Newbie... questions and opinion sought

New to the Tiguan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Stewey

Newbie... questions and opinion sought

Post by Stewey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Hello,

After what seems like an age of researching, sitting in cars and reading this forum I've finally settled on a Tiguan.

I will be ordering a new Tiguan in the next couple of days and it's down to a choice of a Match, 1.5 petrol, manual with the Dynamic Light Assist headlights option (driving at night is becoming more difficult as I get older!) OR stumping up an extra £1500 (after discounts) and getting an SEL which has these lights as standard but only comes as a DSG.

I appreciate this is a personal choice, but does anyone have an opinion on the trade offs between the two..? Which are broadly

Manual
vs
DSG

Match: Park Assist and Camera.
vs
SEL: Externally slightly smarter.
Some internal trim differences.
Active Info Display.
Panoramic Sunroof.
Electric (Driver) & heated front seats.
Microfleece upholstery(!?).
CarNet Security/Service.

Actually writing it down it seems like you get a lot for 1500 extra, but are they as important as the salesman would have you believe?

For Context, I am test driving a DSG Friday (never driven one before) and we kept our last car until it died, so resale values may not be relevant (but you never know).

Cheers in advance for any helpful thoughts

Be gentle ... :)

Kugaman1

Re: Newbie... questions and opinion sought

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Its a total no brainer.
Buy the SEL.
Much more car for little more money.

As you say it doesn't matter, but resale would be much better.

Myself and countless others with DSG woukdnt go back to manual now.
Silver R Line Tech 230.....2.0TSi with Dynaudio, sidescan and TPMS as options.Lovely Jubbly

Beancounter27

Post by Beancounter27 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:19 pm

No brainer- got to be the SEL. The massage driver seat and the superb headlamps are almost worth the premium alone let alone the wonderful sunroof and much more attractive appearance with the larger alloys etc. DSG gearbox is a joy to use.
Indium Grey 180 TSi SEL 4wd DSG, Heated screen, wireless charger, heated steering wheel, 230v boot socket, tow bar, no badges, power tailgate

alanbathurst

Post by alanbathurst » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:29 pm

I had a dislike of automatic transmission until I drove a dsg skoda....i now have a dsg tiguan nothing would persuade me to return to a manual.
You still have control of the gears if you so wish.
Also try as hard as i can i cannot beat the fuel economy of the dsg over maual control.
MK2 150 R Line white :D DSG

KBEE

Post by KBEE » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:32 pm

Definitely the SEL.

If you’re already thinking about paying for a headlight-related upgrade, the LED lights on the SEL are absolutely worth it.

Park Assist is nice, but I only use it very occasionally. Might be different if you often use on road parking I guess. Same with the rear camera really - it’s good but the SEL still gets parking sensors front and back so you’re covered really. Besides both of those features only really shine when you have the full Area View system and that’s another upgrade away...

The only thing I’d suggest you consider adding to the SEL is the powered tailgate (not that you get that on the Match anyway).

The DSG is good. I changed from a manual car and now wouldn’t want to go back.

I love my Tiguan - you’ve made a great choice. Good luck with it!
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 1.5 Petrol DSG, Indium Grey

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Got to be the SEL just for the active info upgrade alone, you will regret not getting the SEL if you do not buy it.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 pm

You have already decided you want the LED headlights so that makes that the easy bit.

Resale may not be relevant right now but should you need to sell it any car that has had options fitted will still only go for the standard book price regardless of how much those options cost you in the first place.

The DSG makes driving so easy. If you haven't driven an auto before it may take a while before you feel comfortable with it but once you get used to it you will never want a manual gearbox again.

Having said that if you go for the Match it is a really nice car, but given the choice between the two if you can afford the extra £1500 get the SEL.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

hteepee

Post by hteepee » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Looks like a few have beaten me to a response. I'd never driven an automatic (at all) in my 50 years of driving! I traded in my Passat 170 deisel two years ago for a 6 month old demonstrator Tiguan 190 DSG 4motion R-Line deisel. The DSG makes it a dream to drive and should you ever wish to go manual there are the paddles on the steering wheel. Certainly in busy traffic, not having to think about gears, clutch, hand brake plus the quick get away in sports mode is perfect. The LED headlights with built in cornering light in the main headlight is unbeatable. I would not now be without DSG or LED. £1500 IMHO would be money well spent! HTH!
R-Line 190 4Motion DSG White. Swivel Towbar Running Boards.

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 am

DSG over manual, as at least you have the option of putting it into manual (not that I ever do, apart from occasional spirited drive via the paddles),.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display and Swivelling Tow Bar

scifipleb

Post by scifipleb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 am

My tuppence...

Active Info Display - Nice to have but after the initial toying, I don't know if I'd pay for it.
Panoramic Sunroof - Pointless in this country IMHO, especially when you have air con.
Electric (Driver) & heated front seats - Wouldn't be without heated front seats these days. Electric is nice to have for sure.
Microfleece upholstery(!?) - Feels great to touch but arguably pointless
CarNet Security/Service. - Is this the thing that calls the VW centre if they detect a crash? Definitely gives peace of mind, fingers crossed never need it!

If these are the only differences then do what you need to do. SEL is a popular trim I believe and probably for a good reason. If it has the DCC then that's also a nice to have but I always leave mine in comfort.

Return to “Introductions”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.