That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
User avatar
Privatedoc
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:11 am
Location: East Ayrshire

That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by Privatedoc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm

I know there are several threads about this but I wondered if anyone has had a go at retrofitting a reverse camera themselves....fitting in scotland runs to about £300 so all up 8-900 squid which is bonkers. I've found a german site that can supply all the parts and even include a dongle to code it afterwards and was wondering if anyone had done this???

https://www.kufatec.com/en/volkswagen/v ... -ad1-41440

looks like a complete kit with vw parts, I've reasonable experience of fitting stuff to cars but wonder if this might be a job to far??

yes I know there have been past threads but they seem to fizzle out without any conclusions, hence bringing up this old chestnut.

(I fitted an aftermarket camera to our Amarok and it was dead easy as I'd put a new pioneer head unit in)

thanks in advance folks

John
Tiguan SE Nav 150 DSG TDi 4-Motion Ruby Red
Amarok Highline BiTurbo Chestnut
T-Roc SE Design 1.6 TDi Ravenna Blue
UP! Move up! Pearl Black

Gone - Golf R, Golf R Estate, Up!white.3 dr and 5dr, Polo SE 3dr & 5Dr, UP! GTi 3Dr

Totally VW addicts. !

JK-VWTiguanR
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:10 pm

I think they fizzle out as the costs are too high for people to justify, do not know anyone who has asked and actually had it fitted.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

CNC
Posts: 2103
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by CNC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:46 pm

Privatedoc wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm
I know there are several threads about this but I wondered if anyone has had a go at retrofitting a reverse camera themselves....fitting in scotland runs to about £300 so all up 8-900 squid which is bonkers. I've found a german site that can supply all the parts and even include a dongle to code it afterwards and was wondering if anyone had done this???

https://www.kufatec.com/en/volkswagen/v ... -ad1-41440

looks like a complete kit with vw parts, I've reasonable experience of fitting stuff to cars but wonder if this might be a job to far??

yes I know there have been past threads but they seem to fizzle out without any conclusions, hence bringing up this old chestnut.

(I fitted an aftermarket camera to our Amarok and it was dead easy as I'd put a new pioneer head unit in)

thanks in advance folks

John
This may be useful https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/2037 ... 5g1054634/
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

DadsCar
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by DadsCar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:26 pm

I’ve had our R line for about 3 weeks and whilst I find the ‘area view’ quite useful for last minute parking tweaks, I prefer using my neck to look out the back as opposed to looking at the camera - I just don’t trust a camera as you have no peripheral vision. Totally pointless and borderline dangerous imho, I’d save my money!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LspaceJ
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by LspaceJ » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 pm

DadsCar wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:26 pm
I’ve had our R line for about 3 weeks and whilst I find the ‘area view’ quite useful for last minute parking tweaks, I prefer using my neck to look out the back as opposed to looking at the camera - I just don’t trust a camera as you have no peripheral vision. Totally pointless and borderline dangerous imho, I’d save my money!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's neither totally pointless nor borderline dangerous. It's a driving aid. It's designed to be used in combination with normal driving skills, like looking out the back and sides. It's not a replacement for common sense checks. In this respect, the cameras work very well and are well worth having.
2018 180 TSI R-line in Atlantic Blue

User avatar
DW58
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 pm
Location: Moray

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by DW58 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:57 am

LspaceJ wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 pm
DadsCar wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:26 pm
I’ve had our R line for about 3 weeks and whilst I find the ‘area view’ quite useful for last minute parking tweaks, I prefer using my neck to look out the back as opposed to looking at the camera - I just don’t trust a camera as you have no peripheral vision. Totally pointless and borderline dangerous imho, I’d save my money!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's neither totally pointless nor borderline dangerous. It's a driving aid. It's designed to be used in combination with normal driving skills, like looking out the back and sides. It's not a replacement for common sense checks. In this respect, the cameras work very well and are well worth having.
I have a debilitating illness which limits my mobility and movement. I find the reversing camera a great aid, much more than the irritating reversing sensors. I’d hate to be without it.
Rob
_______________________________
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSi 190PS DSG 4Motion
• Atlantic Blue
• Keyless entry & hands free boot
• Winter pack/heated seats
• Area view/Park assist
• 230v socket
• Michelin Cross-Climate SUV
• Carista

SkyJawa
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by SkyJawa » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 am

First time I’ve ever heard anyone call a rev cam dangerous. :lol: :roll:
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

DadsCar
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by DadsCar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 am

Well, aside from anyone who is physically unable to turn around, I’d put it down as another technological gimmick that ‘looks cool’ but serves no real purpose. For years cars were made without them and we weren’t constantly hitting walls and cars when reversing. We just used our eyes. And I genuinely think reliance on technology makes us less aware of our surroundings in cars. It isn’t possible to use the camera and look for pedestrians and objects outside if it’s very limited field of view at the same time. So yes, I think they’re pointless and dangerous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
mrew42
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 am
Location: Havering

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by mrew42 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:42 am

Viva la difference as they say in France.
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

TIGeRLine
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:24 am
Location: West Country.

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by TIGeRLine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 am

To be honest, I never look at the camera when I reverse, I use my mirrors and listen to the beeps from the parking sensors.
Don’t think I’d go as far as calling it dangerous though, and I certainly wouldn’t miss it if it wasn’t there.
Surround View on the other hand I find very useful and use a lot, mainly for checking my position within the boundary lines of parking spaces.
2018 R-Line 240 Bi-TDI 4Motion.
Discover Nav Pro.
KESSY.
Electric Tailgate.
Area View.
8 Speakers.
Exterior Badge Delete.
Pure White.

Post Reply