That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
Essjay

Re: That old Rev Camera Chestnut !

Post by Essjay » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:46 am

DadsCar wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 am
Well, aside from anyone who is physically unable to turn around, I’d put it down as another technological gimmick that ‘looks cool’ but serves no real purpose. For years cars were made without them and we weren’t constantly hitting walls and cars when reversing. We just used our eyes. And I genuinely think reliance on technology makes us less aware of our surroundings in cars. It isn’t possible to use the camera and look for pedestrians and objects outside if it’s very limited field of view at the same time. So yes, I think they’re pointless and dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting perspective, and one that you’re totally entitled to hold. However, I’m not sure though that many here would take the same view 😏

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, but MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres

TIGeRLine

Post by TIGeRLine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 am

DadsCar wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 am
I genuinely think reliance on technology makes us less aware of our surroundings in cars
Totally agree with that.
2018 R-Line 240 Bi-TDI 4Motion.
Discover Nav Pro.
KESSY.
Electric Tailgate.
Area View.
8 Speakers.
Exterior Badge Delete.
Pure White.

DadsCar

Post by DadsCar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm

I guess I’m saying that over reliance on the camera is dangerous. And I suspect that over time if you’re not careful it’s easy to rely on it more and more. I also have a Mark 6 golf cabriolet and even with the hood up and parking sensors I find it easy to reverse using the mirrors. I certainly wouldn’t spend money on fitting one if it wasn’t already there on my R line Tiguan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Ok, my twopenneth: The camera is not a sensing aid like the parking sensors, it's totally visual. Your car has blind spots from the C pillars. Even with the ability of an owl to swivel your head 360 you can't see everything and immediately behind you from inside, nor from the door mirrors which cut off at the sides of the car.

The camera is outside at the back and gives you a wide field of view to see with your own eyes what's behind.

Yes, before cameras we did used to reverse into things, I've done it, reversed into a cast iron bollard, painted Black, in the dark, which was below the height of the boot lid. So it does save accidents, improves our sight where we're going and does not make us lazy. Thinking we can see everything perfectly well, and don't need the extra vision is what's dangerous.

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Everyone is entitled to there personal views but for me, i love using the camera for parking, lets me see distances ect, with the best vision in the world you can not judge your rear distance from a door mirror.

All aids are gratefully used and a welcome addition.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

DW58

Post by DW58 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:16 pm

JK-VWTiguanR wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:04 pm
Everyone is entitled to there personal views but for me, i love using the camera for parking, lets me see distances ect, with the best vision in the world you can not judge your rear distance from a door mirror.

All aids are gratefully used and a welcome addition.
Hear hear!
Rob

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:30 pm

I too am in favour. Lets not forget the "fish eye" setting to help see what's coming down the road when reversing out of a blind spot. No we shouldn't rely on it alone but yes I'm glad it's there as an assistance to me looking and not just a technological gimmick in my opinion. The centre line for backing up to a trailer hitch is handy too.
Tiguan SWB R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG - Tow bar
Ordered 11/08/18 ///Build date 21/01/19///In Transit 19/01/19 (early)///Arrived in UK 24/01/19
Collected 16/2/19 🎉

Wolfsburger

Post by Wolfsburger » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Rear cam...handy, but...

Didn't have one on my 2016 SE, have one a standard on my 2020 Match.

Disappointing! Thank goodness I didn't pay extra, and that the car has beepers as well as the camera.

Useless perhaps half the time, at least during the winter wethaer we've been getting, because the camera is either covered in shite or so wet that the view is of very little value for reversing.
This past week or so, I've been turning the cam off, and relying on the beepers...and eyes of course!

My old Golf had one, but hidden inside the rear VW badge, which sort of popped out once reverse was selected. This kept the cam relatively clean and dry.
Having now to get out and wipe the lens of a reversing camera is not a step forward..imho.

I think my brother's posh Volvo has a water jet to clean the cam, much like the headlights (on that car...never had that fitted to my VWs).

Certainly not worth the sort of costs that the OP was talking about for a retrofit...imho...

More half-arsed pseudo tech, imho... or perhaps VW corner cutting?
Tig 1. 2017. SE Nav, DSG, 4 Motion, Diesel 150, keyless with electric tailgate, after market towbar (Whitter)
Tig 2. 2020. As above, but "Match" trim.
Both leased.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Wolfsburger, I assume from what your saying that you are unaware that if you push the wiper lever forward whilst in reverse it will wash the rear camera!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, but MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres

DW58

Post by DW58 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:25 pm

The addition of a wash function to the reversing camera is brilliant. The camera on my Mk.7 Golf is always a bit grubby despite being hidden in its little house behind the “VW” badge.

Whilst on the subject can anyone tell me the capacity of the washer tank please?
Rob

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.