Heating The Car Up before a trip

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
CNC

Re: Heating The Car Up before a trip

Post by CNC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 am

SGreen679 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 pm
I don’t seem to have this option in any of the menus. How do I get it?
On the lower control panel where you have the 3 dials, left/right to adjust the temperature, on the middle dial at the bottom press 'Menu'. On the first screen you can adjust the temperature instead of using the rotary dials and also alter the air conditioning rate by touching the option that says something like soft/medium/high near the top right of the screen (I can't remember the exact words but there is a picture of a fan), then at the bottom of this screen press 'Settings' and you should see the screen I posted above.
On the first screen after pressing the 'Menu' button it also gives you the option to lock/unlock the rear climate controls setting.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

SGreen679

Post by SGreen679 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:57 am

CNC wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 am
SGreen679 wrote:
On the lower control panel where you have the 3 dials, left/right to adjust the temperature, on the middle dial at the bottom press 'Menu'. On the first screen you can adjust the temperature instead of using the rotary dials and also alter the air conditioning rate by touching the option that says something like soft/medium/high near the top right of the screen (I can't remember the exact words but there is a picture of a fan), then at the bottom of this screen press 'Settings' and you should see the screen I posted above.
On the first screen after pressing the 'Menu' button it also gives you the option to lock/unlock the rear climate controls setting.
Thanks CNC. Looking at your instructions I have been looking in the right place but it isn’t there. I only have something for the recirculation, nothing underneath it at all. I wonder if it has changed on the MY20 models.
Tiguan Rline Tech, 4Motion, DSG, 150TDi, White, Side Scan, H/L Washers, Tow Bar, with Ghost

Ordered 7 June 19, delivered 18 Oct 19

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:07 am

SGreen679 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:57 am
CNC wrote:
SGreen679 wrote:
Thanks CNC. Looking at your instructions I have been looking in the right place but it isn’t there. I only have something for the recirculation, nothing underneath it at all. I wonder if it has changed on the MY20 models.
That's the first time that I know of where the option is not available on a diesel Tiguan. Maybe it has been deleted completely, or perhaps it works automatically on newer cars and you can't turn it off. Does your car give heat from the air vents pretty quickly on cold mornings?.

Do you have the option of altering the fan settings on the first 'menu' screen?

Any other 2020MY owners out there had a look in the menu options?
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:32 am

As our fellow member Rory said previously it seems the 'supplementary' heater is using the cylinder head coolant plus an additional coolant pump to generate the cabin heat quickly. I suspect the same coolant and pump are used for the 'Rest' function.

Here is a link to the current EA288 diesel engines http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

If you do a search on this document for 'V488 Heater Support Pump' it shows it in a diagram, and the following pages then explain how it works.

There is a valve that blocks off the cylinder head coolant which is then not circulated, so the water in the cylinder head heats up very quickly, this water is then pumped around the internal heater to warm the cabin quickly. Once the water gets to a certain temperature the valve opens and the coolant is then cooled via the radiator in the usual manner using another coolant pump.

Some petrol vehicles also have the supplementary heater, certainly on a Skoda 1.5 TSI as mentioned here about the fourth post down https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... ry-heater/

JaiCee

Post by JaiCee » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:11 am

AlanH wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:10 pm
be interesting to know what would happen if it got broken into with engine running and stolen. Pretty sure insurance would wash their hands of it. Shame there isn't a second heater which can be turned on separately like some other cars have
You would still have the keys. Who's to know that it was started when it was stolen?

Rory

Post by Rory » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am

CNC wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:07 am
That's the first time that I know of where the option is not available on a diesel Tiguan. Maybe it has been deleted completely, or perhaps it works automatically on newer cars and you can't turn it off. Does your car give heat from the air vents pretty quickly on cold mornings?.
I wonder if it's showing but shouldn't be there? It's interesting that the Ateca manual (which is the same car after all) says it's only there if the car has auxiliary heating.

Having said that, I've seeen comments (I think on a Skoda forum) saying it's there on a 1.5 petrol. Again, could be it shouldn't be there.

Does it make any difference in your car if you untick it?
near Chester, UK
Sept 2015 Match 150PS TDI 4Motion DSG (hers) - thinking of a mk2, maybe an Allspace, for him. :)
Added Sept 2018 SEAT Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi 2WD manual to the family 'fleet'.

SGreen679

Post by SGreen679 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 am

CNC wrote:
SGreen679 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:57 am
CNC wrote:

Do you have the option of altering the fan settings on the first 'menu' screen?

Any other 2020MY owners out there had a look in the menu options?
Just double checked and I am in the right place and the top option is there with nothing else underneath. Will have a check for the hot air on a cold morning.

Edit. Just been sat outside in the car. It’s 6degrees outside and I turned on the windscreen blower using the button (left hanndside top section). Sat there for 2mins and just cold air was coming out.

Just cold air after 5mins
Last edited by SGreen679 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiguan Rline Tech, 4Motion, DSG, 150TDi, White, Side Scan, H/L Washers, Tow Bar, with Ghost

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:48 am

Rory wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am
CNC wrote:
I wonder if it's showing but shouldn't be there? It's interesting that the Ateca manual (which is the same car after all) says it's only there if the car has auxiliary heating.

Having said that, I've seeen comments (I think on a Skoda forum) saying it's there on a 1.5 petrol. Again, could be it shouldn't be there.

Does it make any difference in your car if you untick it?
I've never unchecked the box to try. All I know is it does produce heat very quickly on a cold morning so it must be there and working.
I posted a link above from someone who says its on their Skoda 1.5 TSI.

SGreen679

Post by SGreen679 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am

CNC do you have the “Rest” button next to your fan speed dial?

MacBeth

Post by MacBeth » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm

No option for auxiliary heater on my 150 TDi.
2020 Tiguan R-Line Tech 150 TDi 4Motion DSG & leather, Indium Grey. Ordered 10/06/19, Delivered 18/11/19

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.