Loving my new R-Line but unsure if I need GAP

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Nickosbad

Loving my new R-Line but unsure if I need GAP

Post by Nickosbad » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi all, I picked up my new R-Line 2 months ago and am so pleased with it.

I was unsure if the 1.5 TSI would be powerful enough but it's great and the fuel economy is good too!

Anyway, the one thing I haven't done yet and I can't seem to get much clarity on if I actually need it or not is the GAP insurance.

I bought on PCP with only a small deposit (there was a significant discount though) and I am insured through Direct Line

It looks like Direct Line will replace the vehicle if it was written off but I can't get an answer on what they would do if I wanted a cash settlement

Have any/most of you got GAP insurance? If so how long and how much cover did you go for?

Cheers

Nick

CJJE

Re: Loving my new R-Line but unsure if I need GAP

Post by CJJE » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm

One thing to check is if you bought a standard R-Line, or if you configured a factory build with your choice of extras added.

I'm told that when car insurance companies offer a replacement should it get stolen or written off in the first year, in fact they only provide you with the standard off-the-shelf vehicle rather than matching your factory build.
Tornado Red Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG at present... Was looking to order a facelifted Tiguan SEL in 2020 - if they offer one in a bright blue again! :)

Fastbuck

Post by Fastbuck » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Direct line provide a like for like replacement in the first 12 months if repair is more than 60% of value. Not sure how well you’d fare if looking for cash

There are GAP polices for sale elsewhere on this site that you can start from year 2 onwards
2019 Tiguan 2.0 TSI 4Motion 190 PSI DSG R Line Tech in white

John27

Post by John27 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Most, but not all, insurance companies will replace the car within the first 12 months in the event of a total loss. I am not sure if they will do a cash settlement though.

On gap insurance, for its cost, it is in my opinion worth having. I have just taken out a three year policy (to cover years 2- 4 inc) for £240 with ALA. However, there are different types of gap insurance. For example, I have cover for back to the invoice price but you can get cover to take you back to the replacement cost (which allows for price rises) but if you want this higher cover, with ALA, you do need to take the policy out within 90 days of getting the car (the rules might be different for other insurers).

Different insurers have offers and there can be differences in prices for similar cover (there are lots of discount codes around as well - I got 25% discount on mine). There are also other policies for difference levels of cover and for those who buy on finance and lease etc. I am sure, other members of the forum can make recommendations but it is worth ensuring you get the coverage you want and that you take the policy out at the right time. For that reason, it is worth looking now and deciding what you want to do.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

Nickosbad

Post by Nickosbad » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies....

The R-Line was a standard spec (I didn't add anything) but the bit I can't quite figure out is what happens in the event of a loss...

Some of you have cover for years 2-4 etc but if the insurer replaces the car in year 1 in the event of a loss then that is not much help as VW would still require their money??

This is all so confusing!

Notty

Post by Notty » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 pm

My GAP is for 4 years and cost around £250 used which magazine recommended firm - its a no brainer
2019 R Line
Iridium, Grey
Power Tailgate - Keyless
Vienna leather
Garmin dash Cam 55

rcgbob44

Post by rcgbob44 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Personally I would never buy an R line with such a small engine and from what I've seen on various sale sites, they do not retain their resale value as much as the larger engined models.
2017 VW Tiguan SE Nav 2.0 Diesel 150.

scifipleb

Post by scifipleb » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:42 pm

rcgbob44 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:32 pm
Personally I would never buy an R line with such a small engine and from what I've seen on various sale sites, they do not retain their resale value as much as the larger engined models.
How very helpful and relevant /s

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm

rcgbob44 wrote:

Evidence from the majority of valuation services is suggesting that all diesel car residual values are gradually falling, not collapsing, but still falling, regardless of engine size.

The major reason for people using diesel is for higher mileage drivers the fuel costs can be significantly better than petrol, and for lower mileage drivers, diesel is probably not a viable alternative due to possible DPF problems. Whether this cost saving by using diesel balances the loss of residual cost will be dependant on individual’s circumstances, whether it’s an outright purchase, or a company lease etc.

Diesel cars are a long way from disappearing from our roads for the time being!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, but MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 pm

rcgbob44 wrote:
Personally I would never buy an R line with such a small engine
Why not?. The 1.5 TSI gets lots of great reviews and puts out 150PS - which is exactly the same as your diesel.

Engine size is irrelevant to me, as long as it does the job it is intended for what more can you ask.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged