4 wheel drive indication

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Budgie

4 wheel drive indication

Post by Budgie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Is there any indication on the dash when 4 wheel drive is actually engaged? If there isn't how would you know it's actually functioning.
I recently powered out of an empty wet roundabout to see what would happen and felt the car tightening it's line quite dramatically.
Presumably power was going to the back wheels as well at that point but here was nothing to tell me it was.
Some time ago while on holiday abroad I hired a Jeep Renegade and that had a dash light to tell me when it was in use.
On dirt roads it was always flashing away.
Tiguan SEL 2.0TDI 4WD 190PS DSG. Tungsten Silver and DCC.

akk

Re: 4 wheel drive indication

Post by akk » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:12 pm

Answer is that system is allways four wheel drive, but amount of power sent to the front and rear axel varies.

viewtopic.php?t=5073
Tiguan 1.4 TSI Comfortline 4motion DSG with nav, keyless doors&boot,folding mirrors, ergocomfort seats, AID, dynamic leds, aux heater and tow bar

CNC

Post by CNC » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:23 pm

There is no indication it is working, probably worse is there is no indication it is not working.

Usually caused by the strainer not being cleaned as it is not part of the haldex service which seems rather odd to me. I would ask for the strainer to be cleaned when it has a haldex oil change https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... mp-people/
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 pm

An indication of it not working is the front wheels slipping.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

Budgie

Post by Budgie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Mine is obviously working correctly. I should have read up on haldex first but thought it was a part time system as on the Jeep.
It's going for its 3 year and haldex service this Wednesday. Cleaning the strainer is on my list of requests when I can speak to someone who knows what I'm talking about! Would never have known about it but for this forum.
Tiguan SEL 2.0TDI 4WD 190PS DSG. Tungsten Silver and DCC.

CNC

Post by CNC » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Budgie wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 pm
Cleaning the strainer is on my list of requests when I can speak to someone who knows what I'm talking about! Would never have known about it but for this forum.
Maybe print this article and take it with you in case they deny any knowledge of a blocked strainer problem.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/h ... an.379347/
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged