Shattering Sunroofs

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
John27

Re: Shattering Sunroofs

Post by John27 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm

I don't know if it still the case but there used to be a clear protective film that could be applied to glass that in the event of the glass breaking, the film kept all the bits of glass together. I have seen it used a number of times in the past on internal doors in houses that are largely made up of glass panels where the owner had young children. Glass back then was very thin and if broken, formed jagged pieces. Of course, now most internal glass is safely glass so this product may not still be around but if it is, I assume if placed on the inside of the pano-roof glass, in the event it does shatter, it should protect the people below and I would have thought that it would be largely invisible otherwise? Might be an option for those who are concerned?
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

majaem1

Post by majaem1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi,

I appreciate your time and suggestion of the film but do you think you should pay £37k for a premium Tiguan R line car and then have to put film on the underside of the panoramic sunroof incase it shatters? Would you really buy a car if you had to do this?
If anything VW should apply it so it can say to buyers that it's an extra safety feature of the car.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

John27

Post by John27 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

I have paid about £37k for a premium R-Line car and if I knew the pano-roof was likely to shatter and that I would have to install this film then I would not have proceeded with the purchase - I agree it is not reasonable to do that. However, a lot of people are in the same position as me. We didn't know about this problem when we bought our car and given VW apparently don't acknowledge there is a problem, I was merely suggesting this is one thing that could possibly be done to alleviate concerns for those who are worried. I am not suggesting this is an acceptable solution.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Can we get some perspective here?

How many Tiguan owners with the pano roof on here? Hundreds?

How many of us have had a roof shatter for no apparent reason?

None?
Silver R Line Tech 230...now gone.........current car a BMW M135i X Drive

majaem1

Post by majaem1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:25 pm

How do you know theres non? If people just pay for the new sunroof, as VW warranty wont, and then don't do anything or say anything how do we as consumers know about it. We don't but by me highlighting the issue we have had it may get others to say something. That's why I've asked for people to get in touch.
How do we also know that your not from VW trying to stop my request for othets by coming on this thread? We could call it Shattergate!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

majaem1

Post by majaem1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:32 pm

John27.
Yes i agree and as one person put it VW would be committing legal suicide if they openly accepted there was a problem.
My advice is to keep the curtain closed or indeed apply the film then you know.
Ill get the photos of our sunroof put up which shows part of the sunroof in a popped up position as though it blew outwards and then once the glass had broken gravity dragged it into the car.

The photos tell it better than me.

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:50 pm

majaem1 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:25 pm
How do you know theres non? If people just pay for the new sunroof, as VW warranty wont, and then don't do anything or say anything how do we as consumers know about it. We don't but by me highlighting the issue we have had it may get others to say something. That's why I've asked for people to get in touch.
How do we also know that your not from VW trying to stop my request for othets by coming on this thread? We could call it Shattergate!!
Mate, you really, really need to chill a bit.

Believe me, if users on this Forum had suffered shattered pano roofs, we would have heard.

Again, get a bit of perspective.

Andy1832

Post by Andy1832 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Would have thought there is sufficient consumer protection legislation to enable you to reject and return the vehicle. Check out the Which? website:-https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... rights-act

e.g. If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

You're entitled to a full or partial refund instead of a repair or replacement if any of the following are true:

the cost of the repair or replacement is disproportionate to the value of the goods or digital content
a repair or replacement is impossible
a repair or replacement would cause you significant inconvenience
the repair would take an unreasonably long amount of time.
If a repair or replacement is not possible, or the attempt at repair fails, or the first replacement also turns out to be defective, you have a further right to receive a refund of up to 100% of the price you paid, or to reject the goods for a full refund.

If you don't want a refund and still want your product repaired or replaced, you have the right to request that the retailer makes further attempts at a repair or replacement.

Use our step-by-step guide if you want to ask a retailer to repair or replace something you've bought that subsequently develops a fault.
Match 1.5 TSI 150 DSG Winter pack also T5 Transporter 140 Highline Kombi Camper.
Previously Mk 4 Golf TDI Estate, New Beetle Cabriolet TDI , Golf Plus TDI, Mk 7.5 Golf GT Estate 1.5 150 TSI DSG

majaem1

Post by majaem1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Ive been in touch with the purchasing dealer, Arnold Clark, who have stated that as the car is over six months old the onus is on the vehicle owner to prove there is/was a fault. When VW removed the sunroof originally all the glass fell out so its now quite difficult to prove there was a fault and all the while VW claim we are lying and that the sunroof could only be smashed due to an impact as their sunroofs dont shatter.
The consumer credit act applies when goods are faulty. Proving such will be difficult and costly as VW know. Arnold Clark and VW have in house legal departments whereas the working man would need to seek legal advice which would end up being more costly than the sunroof which is why there is a class action suit in America so its not just one person fighting VW its a group.

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Im assuming that because you are on this forum, you have a new style, mk2 Tiguan?

Its just that the class action in the USA covers all models of VW, but not a single mk2 Tiguan, just a few mk1s......

Like I said, if this was a mk2 issue, we would know about it.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to struggle to get VW to pay up with no history of this on the mk2.