Scuff plates: air...

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
thend

Scuff plates: air...

Post by thend » Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 am

Hi, I have fitted genuine VW scuff plates to my new Tiguan but the rear ones are not fitted properly, there is some air underneath the foil.
Any idea if I can still solve this? Use a needle for making a little hole, but what if water/dirt gets into it?
Or do I need to remove these and do the job again?
But how do I remove these safely without risk of damaging paint?
Thanks in advance for your advices.

scuff.jpg

2020 1.5TSI 150PS Comfortline manual Indium Grey, left factory 08/03, ATA Belgium 15/03.
Collected 15/05, due to Corona...

Russboy

Re: Scuff plates: air...

Post by Russboy » Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 pm

Apply heat (hairdryer/heatgun) to see if that would soften the adhesive and then try one corner firs to see if they will peel back slightly and go from there.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps with running boards, Blackvue DR750S-2CH, Maxton design front splitter and rear spoiler extension, TPMS, Heads up display, Swivelling Tow Bar, fully lined boot for protection from the hounds!

Hillbilly

Re: Scuff plates: air...

Post by Hillbilly » Wed May 20, 2020 12:32 am

I have done them on several cars and always use water with a teaspoon of dishwash liquid it it to apply them. Smooth them with a credit card sized sqeegee and have a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol to anchor one corner and work from there \\Have done the door sills right down to under them so heels dont get the paint on the outer edges. Also have done the stainless strips with the LEDs in them and the rear bumper from under the alloy protector down to the chrome strip on my Rline Be careful when removing the stuff and heat it as you pull it as I didnt on one new car and it ripped the paint off as someone had scratched it and spraycanned it and not said anything to owner.

bumper view.jpg

MY 19 Tiguan 162TSI R line with DAP and SOUND. White with lots of OBD mods
Blackvue 750 s and DR450 dashcams