Service intervals

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
cardriver29

Service intervals

Post by cardriver29 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 pm

I got one of those VIN decodes for my VW that shows all the codes and what they mean.

In it is a code Q16 = Service indicator 30000Km or 2 Year variable.

But the car seems to indicate every year early december and seems to be the anniversary of the previous owners service back in Dec 2017

Do I duly had a service in Dec 2018.

Now its popped up again saying I need a service in 800 miles.

I just had my first MOT in september when they said the car needed brake and Haldex oil change.

Its only been a year since the last service and only 9000 miles.

VW ipswich have already phoned my 3 times trying to get me to book in for service.

Whats is the norm on service intervals?
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI. 66 Plate. White. Vienna Leather. Storm grey. DSG. Side scan, Park assist with Area view, TPMS, DCC, Towbar, Electric tailgate, Voice, Dynaudio. Headlight washers. Heated steering wheel. HUD

cardriver29

Re: Service intervals

Post by cardriver29 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Ah ok 1year or 10000 whichever is soonest
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI. 66 Plate. White. Vienna Leather. Storm grey. DSG. Side scan, Park assist with Area view, TPMS, DCC, Towbar, Electric tailgate, Voice, Dynaudio. Headlight washers. Heated steering wheel. HUD

CNC

Post by CNC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:37 pm

All new VW's are delivered to the UK set to 30,000km service intervals (otherwise known as variable servicing). If you decide an annual service suits your driving style better you can ask your dealer to change it for you, this is then 15,000km/12 months.
It seems your Tiguan has been changed to fixed servicing intervals at the request of the original owner.
Sounds like it's going to be an expensive Christmas with a service, brake fluid and haldex oil change all in one.
While they are changing the haldex oil ask them to clean the gauze strainer, this is not part of the usual service or haldex oil change and they will charge you for it but if it is not done it can lead to failure of the haldex system, it has been discussed here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/h ... an.379347/
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

micks_address

Post by micks_address » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 pm

So this confuses me a bit. I'm getting 1.5 petrol dsg in march. My Octavia diesel had to be serviced every 15k km. I do about 26k km per year. So was two services almost every 14 months... Can I do one service per year now?

CNC

Post by CNC » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:14 pm

micks_address wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 pm
So this confuses me a bit. I'm getting 1.5 petrol dsg in march. My Octavia diesel had to be serviced every 15k km. I do about 26k km per year. So was two services almost every 14 months... Can I do one service per year now?
One service per year will be fine provided your annual 26km is not all short journeys/urban driving with lots of stop/start etc, in which case you are better off with the 15km service intervals.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Rory

Post by Rory » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:11 pm

As said above, they all come set to longlife servicing. The salesman should discus it with you but that's never happened in my experience of multiple VAG cars.

If it's a private sale (inc PCP) they normally change them to fixed interval at PDI. Most private buyers will take the 2 service VW service plan as it's generally given free or discounted. That plan demands fixed interval servicing.

If the car is leased it should be left on longlife servicing. If you get the VWFS service and maint added to the lease this will assume longlife service - hence it's often a surprisingly low price as a 3yr 30K mile lease car should only need one service on longlife.

That said, our (PCP'd) Tiguan was left on variable - it's still been serviced every year (it only does 6K/yr) and it was only this year, at its 4th service, that they switched it to fixed interval. I had them change it back as I might start using it for work and its mileage will go up a lot.
near Chester, UK
Sept 2015 Match 150PS TDI 4Motion DSG (hers) - thinking of a mk2, maybe an Allspace, for him. :)
Added Sept 2018 SEAT Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi 2WD manual to the family 'fleet'.

micks_address

Post by micks_address » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm on PCP with service pack so I'll be forced to 15k km services?

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:58 pm

I recently asked my dealer what the service situation was.

I do less than 7k a year and i have been told i can go for the 2 year/14K mile service interval which i have done, i also bought a PCP 2 service package.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

CNC

Post by CNC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm

xtrailman wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:58 pm
I recently asked my dealer what the service situation was.

I do less than 7k a year and i have been told i can go for the 2 year/14K mile service interval which i have done, i also bought a PCP 2 service package.
I don't think I've heard of that before, it's always been either fixed 15000km/1 year or flexible, no mention of a 2 year service interval at all. This is taken from my owners manual:

Rory

Post by Rory » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:57 pm

CNC wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm
I don't think I've heard of that before, it's always been either fixed 15000km/1 year or flexible, no mention of a 2 year service interval at all. This is taken from my owners manual:
On longlife servicing the absolute maximum it will go is 30,000kms or 2yrs. In practice it'll usually ask for a service some time before this, but it depends on type of use. With lots of short journeys it can come up very early, but I've seen comments that dealers will reset the service indicator if this happens, which is a bit dodgy. Apparently Audi dealers won't. I don't think VW dealers understand longlife servicing.

On the service plan, the docs explicity say the services must be done annually, but there's someone on the Ateca forum who is adamant he's been told it's just 2 services and they can be done anytime. Issue with that is the annual and longlife services are different, but as said earlier, if the dealers don't understand what they're doing then they may just do the same service regardless.
near Chester, UK
Sept 2015 Match 150PS TDI 4Motion DSG (hers) - thinking of a mk2, maybe an Allspace, for him. :)
Added Sept 2018 SEAT Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi 2WD manual to the family 'fleet'.