Heating The Car Up before a trip

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Papalazarou

Heating The Car Up before a trip

Post by Papalazarou » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:11 am

Hi,

I have been resorting to going out and putting the car engine on, with the max a/c, wing mirror heaters and the chair heaters on and then coming back in the house, with the key.

Am I right in thinking I cannot lock the car with the engine running, but at the same time no one can drive off in it, without the key inside the car?

It's on my drive with nothing in it, so there's nothing to be stolen from it, except a pram in the boot. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in terms of people stealing the actual car ( however unlikely that would be).
19-Plate 1.5 Tiguan R-Line TECH EVO: Indium Grey / Leather / NavPro & DynAudio / TPMS / Debadged
Lead time from March19 was 3 months. Collected June19.

Russboy

Re: Heating The Car Up before a trip

Post by Russboy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:13 am

Papalazarou wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:11 am
Hi,

I have been resorting to going out and putting the car engine on, with the max a/c, wing mirror heaters and the chair heaters on and then coming back in the house, with the key.

Am I right in thinking I cannot lock the car with the engine running, but at the same time no one can drive off in it, without the key inside the car?

It's on my drive with nothing in it, so there's nothing to be stolen from it, except a pram in the boot. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in terms of people stealing the actual car ( however unlikely that would be).
Someone can drive off if they haven't got the key, my wife proved that when she dropped me off at the shops and the key remained in my pocket. When she parked up she wouldn't have been able to restart the car as that's when the no key becomes an issue.

Using Carista I've switched on the buttons on the keyfob working when the ignition is on, allowing me to lock the car whilst it is running, however that's on my drive way, that would be illegal o the public highway.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display and Swivelling Tow Bar

Still Game

Post by Still Game » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Yeah I’ll second that, I’ve did that for the past few days with it being absolutely frozen up here

It works a treat and well worth forking out the money for Carista

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:57 pm

Worrying that I've just left the car unlocked the whole time thinking it couldn't be driven off!!

So.... if we were going on a long trip, I could start the car, dash up stairs for something i've forgotten, leave the car key on the side, and drive hours away and not be able to start the car? You'd think it would alert that the key isn't in the car at some point?
19-Plate 1.5 Tiguan R-Line TECH EVO: Indium Grey / Leather / NavPro & DynAudio / TPMS / Debadged

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 pm

I've just bought Carista dongle from Amazon. (30% off aparently)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ ... -insta5-21

Does the key fob thing work for free or would I need a subscription?

Gadgetsearcher

Post by Gadgetsearcher » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm

What is Carista please

AlanH

Post by AlanH » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:10 pm

be interesting to know what would happen if it got broken into with engine running and stolen. Pretty sure insurance would wash their hands of it. Shame there isn't a second heater which can be turned on separately like some other cars have
White R-Line 150 SWB DSG 4Motion
Ordered First week of April
First went missing and still is so put on different order
Build week Confirmed 10th Sept
Arrived at Dealers
Docs Signed awaiting delivery date

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Additional question. Does Carista allow to disable the car from moving if the key isn't inside the car?

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Papalazarou wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 pm
I've just bought Carista dongle from Amazon. (30% off aparently)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ ... -insta5-21

Does the key fob thing work for free or would I need a subscription?
Need a subscription, about £30 a year, although normally they give you 1 month for free when you buy their dongle.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display and Swivelling Tow Bar

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Papalazarou wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 pm
Additional question. Does Carista allow to disable the car from moving if the key isn't inside the car?
Not that I know of. My wife was able to change gear from park to drive when I go out of the car with the key in my pocket.

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.