Excellent front speaker upgrade

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
oldsandals
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:11 am

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by oldsandals » Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 am

On the standard sound system I find the treble too harsh even with the treble at minimum.
Useful youtube video if you're brave enough to have a go at changing the speakers.


carib230sel
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 am

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by carib230sel » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 pm

chrisb wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:34 pm
carib230sel wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 pm
Cool. If I was doing it again I wouldn't use the rivets supplied by Eton: they are super tough to snap. Thinner ones will do.
Done the passenger door today, used threaded inserts so new speaker is now screwed in. Fitted sound deadening to inside and outside of the door. I can def tell difference between them, softer, better bass, and louder. Drivers door on Wednesday. 😄
Glad to hear you like them. Have you got a link for the threaded inserts you used ?

I'm thinking of doing matching rears, smaller size and cheaper but still 2 ohms and still same materials, best price I found is here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eton-Upgrade ... 3820093300
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

chrisb
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Near Oxford UK

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by chrisb » Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 am

carib230sel wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 pm
chrisb wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:34 pm
carib230sel wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 pm
Cool. If I was doing it again I wouldn't use the rivets supplied by Eton: they are super tough to snap. Thinner ones will do.
Done the passenger door today, used threaded inserts so new speaker is now screwed in. Fitted sound deadening to inside and outside of the door. I can def tell difference between them, softer, better bass, and louder. Drivers door on Wednesday. 😄
Glad to hear you like them. Have you got a link for the threaded inserts you used ?

I'm thinking of doing matching rears, smaller size and cheaper but still 2 ohms and still same materials, best price I found is here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eton-Upgrade ... 3820093300


Did the inserts with a rivnut gun bought of amazon, not cheap for small usage but I would have had to buy a riveter anyway and dont like them much. Sorry can’t get link to work, it was
£23.99 esynic 86 pcs. Drilled the holes to 6.5mm and fitted the m4 screw inserts, so easy to use.
I was looking at the rears but not sure if they are for the mk 1 tig only and wouldn’t be plug and play on the mk 2?
Because I’ve only fitted one, my wife noticed the difference straight away, I think her word was smoother! :D

Chris
2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

chrisb
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Near Oxford UK

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by chrisb » Wed May 20, 2020 8:24 am

kucyk wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:11 pm
chrisb wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:34 pm
carib230sel wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 pm
Cool. If I was doing it again I wouldn't use the rivets supplied by Eton: they are super tough to snap. Thinner ones will do.
Done the passenger door today, used threaded inserts so new speaker is now screwed in. Fitted sound deadening to inside and outside of the door. I can def tell difference between them, softer, better bass, and louder. Drivers door on Wednesday. 😄
How hard is to get the speaker replaced? Did you use any manuals?
Instructions come with the speakers but they are plug and play so are exact replacement for the vw ones. The oem vw speakers are made in CZECH REPUBLIC and tweeters in CHINA if anyone is interested.
2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

carib230sel
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 am

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by carib230sel » Wed May 20, 2020 1:57 pm

chrisb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 am

I was looking at the rears but not sure if they are for the mk 1 tig only and wouldn’t be plug and play on the mk 2?

Chris
I think the size of the rears is the same on most recent VW cars. I'll be the guinea pig anyway :)
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

kucyk
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by kucyk » Thu May 21, 2020 9:48 am

chrisb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:24 am
Instructions come with the speakers but they are plug and play so are exact replacement for the vw ones. The oem vw speakers are made in CZECH REPUBLIC and tweeters in CHINA if anyone is interested.

I actually found a great YouTube tutorial 8-)

Highline 2.0 TDI 150HP DSG

chrisb
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Near Oxford UK

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by chrisb » Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm

kucyk wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:48 am
chrisb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:24 am
Instructions come with the speakers but they are plug and play so are exact replacement for the vw ones. The oem vw speakers are made in CZECH REPUBLIC and tweeters in CHINA if anyone is interested.

I actually found a great YouTube tutorial 8-)


If you use a drill like that you could end up with scratches outside the door card that are visible. Keep the drill at 90 degrees to the door at all times :roll:
2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

chrisb
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Near Oxford UK

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by chrisb » Thu May 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Coupl of pics I took today showing inserts installed ready to take screws instead of rivets and sound deadening on inside and outside of door.

F056BB90-502E-4BF9-A3F4-68607560FECE.jpeg

45DA421B-B55F-4755-8334-1567A2D27A67.jpeg

2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

carib230sel
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 am

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by carib230sel » Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Have ordered the rears off German eBay. £132 plus postage.
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

chrisb
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Near Oxford UK

Re: Excellent front speaker upgrade

Post by chrisb » Sat May 23, 2020 3:54 pm

carib230sel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 pm
Have ordered the rears off German eBay. £132 plus postage.
Have sent you a pm.
2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

Post Reply