Got stuck in mud

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
okenemem

Got stuck in mud

Post by okenemem » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 am

I always thought highly of my off road abilities in my bitdi . But tonight it let me down, I turnt on to a field and got stuck in the mud . Front wheels where deeper than rear as a result of me trying to get out . VW assit said 3 hours , but fortunately my mate came and got me out .

Anyone else had a off road experience??

How was it ?

CNC

Re: Got stuck in mud

Post by CNC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 am

I don't really think the Tiguan is an off road vehicle in the sense of a 4X4, its an on road all wheel drive system with the ability to send drive to any of the four wheels but not at the same time which is where it starts to go wrong when in off road conditions and you unfortunately find yourself in trouble.

The Tiguan doesn't have a true diff lock like some other VW models which would be a huge help, and I suspect you also have road tyres which will never perform well in off road conditions.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 am

A few people think it is fairly capable off road https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... n+off+road
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 am

I remember seeing a discovery years ago being pulled off the silverstone caravan site by a tractor, it was stuck in mud...
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 am

Couple of years back I visited a caravan site with my mk1 4motion towing the caravan, and the ground was saturated. Didn't get stuck until the far end of the field when the caravan weight proved too much. Unhitched and moved the Tig no problem, and used the caravan mover to position the van on the higher dryer pitch. Going in and out through the mud wasn't a problem, and when it came to leave I came up with a 6 wheel drive solution.

I hitched up, left the motor mover engaged, and crawled out at just above idle, simultaneously driving the motor mover. Mud was very squidgy and fully tyre deep but it made it!

Another site in Yorkshire not so muddy but slippery and the way out was up the steep grass slope. Neighbouring caravan with a fwd Citroen saloon just couldn't move his van when leaving, so I hitch the Tig and sailed up the hill no problem.

So not as capable as a landrover, but competent enough even when towing.

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 am

Sorry to read your issues.

You have not said but i assume your car has the different drive mode settings and tried the off-road settings?
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

scifipleb

Post by scifipleb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:28 am

It's not proper 4x4. Even if it was, if no wheels have traction, you're screwed anyway :)

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:02 am

xtrailman wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 am
I remember seeing a discovery years ago being pulled off the silverstone caravan site by a tractor, it was stuck in mud...
I recall that picture, but thought it was a RangeRover.
near Chester, UK
Sept 2015 Match 150PS TDI 4Motion DSG (hers) - thinking of a mk2, maybe an Allspace, for him. :)
Added Sept 2018 SEAT Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi 2WD manual to the family 'fleet'.

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 am

It does not matter what 4X4 you have if all four wheels have no traction your going no where.

You need at least one wheel having traction to move.

There is also a difference between 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive.

Four-Wheel Drive
This one is the old-school version. 4WD can also be referred to as Four by Four and is used on off-road vehicles or for vehicles that have all-terrain capabilities.
In this system, power travels from the engine, through the transmission, and finally to the transfer case. Power is split among the rear and front axles to enable the torque to be evenly applied to each wheel. This is not a new process and has also been used in modern Jeeps which can tackle almost all off-road obstacles.

The modern 4WD systems can now be activated with switches or buttons rather than the usual manual levers, and also include several settings for the system. These systems typically have two gears:

4WD High – This gear is used to split power, having less uniformly allowing for ‘limited slip’ of the outside and inside wheels. This corrects the spinning, locked inside wheel issue by directing more power to the wheel that has traction.
4WD Low - This gear limits the speed of the wheel and is suitable for the arduous terrain. It is also not advisable to go too fast while using the 4WD Low; things start to break.

All-Wheel Drive
All-Wheel Drive is a new modernism and is apparently more intricate. In the AWD system, power is channelled to the wheels that have the most traction by dividing the torque between the rear and front axles in the centre differential, and in the individual wheels using the rear and front differentials.
Currently, computers have been incorporated in many AWD systems. Sensors in the wheels keep track of traction, the speed of the wheels, and other data points in hundreds of times per second. An Engine Control Unit (ECU) determines where power is channelled to and to which wheel depending on the one that has the highest grip.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

okenemem

Post by okenemem » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:35 am

So which version does tiguan have