Average MPG consumption values

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Marner
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm
Location: East Midlands

Average MPG consumption values

Post by Marner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Just got my 2.0 TDI 190 Tiguan, I've noticed that on journeys so far it will indicate a rather low average MPG that seems to be stubbornly hard to increase despite the fact that on the live consumption view I can see that the MPG shown is actually much higher.

For example: 30 mile trip this morning with a mixture of driving but mostly 50-70mph constant on ACC. Shows around 28mpg average despite the current MPG showing mostly no lower than mid 30's-45 MPG while cruising.

Anyone else noticed this?
2019 Tiguan r-line 2.0 TDI 190 4Motion DSG


Silverage
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by Silverage » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:10 pm

Bloody hell 28mpg from a TDi on a run. I’m doing better (not much, but better) than that with my 230 TSi. There’s something wrong there.


scrounger
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by scrounger » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Mine's been a bit hit and miss as well but I work mainly on what I get per tank and it stays steady at around 470.

I'm relatively happy with that as it's a big heavy car and my old 120d auto was giving me 500 miles from a tank.
Tiguan R-Line Tech 190 DSG 4Motion in White


Marner
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm
Location: East Midlands

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by Marner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Silverage wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:10 pm
Bloody hell 28mpg from a TDi on a run. I’m doing better (not much, but better) than that with my 230 TSi. There’s something wrong there.
Yeah! Theres no way its actually doing 28mpg. I can watch the current MPG readout and see its cruising along at well above 28mpg. It was easily in the 40's on the motorway but the average doesn't want to climb.

Not sure what's happening with that. The long term shows 41mpg as the average from the prior owner too.
2019 Tiguan r-line 2.0 TDI 190 4Motion DSG


CNC
Posts: 1512
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by CNC » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Upon checking mine it reads near enough 1.5mpg better than it does in reality so mine's not too far out.
Also remember the average mpg will drop in the colder months then increase as the weather gets better towards next summer.
It doesn't take too much slow stop/start driving to make a considerable drop in the average either, there is a lot to take in to consideration.
The only way to tell how accurate the mpg readout is is to do a few brim to brim checks. It may be reading fairly accurately or it might not, a check at the pump is the only way to tell for sure.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged


Marner
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm
Location: East Midlands

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by Marner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:48 pm

scrounger wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 pm
Mine's been a bit hit and miss as well but I work mainly on what I get per tank and it stays steady at around 470.

I'm relatively happy with that as it's a big heavy car and my old 120d auto was giving me 500 miles from a tank.
It's the first tank through it so far so I'll see what I get and work it out backwards for what I put it. I'm happy with anything over 32mpg!

Come from a 2017 Fiesta ST200 and that averaged roughly 32mpg. Loving the car so far though, nice to be in comfort and feel the better quality of manufacture. Dont think I could go back to a car that wasnt automatic and didn't have ACC either :lol:
2019 Tiguan r-line 2.0 TDI 190 4Motion DSG


CNC
Posts: 1512
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by CNC » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Marner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm
Just got my 2.0 TDI 190 Tiguan, I've noticed that on journeys so far it will indicate a rather low average MPG that seems to be stubbornly hard to increase despite the fact that on the live consumption view I can see that the MPG shown is actually much higher.

For example: 30 mile trip this morning with a mixture of driving but mostly 50-70mph constant on ACC. Shows around 28mpg average despite the current MPG showing mostly no lower than mid 30's-45 MPG while cruising.

Anyone else noticed this?
Did you happen to notice your average speed for this 30 mile journey? My line of thought is anything under say 30mph average is quite a lot of urban driving so it will never be too good in that situation. I usually average 40mph+, but my driving style will be different to everyone else's.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged


Marner
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm
Location: East Midlands

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by Marner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:58 pm

CNC wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm
Marner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm
Just got my 2.0 TDI 190 Tiguan, I've noticed that on journeys so far it will indicate a rather low average MPG that seems to be stubbornly hard to increase despite the fact that on the live consumption view I can see that the MPG shown is actually much higher.

For example: 30 mile trip this morning with a mixture of driving but mostly 50-70mph constant on ACC. Shows around 28mpg average despite the current MPG showing mostly no lower than mid 30's-45 MPG while cruising.

Anyone else noticed this?
Did you happen to notice your average speed for this 30 mile journey?
Didn't happen to take note of that, I'll try to remember on the way home to take a picture of the summary at the end
2019 Tiguan r-line 2.0 TDI 190 4Motion DSG


xtrailman
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by xtrailman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:29 pm

These engines do not like cold temperatures. Stop start driving or heavy throttle usage.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.


Marner
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm
Location: East Midlands

Re: Average MPG consumption values

Post by Marner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:42 pm

CNC wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm
Marner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm
Just got my 2.0 TDI 190 Tiguan, I've noticed that on journeys so far it will indicate a rather low average MPG that seems to be stubbornly hard to increase despite the fact that on the live consumption view I can see that the MPG shown is actually much higher.

For example: 30 mile trip this morning with a mixture of driving but mostly 50-70mph constant on ACC. Shows around 28mpg average despite the current MPG showing mostly no lower than mid 30's-45 MPG while cruising.

Anyone else noticed this?
Did you happen to notice your average speed for this 30 mile journey? My line of thought is anything under say 30mph average is quite a lot of urban driving so it will never be too good in that situation. I usually average 40mph+, but my driving style will be different to everyone else's.
Just taken a look. The route it 34 miles in total and just over 22 of those miles are on roads that are constant 50 or 70mph sections, so mostly cruise control.

12 of those miles are unbroken 70mph down the A38.

So most of the journey is at a constant pace and around 10 miles of less constant travel. 4 miles from the A38 to Derby city centre and the last 6 miles are made of the hops between a fair few traffic light junctions on a speed checked 50mph section.

Fairly mixed overall
2019 Tiguan r-line 2.0 TDI 190 4Motion DSG


Post Reply

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”


VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.