Loving my new R-Line but unsure if I need GAP

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Rich-O

Re: Loving my new R-Line but unsure if I need GAP

Post by Rich-O » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 pm

Has anyone ever used GAP insurance or know anyone who has?
R-Line Tech TSI 230 4-Motion DSG - Indium Grey, Leather, Side Scan

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:22 pm

Yes, my brother in law claimed on gap
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

KBEE

Post by KBEE » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 pm

I’m also with Direct Line so decided I’d rely on their “new replacement if written off in the first 12 months” cover. However I did buy Gap insurance through ALA just before 6 months for a 3 year period to take me up to 3.5 years (my PCP is 4 years).

It’s a low cost for extra peace of mind. Look on MoneySavingExpert for discount codes before you buy.

And obviously don’t bother with the offers for GAP from VW dealers - you can get cover far cheaper if you buy it direct.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 1.5 Petrol DSG, Indium Grey

John27

Post by John27 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:32 am

KBEE wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 pm

It’s a low cost for extra peace of mind. Look on MoneySavingExpert for discount codes before you buy.

And obviously don’t bother with the offers for GAP from VW dealers - you can get cover far cheaper if you buy it direct.
Absolutely agree.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

Nickosbad

Post by Nickosbad » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 am

KBEE wrote:
I’m also with Direct Line so decided I’d rely on their “new replacement if written off in the first 12 months” cover. However I did buy Gap insurance through ALA just before 6 months for a 3 year period to take me up to 3.5 years (my PCP is 4 years).

How does this work with VW Finance...I was told the finance is on the specific vehicle so if it is written off then they would need settlement and wouldn't accept the replacement....or was this information wrong??

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 am

Replacement vehicle just means they will pay you the difference between the ins payout and what it would cost to put you back in the exact same car. The finance on the old one is settled and you would order again.

Return to invoice means they will pay the difference between the ins payout and what you originally paid (so this doesn't cover getting you back in the same car if the price has gone up).
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

KBEE

Post by KBEE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Nickosbad wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 am
KBEE wrote:

How does this work with VW Finance...I was told the finance is on the specific vehicle so if it is written off then they would need settlement and wouldn't accept the replacement....or was this information wrong??
If you’ve got Finance, GAP is (arguably) even more important, as it will bridge the “gap” between what your insurance might pay out if your car is written off, and the balance of what you owe on finance.

It’s best not to think about the car itself - if the car is a write off, it’s gone. What you then need to worry about is settling what you owe and then -hopefully- having enough cash for a deposit on a replacement car and then starting a new finance deal on that.

I assume with Direct Line’s replacement car in the first 12 months, they sort out the finance side for you. I’ve not had to use it (thankfully!) so not 100% sure.

The main thing you can be sure of, one way or another you’ll still have to pay for the car!
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 1.5 Petrol DSG, Indium Grey

scrounger

Post by scrounger » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:02 am

Simple answers is YES!!

Buy from ALA and use the discount code MSE25 to get 25% off. You can also pause your GAP for 12 months if your current insurer offers old for new for 12 months.
Tiguan R-Line Tech 190 DSG 4Motion in White

PokeItWithAStick

Post by PokeItWithAStick » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:57 am

Personally I think GAP insurance is a rip off.

Your car is already insured. And should you lose money due to an ageing car losing value, then so be it. That's the nature of the beast. Whether you have outstanding finance or not makes no difference.

I guarantee that over a lifetime you will spend more on GAP insurance than you would lose on a write off.

Personally, I think you should only insure what you can't afford to lose/cover ie house, car, travel medical bills etc.
Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI DSG SEL 2WD. Black, grey leather seating, Dynaudio.

John27

Post by John27 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:09 am

PokeItWithAStick wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:57 am
Personally I think GAP insurance is a rip off.

Your car is already insured. And should you lose money due to an ageing car losing value, then so be it. That's the nature of the beast. Whether you have outstanding finance or not makes no difference.

I guarantee that over a lifetime you will spend more on GAP insurance than you would lose on a write off.

Personally, I think you should only insure what you can't afford to lose/cover ie house, car, travel medical bills etc.
Like all such things, this is a personal choice. I expect my Tig (in a normal market but we live in unusual times) to lose about 30% in depreciation over 3 years based upon my previous Mk2 Tig (difference between what I paid new and trade-in obtained). That is in the region of £10k. My gap insurance was only £240 for coverage up to 4 years (first year is covered by my main insurer so gap only covers years 2-4). So assume a total loss in year 3, that £240 policy will be worth about £10k to me. I accept it is unlikely that I will suffer a total loss and never claim but it is piece of mind and reassures me I can get back into another Tig (if that is what I want).
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation