are the prices in this catalogue for one wheel, or for a set of four?

I am in the process of ordering an Allspace, and my dealer gave me a price of around the equivalent of €4500 for 18" Sebring with studded tires..
FranKeRS

2013 Passat Alltrack 170TDi DSG, 2013 Amarok SC Man TDi

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.