Paint problem with new car.

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
Scrancat

Paint problem with new car.

Post by Scrancat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi.
New to this forum and just picked up a new (to me - pre reg.) Tiguan last week.
All good but noticed a few marks in the paintwork and I’m a bit uncertain as to what they are.
I’m taking the car back for inspection on Saturday but was wondering if anybody here has any idea what the issue is or maybe had previous experience with this.
I’m hoping the marks can get polished out and it’s not a big job but there are a few areas affected.
At first thought it was adhesive marks from sale stickers but doesn’t seem to be any residue on the paint.
I’ll attach some images.
Cheers.
James.

FEE09DD6-424C-4C0D-AA5E-8DEB79401BDD.jpeg

E8AA9A71-575A-441C-9842-C44CB10E26E8.jpeg

EE9FBF32-5B25-4E97-9A00-A67E83CFB921.jpeg

F7BC541F-ED14-4A78-A2A8-9C09AB70212D.jpeg

9B9A92DD-684F-4AB1-A1FB-5E2EFF711D22.jpeg

Essjay

Re: Paint problem with new car.

Post by Essjay » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm

I may be wrong, but those marks look like they’ve been left over from the protective covering that protects the paintwork during delivery, and which is removed by the dealer prior to cleaning the car ready for PDI. It looks like they’ve just not cleaned off any residue properly.
I would take it back and show the dealer and get them to explain. I’m sure it will be removable, but whether you should allow them to do it is another point entirely.
I would be looking at getting the car polished professionally by someone who actually knows how to do it!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

ufo

Post by ufo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Try some tar remover (Autoglym) or similar if you like - it does look like adhesive covering as Essjay has said. Also, I think the valeters have done a really bad job anyway as I can see swirl marks on the paint. Get some compensation and get it detailed!

Scrancat

Post by Scrancat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully that’s all it is.
Not got the energy for another battle with another dealer! The car is pre reg and a year old but doesn’t look like damage from external influences. First thought was adhesive but I’m surprised by how smooth the finish is and the lack of residue. Hoping it’s not some kind of breakdown between the top coat and a base layer.
Anyway thanks for the encouraging words as I’m maybe a bit to cynical and negative when I come across problems!
Cheers again.
James.

182_blue

Post by 182_blue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:41 pm

Looks like something that will polish out, that said you can see the swirl marks pass through the marks which does worry me slightly.

It is a second hand car in theory, these are things you check out before buying it tbh, what was the reason the car is a year old and pre reg?, why was it sat so long?
Mk2 R Line , DSG 180 petrol

MacBeth

Post by MacBeth » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Essjay wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm
I may be wrong, but those marks look like they’ve been left over from the protective covering that protects the paintwork during delivery, and which is removed by the dealer prior to cleaning the car ready for PDI. It looks like they’ve just not cleaned off any residue properly.
I would take it back and show the dealer and get them to explain. I’m sure it will be removable, but whether you should allow them to do it is another point entirely.
I would be looking at getting the car polished professionally by someone who actually knows how to do it!

Steve
+1
MY2020 Indium Grey Tiguan R-Line Tech 150 TDi 4Motion DSG & leather.

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:52 am

I believe the car has a 3 years warranty for paint defects so the dealer will sort it for you.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

Scrancat

Post by Scrancat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:51 am

Dealers opinion was also that it was marks from the protective layer. After much discussion and cancelled appointments the car has now been in for two days for repair.
Received a phone call tonight to be told the marks are still present and it will have to go back in for a wet sand and polish.
Can’t understand what they’ve been doing for two days as I thought the whole point of it going in was for this procedure?
Starting to feel there’s delaying tactics going on here for some reason. Perhaps to take me to a certain time after purchase so I have less rights?
Anyway , now that I’m completely paranoid, does anyone have any advice regarding the sand and polish? Is there anything I should watch out for either immediately after or in the future.
With regards to buying the car there were a lot of the same model available pre-reg with only a few miles on the clock. The car when I first looked at it was wet - the marks are only visible when dry. On collection it was dark as the pick up was delayed (deliberately?) and had just been valeted so was wet again.
I phoned the dealer upon noticing the marks and from them I’ve been bumped time and time again although they insist the work will be carried out to satisfaction the next time.
Anybody think I should give them one more chance then escalate the complaint?

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 am

I'd give them a chance to sort the paint one last time. if they fail to deliver i would reject the car.
Puts a bad taste in your mouth when such a huge investment is marred by the defect and the behaviour of the dealer.
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

MacBeth

Post by MacBeth » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Scrancat, as has been asked previously - what was the reason the car is a year old and pre reg?, why was it sat so long? how many miles has it got?
When looking for a test drive in a Tig my local dealer showed me an R-Line from November 2018 - yes 2018 - that hadn't been registered and still had all the stickers on it - goodness only knows what they ended up doing with it - who would buy it a car that's a whole model generation behind now?
Depending on what your reply is, one more chance is fair and push for some compensation too. 2 services would be a good result.
If the result is not as you wanted, then yes reject the car and try elsewhere. You've been patient so far.
MY2020 Indium Grey Tiguan R-Line Tech 150 TDi 4Motion DSG & leather.