Car Net - Internet Connectivity

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
BKC

Car Net - Internet Connectivity

Post by BKC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi All,

Just looking to confirm something about Car Net and general internet connectivity for my FY20 Tig.

For Car Net is it true that I can only use it in the following ways:

1). Via a wifi connection to a WLAN i.e. outside my house which is kind of pointless :)

2). Tethering via my phone's hotspot i.e. the Tig is using my phones data

3). Via a dongle / SIM that's connected directly to a USB input.

Thanks in Advance,
BKC
MY20 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI * 150HP 6 Speed Manual * Indium Grey Metallic * 19" Sebring Alloys * Black Leather Vienna Pack * Easy Open Package * Sunroof * Driver Assist * Side Scan * Dynamic Road Sign Display *

nickymartin

Re: Car Net - Internet Connectivity

Post by nickymartin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 pm

If you have the VW dongle (dataplug) installed - plugged in under the dash on the drivers side. It gives some extra internet connectivity for certain VW specific services. I'm guessing it must must have a SIM card of some type in it.

Not sure if you've tried it. It's quite interesting, you get 3 years free connectivity. It allows you to see the status of the car remotely on your phone (e.g. windows up/down, bonnet closed, boot up etc) and a fairly cool feature is it allows you to lock and unlock the car remotely using your phone.
2020 R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 150 DSG - Vienna Leather - Indium Grey

------------
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI 150 4Motion DSG - Keyless Entry - Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar - Indium Grey

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Yes you are right on 2 of them. Your no 3. I don't think the dongle works as an internet dongle plugged into one of the 2 USB connectors in front of the gear lever (somebody please correct me if I am wrong on that). The dongles we mention here are wifi dongles and use as such you would use you mobile phone hotspot.
This connection is to run Guide & Inform part of Car Net. The Security & Service part of Car Net runs through the inbuilt SIM within the infotainment system. You only get Security & Service with either an R Line or SEL models in the UK.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Tiguan SWB SEL 2.0 TDI 4Motion 150PS 7-Speed DSG MY2019 White Silver. Collected 26/10/18
&
Tiguan SWB Match 2.0TDi 150PS DSG Caribbean Blue (Wife's car). Collected 23/4/19

BKC

Post by BKC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Ok so I've installed "We Connect" on my phone and I can see info on my Tig from my phone.

Doors Closed, Boot Closed, Bonnet Closed, Windows Closed ,Lights Off etc. I also have the ability to unlock remotely and to turn horn and signals on aswell but I need to update my security settings with VW before that's approved via the app.

What threw me off is I was driving earlier and I hit the Car Net Icon on the radio and it said I need a LAN connection. I'm not sure if the dongle should provide the internet access or if I need to tether from my phone.

Thnx,
MY20 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI * 150HP 6 Speed Manual * Indium Grey Metallic * 19" Sebring Alloys * Black Leather Vienna Pack * Easy Open Package * Sunroof * Driver Assist * Side Scan * Dynamic Road Sign Display *

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:01 pm

You will need a WLAN connection to go into that section of Car Net which is mainly the Guide & Inform section. As you rightly pointed out by using your phone or a wifi dongle.

Tiguan SWB SEL 2.0 TDI 4Motion 150PS 7-Speed DSG MY2019 White Silver. Collected 26/10/18
&
Tiguan SWB Match 2.0TDi 150PS DSG Caribbean Blue (Wife's car). Collected 23/4/19

BKC

Post by BKC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks for confirming! I wasn't sure if the data plug should provide access to Guide & Inform.

I'll play around with it some more and will report back, thanks again!

-BKC

gerge

Post by gerge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:49 am

I have a OnePlus 6. When they're my internet the car connects to the wlan no problem but no data is flowing. It tries for a while and the gives me an error message. Do you have any suggestions on settings one could play around with to get it working. Sharing the internet with other devices worked perfectly well.
2.0 TDI 4MOTION 190ps Highline

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:17 am

Does your phone have android 9 or 10, if so It my require a software update to your infotainment unit for it to work.

With my new phone none of the guide and inform would work.

Carnet technical sorted out everything with my dealer.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

TIGeRLine

Post by TIGeRLine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Sorry to hi jack the thread, but I have a question which is sort of related.
I’ve seen on here that some people have the ability to lock and unlock the car via the we-connect app. I have a 2018 car with “Guide and Inform Plus” but all I can do via the app is send destinations and request condition reports.
Is this because I don’t have an emergency assist button in the car?
2018 R-Line 240 Bi-TDI 4Motion.
Discover Nav Pro.
KESSY.
Electric Tailgate.
Area View.
8 Speakers.
Exterior Badge Delete.
Pure White.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:15 pm

TIGeRLine wrote:Sorry to hi jack the thread, but I have a question which is sort of related.
I’ve seen on here that some people have the ability to lock and unlock the car via the we-connect app. I have a 2018 car with “Guide and Inform Plus” but all I can do via the app is send destinations and request condition reports.
Is this because I don’t have an emergency assist button in the car?
That is right. The SOS emergency button comes with Security & Service. It is this that also runs the remote lock/unlock function and is only available on MY19 cars with Security & Service onwards.

&

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.