First time VW Tiguan Buyer queries - is this the car I hope it will be?!

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Privatedoc

Re: First time VW Tiguan Buyer queries - is this the car I hope it will be?!

Post by Privatedoc » Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm

simple rule....think what you need and add 40%.....You may find the allspace a better prospect. I've had three 6'+ adults plus myself(6'3") and six 25Kg bags of animal feed in the boot (trunk?) certainly filled the car and while no sports car was more than capable of overtaking and holding its own on the motorway....mine is a 150 TDi 4 motion . Its only an SEnav and I really miss a rear camera ! if we have more to haul like moving my boys back from university etc we play CAR TETRIS with the Amarok which is truely cavernous....I've had a washing machine and a tumble dryer on the cab back seats at the same time !
Tiguan SE Nav 150 DSG TDi 4-Motion Ruby Red
Amarok Highline BiTurbo Chestnut
T-Roc SE Design 1.6 TDi Ravenna Blue
UP! Move up! Pearl Black

Gone - Golf R, Golf R Estate, Up!white.3 dr and 5dr, Polo SE 3dr & 5Dr, UP! GTi 3Dr

Totally VW addicts. !

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 am

The standard car is fine, there’s three of us and there’s plenty of room for everything. Before that managed just fine with an Octavia estate and that boot is only a little bigger.
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

CNC

Post by CNC » Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 am

SkyJawa wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 am
The standard car is fine, there’s three of us and there’s plenty of room for everything. Before that managed just fine with an Octavia estate and that boot is only a little bigger.
If you go by the actual boot floor area which is what really matters the Octavia boot is much bigger than a Tiguan boot.

Boot width: Measured just inside the boot opening the Tiguan boot is roughly 1000mm wide, the Octavia 1090mm (or nearly 4 inches wider than the Tiguan).

Boot length: From the bottom of the seat bases to the hatch opening the Tiguan is roughly 800mm, the Octavia 1100mm (a huge 12 inches longer)

Those are considerable differences very much in favour of the Octavia.

Note: Tiguan boot length measured with the rear seats in their most rearward position.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Fri May 22, 2020 1:28 pm

No rear view camera on the standard SEL, which I think is essential on any Tiguan, I've had a rearview camera now since 2009 on 4 SUV's and wouldn't buy one with out one.

Its standard on a 2019 R line.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am

CNC wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 am
SkyJawa wrote:
If you go by the actual boot floor area which is what really matters the Octavia boot is much bigger than a Tiguan boot.

Boot width: Measured just inside the boot opening the Tiguan boot is roughly 1000mm wide, the Octavia 1090mm (or nearly 4 inches wider than the Tiguan).

Boot length: From the bottom of the seat bases to the hatch opening the Tiguan is roughly 800mm, the Octavia 1100mm (a huge 12 inches longer)

Note: Tiguan boot length measured with the rear seats in their most rearward position.
Measurements are all well and good but in real life like luggage to the airport etc, loaded up for a long trip I can get just as much in both. The Tiguan has the added flexibility of the moveable seats too. Admittedly to get roughly the same boot space as the Octavia the seats have to be moved forward but I need to do this about once or twice a year. Not a problem while our young one is little as he has loads of leg room even with the seat forward. Maybe as he heads to double figures it would be not so good but whether we’ll still have it then is another question. We also find the Tiguan is also much roomier in the back with the seats at furthest position for normal daily driving.

I’m just trying to point out that for a family of three it is absolutely fine....
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

CNC

Post by CNC » Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 am

SkyJawa wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am
CNC wrote:
SkyJawa wrote:

Measurements are all well and good but in real life like luggage to the airport etc, loaded up for a long trip I can get just as much in both. We also find the Tiguan is also much roomier in the back with the seats at furthest position

I’m just trying to point out that for a family of three it is absolutely fine....
There is no way you can get anywhere near as much in a Tiguan, they are in completely different leagues as far as luggage capacity is concerned. The Octavia also has more rear leg room in the rear than the Tiguan, even with the Tiguan seats all the way back.

As sad as it may seem I went out and measured both our Tiguan and Octavia boots which is where my measurements came from, the available boot space in our Octavia is considerably more than our Tiguan.

If we need to go anywhere with any amount of luggage we don't even consider taking the Tiguan, we're straight in our Octavia.

People have queried the Tiguan boot capacity on this forum before as it doesn't live up to anywhere near its claimed capacity. The guy with the Mondeo who posted says according to the official figures the Mondeo has a smaller boot than his Tiguan, yet the Tiguan will only take 70% of what his Mondeo will fit! viewtopic.php?t=1469

I'm just trying to make sure the OP doesn't make a mistake knowing what their previous Equinox was like, the Tiguan is by no means comparable for space/size and I think it could be a mistake if they don't look in to it in greater detail.

P.S. I assume you have a Tiguan and not an Allspace?
Last edited by CNC on Sat May 23, 2020 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Rory

Post by Rory » Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am

CNC wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 am
As you are used to the Equinox you will obviously find the Tiguan smaller. I know people have so far said the Tiguan is roomy in the back but I don't think they are used to US cars where a mid size US is equivalent to big in the UK. My previous car makes the Tiguan appear quite small inside for both rear seat passengers and boot capacity.
I had a Chevy Equinox rental car in the US a couple of years ago - it was brand new so I think is still the current version - an incredibly anonymous vehicle, but it's more the size of Touareg, apart from width, than Tiguan. There was only wife and I in it, so I didn't pay much attention to rear seat space but my thinking is it was pretty generous.

VW doesn't sell the current Tiguan in the standard length in the US - they only sell the Allspace version - so the standard one must be considered too small to US eyes.

Trouble is in the UK anything bigger than Tiguan starts to get tricky to fit in many parking spaces.
near Chester, UK
Sept 2015 Match 150PS TDI 4Motion DSG (hers) - thinking of a mk2, maybe an Allspace, for him. :)
Added Sept 2018 SEAT Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi 2WD manual to the family 'fleet'.

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 pm

CNC wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 am
SkyJawa wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am
CNC wrote:

Measurements are all well and good but in real life like luggage to the airport etc, loaded up for a long trip I can get just as much in both. We also find the Tiguan is also much roomier in the back with the seats at furthest position

There is no way you can get anywhere near as much in a Tiguan, they are in completely different leagues as far as luggage capacity is concerned. The Octavia also has more rear leg room in the rear than the Tiguan, even with the Tiguan seats all the way back.

As sad as it may seem I went out and measured both our Tiguan and Octavia boots which is where my measurements came from, the available boot space in our Octavia is considerably more than our Tiguan.

If we need to go anywhere with any amount of luggage we don't even consider taking the Tiguan, we're straight in our Octavia.

People have queried the Tiguan boot capacity on this forum before as it doesn't live up to anywhere near its claimed capacity. The guy with the Mondeo who posted says according to the official figures the Mondeo has a smaller boot than his Tiguan, yet the Tiguan will only take 70% of what his Mondeo will fit! viewtopic.php?t=1469

I'm just trying to make sure the OP doesn't make a mistake knowing what their previous Equinox was like, the Tiguan is by no means comparable for space/size and I think it could be a mistake if they don't look in to it in greater detail.

P.S. I assume you have a Tiguan and not an Allspace?
And I’m simply trying to point out it’s hardly the size of a mini the way this thread seems to be making out :roll:

Then you can always use a roof box, we used a roof box with the Octy and the same one with the Tiguan, there’s never been anything left out of either car packing the same. Maybe we should all be driving x7’s. My wife commented she had so much more room in the back of the Tiguan compared to our Octavia and she never comments on things like that.